Son of Nor supports mind-controlled power use

Tuesday, 14th May 2013 01:49 GMT By Brenna Hillier

That game where you can rearrange the environment using Jedi-like powers? You’ll be able to play it with your mind. Prepare to have your mind blown when you see it in action through the break.

Thanks to a partnership with the developers of Emotive EPOC, Son of Nor developer StillAlive Studios will offer support for the brain computer interface device. The optional peripheral will allow for control of telekinesis, terraforming and magic.

The Emotiv EPOC uses a set of 14 sensors plus two references to “tune into electric signals produced by the brain to detect the user’s thoughts, feelings and expressions in real time”.

Two new pledge tiers have been added to Son of Nor’s Kickstarter campaign, at $300 and $530, which will reward backers with an EPOC headset.

If crowdfunding is successful, Son of Nor will launch on Linux, Mac and PC in the second quarter of 2014.

1. Calryon

That was pretty amazing actually.

#1 1 year ago
  2. silkvg247

Erm.. what? This is surely nonsense.. it’s probably just using motion/muscle tracking. He’s likely raising his eyebrows to lift, and a frown for fireball for example.

The reason I’m skeptical is simple – the video at no point mentions “what” he is thinking. If a device really could read minds, it’d need a trigger.. an event.. to know what to do next. So.. do I think “fire” and a fireball appears? Am I thinking of a picture of a fireball or the word fire? Or am I shouting fireball in my head? In either case do they mean to tell us they can translate any variation of a “fireball thought” into a specific electric signal and translate it into game? Absolute poppycock.. possibly the first blatant con I’ve seen on KS to date.

#2 1 year ago
  3. deathm00n

@2 I think it’s not that simple silk, if I recall correctly there’s some studies about how the brain can adapt to new “body parts”, in this case the game itself. Can you describe me how you move your arms? No you can’t, you simply do. If your brain can see wich electrical signal is triggering the magic in the game with some practice you will be able to do normally. Can’t link you the video wich show a guy controlling the mouse with a similar device because I’m at work. It’s the same concept with mind controlled protesis too.

#3 1 year ago
  4. sh4dow

@2: Have you even read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotiv_Systems

And I saw a demo in the past of somebody moving something in different directions with their thought. I’m not 100% sure that it was this thing but quite possibly, considering all the stuff it says about it right there.

#4 1 year ago
  5. jamesx

I wonder what he is thinking to control the game

#5 1 year ago