Sony doesn’t want just FPS games developed for PS4, says Yoshida

Wednesday, 10th April 2013 16:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony worldwide studios president Shuhei Yoshida has said the firm doesn’t want just shooters on its new console, which is why the firm showed off Mark Cerny’s Knack first during the PS4 reveal event.

Speaking with Edge, Yoshida said there’s more out there to play than just triple-A titles or ones which spout photorealism.

“It was pretty intentional,” said Yoshida. “Mark’s idea was like ‘what about [a] Crash Bandicoot for PS4?’ when he suggested the concept of Knack. We were like yeah we hate to see all the PS4 games being FPS or action-adventure or very photorealistic, you know big-budget blockbuster games.

“And you know people like these games but these are not the only kinds of games that people can have fun with.”

Yoshida said PS4 will be more about “how people experience [and] enjoy games”, thus the firm has expanded online and social features with the console.

“Almost the biggest message that we wanted to send in preparing for the event as well as in designing PS4 was… we at Sony and we at Sony Computer Entertainment, it’s just natural for us to enhance the core technology and performance of the hardware, but it’s not the hardware that is the biggest focus.

“When you look at the five key principles behind designing PS4, none of them are hardware related, actually. It’s all about how people us and experience, enjoy games, realized by the system software features and network functions.”

PS4 is expected to hit retail sometime during the holiday season.

Thanks, Develop.

1. theevilaires

Right with you buddy. I don’t know what else different I want to see but I want other genres to step it and and start blending genres together. Borderlands was such a fresh breath of air mid way through this generation because it was FPS/RPG. Would be nice if we saw more blending like that.

I personally wanna see a game like Skyrim but with drop in-out multiplayer not a MMO variant.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

I think we all don’t want an overload of FPS games with a lack of quality hint hint: Call of Duty.

#2 1 year ago
  3. silkvg247

Good, because FPS’ers are shit on console.

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheBlackHole

I’m all for variation, but Knack looked really average. Visually, gameplay-wise, just second-rate.

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

This.

It’s easy to say, but then they showed a crappy looking platformer, 2 sequels (one being from an FPS that always gets mediocre scores), and a racing game that didn’t look as good as GT or Forza…

Only interesting things were Deep Down which is multi platform and the media molecule stuff and maybe The Witness, again a multi platform title.

Then we will see BF4, COD etc… Etc…

The fact that PS4 is easier to program for will probably make the platform home to more FPS’s than the PS3 if anything.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Lewis247

I love how he says this yet Sony are notorious for average FPS games. I’m excited for Shadow Fall as it looks to be the game the series finally deserves and 2 was great for it’s time but 3 was absolutely lackluster. Resistance, as well, good concept but disappointing delivery.

Fingers crossed what FPS games get released are worth while.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Wen3

I WANT REAL INFO ABOUT PS4 I’m mean why are they holding it back while we are the ones who are going to buy it ,this is BOGUS…..man

#7 1 year ago
  8. Wen3

I just wanna play knack now……why there isn’t any info about it….and knack is a AAA of younger audience isn’t it……they better make more games of this nature…..and I want GOD oF War 4 prequels sucks …..I know Kratos insy drad if you kill him sony without thelling what happend to his body I will end you Sony for good

#8 1 year ago
  9. polygem

gimme those glorious sony 3d action platformers!
    knack looked interesting. the artdesign did not wow me but i am more than happy that they showed a game like this at the ps4 reveal and i will probably buy it just to support it, to show that there is a demand for these games.
    good thing about sony really is that they have a great variety in games. that´s a huge plus for them imho.
    i highly recommend picking up the new sly game. it´s good.
    that said, i´ll just dig my broken record out: the world NEEDS a new medievil game for f&%?s sake!

#9 1 year ago
  10. Clupula

@6 – Notorious for their average first person shooters…you mean all TWO franchises they have like that? You make them sound Activision constantly shitting out Call of Duty-type games.

#10 1 year ago
  11. G1GAHURTZ

Only Sony produced stuff that could ever really make it into my top ten were some of the early Gran Turismo games.

They were real killer apps.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lewis247

@10 What I’m getting at is he’s saying he doesn’t want just FPS games developed for PS4 as if that was going to change any time soon. I like how Sony have been handling their first party games but the FPS is the area they could actually improve on. That’s all I meant.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Francis O

Well, that’s what PS4 and Xbox 720 are going to get. The stakes and development costs are so high for the “next gen” publishers, especially western developers, are going to play it safe, and make shooters.

#13 1 year ago
  14. wishdokta

FPS and casual bring the money. I guess, they do like money.

#14 1 year ago
  15. OlderGamer

Well in contrast to the PS3 launch, Sony seems to be hitting all of the right notes.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Akira_Tenshi

Great, but we all know it’s still going to happen.

#16 1 year ago
  17. xxJPRACERxx

@15 +1000 and really happy about it!

#17 1 year ago
  18. mkotechno

Yea, I also want FP-Platforms, FP-Racing, FPRPG, FP-Fighting…

#18 1 year ago