Nintendo feels 3DS will “take off” in the US this year thanks to upcoming release slate

Thursday, 18th April 2013 21:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo’s Bill Trinen believes 3Ds will “take off” in the US this year, thanks to the amount of titles in the works.

Speaking with Gamespot, Trinen said sales of handhelds in the US are historically slow, unlike in Japan where they take off like retail rockets.

“We have noticed that in the US in particular, people tend to, at least when it comes to handheld gaming, they tend to shift generations a lot more slowly than they do particularly in Japan,” he said. “In Japan, once a new handheld system comes out it’s like everybody just goes right to it.

“GameBoy Advance was the same way; DS was the same way; 3DS now. It does take a couple of years. But then once it does, it really builds steam and so with the lineup that we’re seeing this year, to me it really feels like this is the year that 3DS is really going to take off.”

3DS has moved 30 million 3DS and 85 million pieces of software worldwide since December 2012, and according to figures revealed by NOA yesterday, in the US alone, 3DS game sales have surpassed 20 million physical units in the US, and up 55% over last year when digital titles are taken into account.

1. monkeygourmet

I thought it was already doing pretty well?

I hope next year is: the Year of Toad.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Its King in japan where it does exceptionally well, however its not that successful in EU and US.

#2 1 year ago
  3. monkeygourmet

But still successful no?

Japan figures are just crazy. I thought things like Mario Kart etc… Do pretty damn well in the US?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

Successful yes however compared to Japan no.

#4 1 year ago
  5. OnionPowder

They usually take off in the US after the 2nd model comes out. I wonder if this means we’ll see a new version of the 3DS soon with 2 circle pads or something. Either way Nintendo is killing it with the 3DS. I just hope they can match this quality on the Wii U soon.

#5 1 year ago
  6. ClubCyberia

But the second model (XL) already came out. I would kill for 3DS with two circle pads though, or even an XL with higher resolution.

#6 1 year ago
  7. xBURNNERx

@onion powder as far as console gaming goes Nintendo is gonna get owned next Gen lol I’m sure you didn’t want my opinion but oh well

#7 1 year ago
  8. OnionPowder

@6 I don’t see the XL as big of a model change as the DS Lite was. Once we see a major revision we’ll probably get crazy sales.

@7 When your opinion is just dribble then I don’t care for it sure, but legitimately thinking Nintendo can drown when put up against the PS4 and Durango is an obvious possibility. I doubt they’ll just get “owned” and die off though. As most people who discuss hardcore gaming on a forum think. It’s all up to the general consumer.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Erthazus

New Zelda game is amazing in my opinion for the 3DS. 3DS line-up is fantastic so far, unlike Sony’s piece of shit.

But WiiU will continue to be a kitchen sink of this generation like it or not. Worst device ever with “Zero” games on it. Stupid ports from last gen.

#9 1 year ago
  10. schopaia

Based on what they showed yesterday I don’t see where this confidence is coming from. Another zelda remake (cleverly marketed as a “sequel”) and another Yoshi game, which I hope will be good but that DS yoshi was not really good.

The only game I’ve really been looking forward to is bravely default, but they’re taking their sweet time bringing it over (15 months more or less after the Japan release).

#10 1 year ago
  11. Eddie Rodrigues

@9 Oh my sides, they hurt. All that unsustainable fanboynism!

Call me when 3DS has Majora’s Mask 3D, the new Zelda is terrible, even hardcore Zelda fans know that. By the way the PSVita is doing pretty fine, it is second after the 3DS (and LL), the same way the PSP became a small but persistent stalker to DS after Monster Hunter was launched. That is Japan. And then it was the Soul Sacrifice effect. April 30th is coming. Prepare.

I’m excited as fugg :D

#11 1 year ago
  12. Francis O

@9 you know…. people would say the same thing about the 3DS when it first launched. My, how the times have changed. LOL

#12 1 year ago
  13. Bomba Luigi

“the new Zelda is terrible, even hardcore Zelda fans know that.”

No, because they didn’t play the Game Yet.

Ah, Judging Something long before its even Available. Internet is soo Smart.

#13 1 year ago
  14. polygem

@11: vita is indeed picking up steam now. playing sly cooper, persona and the soul sacrifice demo the most atm. what can i say, some of the best games i have played in a while and the variety in genres is great too. the thing is getting there indeed. still, the 3ds is such a great device and definitley HARDCORE AS HELl. the 3 ds has shitloads of amazing games, nostalgic ones, remakes and very fresh and unique ones. combine full ds bc and this thing really becomes the best thing ever imo. btw, fuck sonys vita mc pricing. just fuck it. i got a 32gb one and will soon need more space. i want a 128 mc (or at least 64) reasonably priced, not for 200£ or something like that. do they want me to buy digital content? i thought so. i am even ready for that…but i can’t. typical sony logic. got to love it.

#14 1 year ago
  15. manamana

@Eddie my wife’s a “hardcore fan” – she say it looks (from the gameplays on youtube) like the best, since she prefers the top-down view… Yeah, she knows that it’s gonna be great. Me too. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

#15 1 year ago
  16. jevonski

I enjoy playing games on my Vita but you know what, I also enjoy playing games on the 3DS and I for one am glad to see some new releases for it shame we had to wait so long but at least both consoles are picking up speed.

#16 1 year ago