“Deal with it” always-on commenter departs Microsoft – rumour

Thursday, 11th April 2013 00:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Adam Orth, the Microsoft Game Studios creative director whose comments regarding always-on Internet requirements sparked furious debate last week, has reportedly left the platform holder’s employ.

GameInformer got wind of Orth’s alleged departure through anonymous sources; it also rang Microsoft’s switchboard and got what it believes is confirmation.

Orth is said to have resigned, although it;s not clear whether he went voluntarily or was asked to step down.

Last week, Orth perhaps unwisely took to Twitter to suggest that people upset by rumours that the next Xbox would require an always-on Internet connection to function should just “deal with it”. He was giving his personal opinion, not making any claims about the truth of the rumours, but many of those privy to his exchanges were distressed by his arguments.

The PR storm that resulted even evinced a reaction from Microsoft, which isn’t easy.

We’re expecting to finally find out what the next Xbox console does and doesn’t require around May 21; the latest on dits deny the always-on thing, hype up Xbox Tv plans, and claim Kinect can track your eye movement.

1. Dark

I think this is a little too much

oh well , i guess Sweet Billy will have to deal with it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Diingo

Every article I read about 720′s rumors make me cringe.

And the fact that Microsoft has to deny such rumors is scary.

Oh well, just means Microsoft is a piece of shit company. I trust Sony & Valve will lead the industry forward with their upcoming consoles.

#2 1 year ago
  3. fearmonkey

I feel bad for the guy, he really shouldnt have to leave or be fired for it. I think he probably was just kidding around and talking smac for the fun of it, which alot of people on twitter do. its sad to see people lose their jobs because of social media gaffs.

#3 1 year ago
  4. theevilaires

Still think twitter and facebook are good ideas people?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

With all this “Always-On” “Deal with it” and etc. just made things worse for Microsoft. I completely lost interest in their next product.

MS needs to step up and show everyone that they are serious about their next console or media product. Whatever. MS is not focused in games too much…

#5 1 year ago
  6. slayer

Dude’s been taken offline.#dealwithit

#6 1 year ago
  7. drewbles82

I guess we can all tell him to deal with it and join the back of the line for a new job

#7 1 year ago
  8. Ristas

Great job angry internet mob.

This is exactly the reason developers are not allowed to talk freely about their projects. Because every shit they say to their friends or as a joke is policed by a few thousand people who spend their life on the internet being angry at evil EA and Microsoft.

You have absolutley no idea how this guy performed in his job, what he did or didn’t do. You read two sentences and just decide “Nope, this guy has to burn at the stakes”. Between this and “EA is the worst company ev0r” i really beginn to despise this hateful gaming-”community”.

#8 1 year ago
  9. woe

4Player mentioned this 3 days ago

#9 1 year ago
  10. DSB

@8 You do realize that the internet can’t actually fire anyone, right?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Ristas

@10 He didn’t get fired because of what he said, he got fired because of the angry mob demanding his head because of what he said. It sounds dramatic, but that’s how it is.

It wasn’t the cause, it was the effect. The fact that the effect was fucking ridiculous and utterly blown out of proportion didn’t matter.

#11 1 year ago
  12. woe

Neogaf were the ones who got this guy fired so blame them

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

@11 If he did get fired, he got fired by “evil” Microsoft. Not the internet.

I didn’t see an angry mob anywhere, let alone anyone “calling” for anything. People just seemed to think he made his point like a douche.

#13 1 year ago
  14. monkeygourmet

Well… No…

This guy acted like a prize ass hat…

Not only did he make a PROLONGED attack on his companies OWN consumers, but he also choose to do so in a way that added fuel to the fire of negative rumour…

If you serously don’t think this was a ‘please step down now, idiot’, situation, I don’t think you understand working for a power company…

This has NOTHING to do with an army of nerds, hounding him down on twitter or any other bad press he may have recieved.

This was his own shitty mistake, come back to bite him in the ass, nothing more, nothing less.

We all know, you can’t run your mouth on social media these days, thats part and parcel of the fucking job. Especially in his position at MS. Im sure he can go on and learn from this, but there is no way he can keep his position after a stupid and arrogant gaff like this.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Joe_Gamer

His careless comments has likely cost M$ dearly, if he didn’t get fired it would be more surprising. Schadenfreude at it’s finest :D

You work for a company, you go to a public forum talking about how you work for that company and then you bring down a shitstorm of bad PR upon that company? Of course he fucking got fired lol.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Gheritt White

@8: While I agree to some extent. the guy was a fucking plum Tweeting like that. Such hubris! Of course he had an audience and as an employee of a tech company, he should have been aware of the risks. If he wants to talk personally about his job and he’s not a designated spokesperson, he should have made his Twitter account private. We all mistakes, true, and mistakes come with a cost. Schoolboy error is putting it mildly.

@15: I think I’m just going to shut up from now on and enjoy your posts.

#16 1 year ago
  17. TD_Monstrous69

OK, I thought his comments on “always online” were just incredibly classless and inconsiderate for not only Xbox customers, but for any consumer base in general. Though still, I don’t think he should’ve been fired, been asked to, or had to resign, regardless of my thoughts, or anyone’s thoughts on “always online” drm. All he did was state his opinion, my issue with this is more or less on how he stated it, because again, my thoughts are above. Though I still do think he deserved some reprimation for his actions, for they were truly unbecoming of any employee in the gaming and tech industry anywhere.

#17 1 year ago
  18. SlayerGT

A lesson kids in professionalism. Don’t go to personal social networks with your professional affairs.

#18 1 year ago
  19. NightCrawler1970

Very nice coverup to save company ass… first they muted him(twitter) he’s allowed to finish the last week, and boom the next week he had a choice..

walk off or get fired…
    that will happens if ya running ya mouth…

to minimize the damage, MS come with a coverup, that “Always-On is needed to watch “XBOX-TV”…

i agree with @15…
    Now, my question is… if.. MS lie about “there is no Always-on” to the customer, and when a customer buy that new Xbox, and there is really “always-on” will the customer return the new Xbox and get the new PS4?

False advertisement is agains the law, unless MS get a hard-on to have another LAW-SUIT agains them…..

#19 1 year ago
  20. Moonwalker1982

Then you clearly didn’t read the latest story from VGleaks. All those ‘bad’ rumours will turn out to be pretty damn ok if it’s true actually.

I bet the guy was fired/resigned because he did something that was not allowed. More or less talk about the Durango.

#20 1 year ago
  21. zinc

I’m hoping his dismissal involved a trapdoor & a tank full of agitated, mutated sea-bass.

#21 1 year ago
  22. malethief

Sorry to hear he was fired but I don’t think Microsoft wanted to have anymore bad press from the Rumors, be they fact or fiction

#22 1 year ago
  23. YoungZer0

@16: “We all mistakes, true, and mistakes come with a cost.”

I think you forgot something there.

:D

I know my English far from perfect and I often leave out words where some should be, but I find it so funny that you made a mistake exactly in that sentence.

#23 1 year ago
  24. redwood

well that’s not fair.. @22 this is actually more bad press. what they need to do is announce if they have “always-on” or not… simple as that. My guess is they do :D that’s why they are neither confirming nor affirming it.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Neroist

This isn’t Adam Orth first public rant. In 2007 while working for M$ he was caught saying f@ck Halo. http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2007/09/shitdid-he-just-say-fuck-halo.html

#25 1 year ago
  26. KrazyKraut

@Ristas
    he was an arrogant asshole and he deserves it. Companies shouldn’t fuck with their moneys givers aka customers like this. If our company would write a statement like this…wohhoo, we could close tomorrow.

#26 1 year ago
  27. redwood

@25 that was epic read.. it says he was working for sony at that time

#27 1 year ago
  28. roadkill

Another thing I like about Microsoft is how much they care about their employees. Well done MS! Exemplary handle of the situation! :clap:

#28 1 year ago
  29. polygem

@25: yeah, thanks for the link, fun read :)
    but it actually really shows the attitude of this guy. pretty arrogant from what you can read there, also comparing halo to MOH, i mean wtf? vets? come on!…also jaffe…? not getting halo? lol.

i think the guy acted like an idiot. you cannot say these things on twitter, especially not when your console is going to be revealed soon. it gives you bad press. he must know this. he is also breaching his contract by saying these things for sure. the 360 was my main console this gen. a statement like the one he made makes me instantly feel like this: Deal with it? ok, then just fuck you and then deal with it! it is a slap in the face of your customers. it is something i am not willing to take. it also helped to make sony look like the good guys, caring about games, embracing indies now etc. while ms….well…
    that statement was a terribly idiotic move.
    did he twitter that he is sorry? that he made a mistake, clarify things? i don´t know actually. he should have. not so sure if firing him now helps a lot though. i think it would have been smarter if this guy made an official statement about it plus saying sorry, then talk to him behind closed doors to make sure this will never happen again and at the same time tell him to look for a job at a different corp within this year. maybe he would learn his lesson then, which would actually help the guy a lot in the future, i mean at the the end of the day he also said ´fuck halo´ jeeez ;)

#29 1 year ago
  30. Joe Musashi

@12 “Neogaf were the ones who got this guy fired so blame them”

If your tin-foil hat logic is true and Neogaf do, in fact, have the power to fire Microsoft employees then you probably want to be careful about what you say about them, no?

@18 Wise words. Totally agree.

@8 I agree with this also.

JM

#30 1 year ago
  31. zinc

I just wish Politicians were dealt with so decisively, everytime one of those inept wankers put their foot in their mouth :/

#31 1 year ago
  32. TheBlackHole

This guy was mates with David Jaffe.

Should have realised at that point that he was a pillock.

(jokes)

#32 1 year ago
  33. silkvg247

That’s the second news I’ve heard this week about people losing their job over a Tweet or two.

I wonder if we’ll end up with new laws to protect people, so they can retain freedom of speech. because the way things are going, people are starting to get sacked for making an opinion public.

I mean I am very opinionated but I don’t stand on my office chair and scream my views out to people – and anything I do post online I always try to be as inoffensive as possible, constantly thinking “they are watching me”. That isn’t paranoia, people are watching. Anyone. Anytime.

#33 1 year ago
  34. monkeygourmet

@Silk

This:

“Conversely, since they’re doing the equivalent of shouting out their thoughts to everyone on the planet with a gigantic megaphone, maybe it’s actually well deserved.”

Someone high up in one of the biggest ‘tech’ firms in the world should know this…

There are plaenty of ways t ‘get something off your chest’, Twitter is not the place to air your ‘dirty laundry’, unless you are about 15.

#34 1 year ago
  35. SplatteredHouse

The person steering the creative direction of Xbox first-party appeared to have showed complete disdain for the audience, and while at a software focused and increasingly PR dependent (even before the talk of NextBox began in earnest) Microsoft showed himself to be willfully ignorant of the reach of social media – National Press eventually, read by many, many people, it turns out.
    He got into a public spat with other industry “partners” of Microsoft’s, and then caused MS to be inclined to apologise on his behalf once his comments were picked up on, and emphasise the importance of the consumer to them, to counter harmful outburst of the former executive. I can’t say, wouldn’t want to determine the consequence of such a “misstep”, but what he did was really silly.

@29: Breach of contracts are serious business. Talking about NDA-shattering stuff may have played a part also, you may be right.

#35 1 year ago
  36. sh4dow

Hahaha I really hope that he either was fired, pushed to leave or left voluntarily because of the reaction to his shitty comments.

#36 1 year ago
  37. viralshag

No sympathy for the guy. Why should we? Lack of professionalism can generally lead to you losing your job, what he did was exactly that.

#37 1 year ago
  38. OlderGamer

So, so like Twitter is bad. Mmmkay? Yea, that’s Twitter is like bad. Mmmkay.

#38 1 year ago