Sony “didn’t consider” always online for PS4, Yoshida says

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 11:48 GMT By Alex Donaldson

Sony worldwide studios president Shuhei Yoshida has said that the company didn’t even consider making PS4 always-online in a new interview with GameInformer.

“Did we consider it? No, we didn’t consider it,” Yoshida said when speaking with the magazine for its new PS4 bumper issue, snagged from the magazine by GameEverything (via EG).

“The main reason being that many countries don’t have robust Internet connections,” he explained. “It makes sense for people to have Internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw do not really have robust Internet.”

Yoshida’s comments come after a seemingly endless series of rumours and off-the-record comments suggesting that Microsoft’s new Xbox console may not work without an internet connection. Or perhaps it will. We’ll find out in a few weeks.

Yoshida’s comments make Sony’s position on the matter clear, at least – the PlayStation 4 will work when you’re internet doesn’t. And… breathe.

1. Djoenz

Isnt this BS? Sony has a similar patent.
    Marketing ftw.

#1 1 year ago
  2. CycloneFox

even as I live in a country with a very good infrastructure, even as I Live in a big city there are still times, where i’m changing my Provider, or where my rabbid cut an etherenet cable and the shops are closed or whatever, or i locked myself with a friend and a console in a cabin where is no Internet just to play couch coop or whatever. and at those times, when i have no Internet, i at least want to be able to play.
    I want to be able to get out my console, put in my physical copy of a game and just play it. that’s what i hate about PC games and love about consoles.

good move Sony.

#2 1 year ago
  3. DrDamn

The patent was about used games not requiring an internet connection. They also had a similar used games patent just before PS3 released. Came to nothing.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dragon246

@Djoenz,
    If you know how stupid western patent laws are, you would patent anything you would see.
    They also patented a used game blocking method in 2000, and we know what came of it, nothing.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Moonwalker1982

Yeah Sony…keep talking gibberish. How do we even know that MS actually considered this? It’s all rumours. Very unnessecary stuff for Sony to say this…

#5 1 year ago
  6. nikk900

@5 Woah! Why so angry? He’s simply saying Sony didn’t consider an always online connection for PS4. Calm down.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Moonwalker1982

I’m not angry my friend, just a bit tired of all these unneeded comments from Sony. First they talked about how they didn’t only want FPS on their PS4, but that was never the case anyway with the current consoles..so why even say that? Everything to stay in the news, a bit stupid if you ask me, is all.

Maybe i’m wrong..but this seems like…Sony seeing how much flack MS gets from the media about these rumours and now they are like ‘Hey but we at least never even considered it’ …yeah…ok.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Rudemir

Are you familiar with interviews? It’s not like they put out a press statement to say this? GameInformer asked them because it’s a trending topic with all the rumors about the next Xbox.

I also think the next Xbox won’t have an always online requirement maybe it did at some point but I assume they will change this before release following the public outrage that followed on the rumours.

#8 1 year ago
  9. nikk900

I see it more as people being worried about the rumors and Sony saying “we’re not gonna’ force you to always be online.” Why can’t Microsoft just come out and say this?

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

@5 & @7
    I think the key part of the quote you are missing is “Did we consider it?”. He was asked the question and answered it.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Moonwalker1982

In that case my bad.

As for MS not commenting on it. They always say the usual stuff like..we don’t comment on rumours. Now it’s even about a yet unnanounced system, so of course they are not gonna comment on that.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DrDamn

Agree on MS commenting on it. They can’t be dragged into that sort of thing. Stick to your plan, announce when they want to. It doesn’t matter if internet tongues are wagging. It won’t have an impact in the grand scheme of things.

#12 1 year ago
  13. ps3fanboy

sony confirm yet again something ms cant confirm… sony do the right thing again, and there is no crap talk like ms.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

There is no talk at all. That’s their prerogative. If they had unveiled the thing and were still failing to talk about it then absolutely give them crap. They can’t respond to every rumour the internet chucks at them though. There is plenty of time for them to set out their system and us to pick over it.

#14 1 year ago
  15. theevilaires

Moonwalker1982 = fail :D SONY know what they’re doing with the PS4. They just still don’t know what they’re doing with the PS3. November can’t get here any sooner :(

#15 1 year ago
  16. OlderGamer

Sony +1

They just keep on saying the right things.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Cobra951

Quite reassuring, and so official. I can choose to remain a console gamer next gen, even if Microsoft invalidates their entry with an online requirement. Thanks, Mr Yoshida.

#17 1 year ago