PS2 trade-ins cease at Gamestop as of June 1

Sunday, 5th May 2013 23:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Another nail has thumped into the PlayStation 2′s coffin as the one-time king of consoles gradually fades into nostalgic memory.

In-store signage spotted by Reddit users indicates that GameStop’s US outlets will no longer accept PS2 games, consoles or accessories for trade-in after June 1.

The news was confirmed by store representatives. As the most visible of the major trade-in chains, GameStop’s decision is likely to have a knock on effects with other retailers.

Consoles normally life on in a kind of undead form long after they’ve been replaced, but the PS2 was only discontinued in January this year, giving it a used lifespan of just six months.

This shorter period may be related to the length of the current console generation, which has lasted about twice as long as expected, and looks set to continue well past the launch of next-gen systems – the PlayStation 4 and Microsoft’s new hardware, which will be revealed on May 21.

Despite its cumbersome development process, the PS2 is fondly remembered as one of the highlights of the last few generations, generating over 150 million sales worldwide. It’s the most popular console ever, and a library of over 10,000 games, with well over 1.5 billion software sales.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Lengendaryboss

A end of an era :( and the beginning of a new era with Xbox720 and PS4.

#1 1 year ago
  2. SupaKupaKang

PS2 Aint Dead Until They Release PS6, You Know, Wii U=Nintendo 6, S.N.E.S=Nintendo 2, Is S.N.E.S Dead, Super Mario World On Wii U EShop Tells me No

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

@LB,
    PS2 production hasn’t ceased (most probably), since the only source for that old news about such a thing was a Guardian article, which everyone copied, but no one corroborated.
    However, its main market are developing countries now.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Digital Bamboo

What would GameStop give you for a PS2 game trade-in anyway, a cookie?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Gnosis

Why would I wanna do that? Do I want to live with one kidney?

#5 1 year ago
  6. theevilaires

I remember when I first got my PS2…good memories from that machine. Don’t know how anyone could go to the 360 and not PS3 after migrating from the best video game console of all time. Shows you want kind of morals people have in real life and who you could truly call friend.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Hellhound30x

Yeah? Well its not like I was looking forward to selling my mint condition ps2 games for 16 cents or anything…

#7 1 year ago
  8. ps3fanboy

meanwhile at my local ‘game’ and competitor of gamestop. they have stated selling retro games like gameboy,nes,snes,genesis,dreamcast,ps1….and ps2 games. so why gamestop dont want to join in on this is beyond me. the retro games even sells good and they have to buy stuff from ebay.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Da Man

PS2, truly the McDonalds of gaming.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Eddie Rodrigues

@10 So you’re saying it is a shitty and overrated hardware. I agree in parts.

#10 1 year ago