The Elder Scrolls Online: new screens show bards, bugs and battles

Friday, 12th April 2013 11:48 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls Online developer Bethesda has cast a bunch of new gameplay screens out into the wild. They show off some characters up close, combat and various locations from the game’s vast world.

Thanks AGB.

1. UuBuU

The locations \ environments look better than I recall from previously released screenshots

2. deathm00n

@1 And they are really respecting existing lore. The fifth screenshot is exactly like the Ayleids ruins from oblivion

3. soulburner

It would be awesome if Bethesda would keep the option to play in either third person mode or first person mode. I love it about The Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3/New Vegas – the option. I wonder why more games don’t give such a choice? For example, The Witcher 2 would be so much better in first person perspective – but RPG gamers usually hate first person view and like to look at their characters, which I find odd ;)

Anyway, optional first person perspective mode, please :)

4. TheWulf

The continuing lack of beast races in screenshots is telling. Thair Argonians were awful (what with their dessicated human skull faces) the last time we saw them, and we’ve seen hide nor hair of the Khajiit. I hope they’re at least working on that and don’t decide to throw it. Skyrim, if nothing else, proved how awesome the Khajiit could look when just a little effort is put in.

5. deathm00n

@3 They said they are implementing it and hope that before release we will have first person. So far it works but your hands are not shown.

@4 At least they are looking better than the Khajiit from Arena haha

6. tmac2011

i hope the next game has online for 360 and ps3. it needs to happen would be great to get into battles with other players

7. deathm00n

@6 Nope, the elder scrolls community fully disagree about online in the main series, UESP.net (Unnoficial Elder Scrolls Pages) had some discussions about it in the past. It was always games about you and how you shape the world, your freedom and your way of playing. There’s no way to make it cooperative/competitive without breaking the essence of the game. Or making a spin-off like this game.

8. fearmonkey

I want to play this game just because I want to see all the locations from the previous games and the new ones. The screens look better to me than the initial ones and i hope they get First person going properly, that will be huge for me as I mostly play solo.

The game looks pretty but until im in the game, i wont know how truly it feels like Elder scrolls. Thats the thing about the TES series, since Morrowind, you felt like each game had a similar feel. If TESO loses that feel, then i think alot of gamers will be turned off.

9. deathm00n

@8 Almost all of the previews are saying it’s playing and have the feel of an TES main game, but of course with less freedom. I can’t wait to try it out.

Oh Christ, suddenly I’m onboard the hype train. Dammit, I promised myself I would not get in it this time :(