EA’s “major titles” for FY14 using Frostbite 3 won’t be for Wii U

Wednesday, 8th May 2013 19:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

During its call to investors last night, EA mentioned more than once it was working on 11 “major titles” slated for release during its fiscal year 2014 which use its Frostbite 3 engine, including Battlefield 4. However, the firm isn’t planning on shipping any Star Wars title in FY14 and none of the releases using the new engine will be for Wii U.

According to EA, the 11 major titles releases will be down from 13 titles in fiscal year 2013 because its trying to be “fairly focused, and make sure the Gen4 titles [are] off the ground when those boxes are available.”

Today, on twitter, DICE technical director Johan Andersson said that since Frostbite 2 doesn’t run well on Wii U, it decided against trying to get the new iteration running on the console.

“FB3 has never been running on WiiU,” he tweeted. “We did some tests with not too promising results with FB2 and chose not to go down that path.”

Current games in the works using Frostbite 3 – that we know of – include Battlefield 4, the next Mass Effect, Dragon Age 3, and new titles from Visceral and DICE in the Star Wars franchise.
So that leaves all of those out of the running for Wii U.

According to labels president Frank Gibeau: “DICE and Visceral “will produce new games, joining BioWare, which is already developing games for the Star Wars franchise.

“The new games may borrow on films, but will be entirely new stories and new gameplay,” he said last night. “Powering it all will be our Frostbite 3 game engine.”

1. BlockheadBrown

Seriously…

2. Lengendaryboss

Oh Nintendo, you need to step up your game or it will be the Wii scenario all over again.

3. Erthazus

Nintendo need to destroy this POS. Fast.

4. zinc

So… Is EA basically dropping the WiiU? Wasn’t that a contributing factor to the Dreamcasts downfall?

Sounds ominous :-(

5. monkeygourmet

The start of MS and EA’s ‘special friendship’…

I smell ‘Origin’ on Durango in a big way. Maybe a way to combat Steam?

6. dreamcastnews

Wow, this is no doubt a major blow to the Wii U…..

I haven’t seen a console divide the developing community since the N64 with it’s cartridge format. I’d assume the Wii U can run it though? Surely if the 360 and PS3 can? The processor is slower but surely the parts are most power efficient than tech from 2005?

Maybe it is time for Nintendo to put this puppy to bed :/ I do enjoy my Wii U but lack of support plus the really bad internet connection errors that both my machine and my girlfriend’s suffered with means maybe it’s just another ‘Virtual Boy’ for Nintendo, I’m getting a Pro Controller for mine because the gamepad for some games just doesn’t make sense, you can’t exactly look at the thing whilst playing on the TV and the battery is shocking.

I love Nintendo consoles but this one had been a bit of a non-starter and really isn’t doing Nintendo any favours – they should have just released a HD Wii instead, like it or not.

7. The_Red

Yeah. According to Eurogamer, there are 15 EA games that are in the Wii U boycott.

This leaves Take Two and Activision (I excluded Ubi and Warner because they are rather supportive of Wii U). If either one of those 2 (TT or ACT) follows EA, then the Wii U WILL be done, regardless of price drops, 3D Mario / Zeldas and stuff like that.

Nintendo can keep it alive via 1st party titles but just barely. Even Gamecube didn’t get fully dropped by a major publisher.

8. tezzer1985

I’m confused, isn’t the Wii U on par with 360 & PS3, and I’ve read that the console is even slightly more powerful…so why would FB2 not work on it…surely Wii U is easy to develop for then PS3???

9. monkeygourmet

Lol, has someone hacked your account!? ;)

10. The_Red

I don’t think it really has anything to do with Wii U’s power. The major reason is either Wii U’s lackluster performance to date or EA’s grudge from Origin / Nintendo Network stuff.

11. Kabby

They could make it work. There is just no reason for them to make the effort.

12. Phoenixblight

ALl of EA’s games on the Wii bombed so why would they even bother, I mean really. Can’t get mad at a publisher doing what it is supposed to go where the money is.

13. dreamcastnews

@6 haha no, I try to stay as balanced as possible when it comes to the truth really, I know some Sony fans can be blinded into believing all is fine with devices like the Vita but I know the Wii U is in trouble, I love the machine don’t get me wrong but I can still accept when Nintendo make a bit of a blunder. I honestly hope that we see a reverse in fortunes for the machine like the 3DS managed but I fear as The_Red said, it could be all but too late due to terrible sales.

He’s right also with the fact that GameCube was supported by most studios in some form or another and I honestly thought the Wii changed stances on support for Nintendo machines but Ninty have released another home console that has divided the gaming community I’m not talking about those that keep yapping about ‘Nintendo are dooooooomed’ and ‘I can’t wait to play Zelda on my Xbox/PS 700′ those sort of gamers clearly cut off their noses to spite their own faces, I’m talking about the gamers who respect Nintendo for at least trying to do something different in a very ‘samey’ environment but at the same time, want Nintendo to create in what I’d call the ‘Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System’ – something that lives up to the legacy left by the SNES and NES when Nintendo were a force to be reckoned with.

I just can’t forgive them for these issues with the Internet, I kept having connection issues until I daisy-chained a 3rd(!) router right next to the console when my Wii from 2006 is right next to the Wi U and can get a signal from the router downstairs, how do Nintendo expect online eShop growth without the signal strength to even detect a Wireless G router, it’s really stupid but a deal breaker for me.

I’ll keep supporting the machine because some kickass software is coming but it isn’t proving to be the mega hit the Wii was in my household.

14. dreamcastnews

@12 to be fair, I think My Sims, Boom Blox and the early Tiger Woods games did alright on it didn’t they? I remember buying Tiger Woods 07 on release day for Wii and being so disappointed that it was blatantly the cancelled GameCube sub-standard port version – EA were so lazy.

15. zinc

Simple question: Can Ninty afford to scrap the WiiU & develop a new console for 2-3 years time? Or are they just going to try to make it work?

16. monkeygourmet

It’s a good question.

I think they could afford it, but it may make customer confidence may plummet if they did that.

Also, is there room for 3 main consoles in the current climate? Especially now that Steambox / apple may be just around the corner.

My bet would be on another, more powerful handheld device. Either a proper tablet taking parts of Miiverse etc… and expanding on the freedom it would give you compared to the Wii U tablet, or maybe a follow up to the 3DS….

More on par with Vita and stick to handhold releases only.

E3 is going to be most interesting! :)

17. Lengendaryboss

@Monkey
    I guess Nintendo are more successful at handhelds than consoles and it has better third party support compared to Wii U.

18. monkeygourmet

The GBA, DS and 3DS are crazy strong consoles.

Just every kind of amazing game you could want, the 3DS is especially strong at the moment. I’m getting an XL Animal Crossing edition next month! ;)

19. zinc

@16, I don’t ever see Apple entering the fray with a console, their making enough off ios gaming as it is without even trying.

I like your nextbox combined wth Origin idea as that would be a game changer imo, especially coupled with a exclusivity deal.

Steambox is the unknown here… Would it benefit Valve to enter the hardware bizz? They already have every pc gamer in their pocket.

I can imagine Ninty going handheld only, they have a huge market share.

20. ps3fanboy

nintendo is done, no doubt about that… what we see here is the start of the end.

21. dreamcastnews

@20 I don’t think they are ‘done’ I think they just need to rethink their home console market, I’d quite like to see the tablet idea but without the hardware unit maybe. They could easily store games on 64GB SD cards and have the device HDMI link to the TV so you can play it indoors or take it with you and continue on the go. That’s a more convenient proposition.

They really need indies on their side, eShop can easily carry the U through software droughts and having regular sales on the games is a step in the right direction, not as tempting as PS Plus obviously, but certainly a start.

22. Lengendaryboss

@dreamcastnews
    They really need more third party on their side, indies won’t increase hardware sales at all, in fact all that will do is appease current owners.

23. monkeygourmet

First port of call would be a ‘Nintendo museum’ to look around and download ALL rare old NES/SNES games etc…

Loads of fan service and it would bridge the gap for new releases.

24. Beta

Not surprised tbh. How is the Wii U going to support next gen third party titles? This is what happens when you release a current gen (tech wise) console at the beginning of a new gen.

25. dreamcastnews

@22 true, but the last thing they want is current owners selling their hardware so it’s a delicate balance really.
    They certainly need 3rd parties it’s a shame where Nintendo have got into the sinkhole of low sales because of lack of software but lack of support due to low hardware sales, it’s a statistic chasing it’s own tail.

26. monkeygourmet

I’m hoping they can sort this shit out.

I’m starting to hate EA & Acti’s business models more and more. Would love Nintendo to be able to tell them, go fuck yourselves! ;)

27. dreamcastnews

@26 you’re very right, Nintendo are certainly stubborn enough to tell them to eat a dick, but sadly the gaming crowd required for a successful console require Fifa and COD and to a lesser extent Madden. Nintendo could do with buying up some more development houses to keep things exclusive to the machine, Sega was a no-brainer and should have been purchased by Ninty in 2001 when Sega still had their awesome Sega Sports range – this could have plugged the gap if EA weren’t playing ball whilst having an exclusive range of games catering for the hardware.

Also if I were Nintendo, I’d be looking at signing Pro Evo exclusively to Wii U since the series has fallen from grace, rename it ISS and make it more about arcade and less simulation and you could be onto something.

28. Christopher Jack

Hmm, it occurs to me that valve have been flying under the radar for the past couple months. Hope they appear at E3 with something big. Big enough to shake the inevitable PS4/neXtBox hype. If they do have something big to announce à la Steam box, though I doubt they’d do it at this E3.

29. Phoenixblight

Valve already said they aren’t going to be at e3 and Valve doesn’t need E3 to announce something.

30. zinc

Well imagine a handheld console as powerful as the wii, that can hook up to 3 other handhelds & if wanted hook up to a tv, for big screen gaming.

16GB internal RAM with external micro SD optional.

I could well imagine that being a future DS & how great does that sound?

31. DrDamn

Bad news, but not terminal yet. Nintendo could carry the console purely on it’s own titles with Ubisoft I think. It’d never get the acceptance Wii got, but it would have some great games. It is a shame as my favourite Wii titles were actually EA ones (Boom Blox 1 & 2).

I don’t think riding the coat tails of continued PS360 support by pubs was a particularly long term strategy anyway. It needs unique experiences sooner rather than later.

32. The_Red

I still don’t understand why Boom Blox isn’t released for PS3, 360 or 3DS. They would make a great downloadable game. Those and Zack & Wiki.

33. NeutralBlade

I mentioned in a related article, why this is happening. It’s not about the Wii U’s capability, it’s about Nintendo’s rejection to their offer. The Wii U is a capable system, and you’ll see ports of their games on current-gen consoles, despite their excuses about the Wii U.

But being an alternative has been Nintendo’s position for a while now. Such a situation isn’t much different from the Wii’s.

#33 1 year ago