Distance: new gameplay footage smells like WipEout, TrackMania

Tuesday, 9th April 2013 10:20 GMT By Dave Cook

Distance is the Kickstarter-funded racing game from Refract Studios that sees futuristic cars racing around Tron-inspired worlds. It mixes WipEout’s velocity and TrackMania’s stunts into one lovely-looking mix. The team has released some GDC gameplay footage, and we’ve got it right here.

What do you think?

Distance is slated for an August 2013 release on PC.

Thanks GamesHQMedia and EdNorton.

1. Goffee

Look’s like a modern, sanitised, take on Ubisoft’s online racer POD from many years ago, which is a good thing

2. Gheritt White

Looks awesome!!!

3. bowenFTW

Looks like the indie game Nitronic Rush http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNuSvuzPL10

4. Lengendaryboss

Oh wipeout how i miss you :(

5. BraveArse

It actually reminds me of Rollcage – a reboot of which I would immediately buy.

6. Aton

from the Kickstarter page:
    “Join developers behind the hit racing game Nitronic Rush as they take futuristic arcade racing to the next level!”

7. TheWulf

I like what I’m seeing, here, I just wish they’d gone more over the top with the art style. It seems exceedingly monotone and unimaginative visually for what it is. Here is a car. Here are some grey tracks. That’s fine for more sterile racers, but for a game like this, I’d liked to have seen them take the visual dial up to 11, rather than leaving it at a mediocre 5.

After playing SEGA & All-Stars Racing Transformed it just feels really bland, it looks bland even when compared to the PS3′s Wipeout game. I dunno, I just wish they’d done more with the aesthetics, the cars could look less present day car-y, the tracks could have more colour and art involved…

This looks like a game I could almost like, but the dullness of the visuals is off-putting. I’m not saying a racer needs great graphics, as this isn’t about graphical fidelity, but it is helpful if a racer has artistically creative visuals. Which I feel this is lacking in.

8. roadkill