Xbox 720 announce May 21, out November claims tech blogger – rumour

Monday, 8th April 2013 08:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 720 will be officially unveiled on May 21 and will retail in November, according to veteran tech blogger Paul Thurrott. Word has it the device will simply be called ‘Xbox’ and was originally intended to launch as two separate versions until one was scrapped.

Speaking on the latest What the Tech podcast, Thurrott laid down some rather bold claims about Microsoft’s new rig, and it’s not clear where exactly this information is coming from, so please do remain suspicious, take a pinch of salt and treat this as rumour only for now.

NeoGAF has a full transcript of the chat, but I’ve hand-picked the juicy bits below.

On the cancelled Xbox 720 model:
“The next Xbox is code-named Durango. And we have talked for a while about this notion that there might be another version of the Xbox that was just aimed at entertainment—a non-gaming device. That device was code-named ‘Yumo’ and they’re not making it. They may make one in the future, but it’s not happening this year.”

On the Xbox 720 price:
“Durango is going to be expensive [laughs], you know $500, $300 for the subscription model, that kind of thing, but you know, Blu-ray, blah blah blah, but the thing that interest me, going back and looking at some of the stuff I got a long time ago, it actually says ‘must be internet-connected to use’ in the notes. And that’s all I have, but it does say that.”

On the Xbox 720 announcement:
“Originally, they were going to announce this thing in April 24, now they’re going to announce it May 21. We know there are events occuring this year where we’re going to learn more about Durango.”

On the release date, pre-E3 showings:
“Early November, yeah. E3 is going to occur. BUILD is going to occur in San Francisco in June when they’re going to talk about the developer story because it’s a Windows 8 device. It’s going to have the same, or basically the same, developer tools and developer APIs and all that kind of stuff.

“So I think there’s a lot information to come, but I look at all this stuff that I’ve seen about Durango and I think, ‘it’s all positive.’ I don’t really see any bad news here at all. Like to me, everything I’ve seen about this is really positive.

“It’s amazing to me that, based on like no information at all, everyone is like freaking out about everything. Aside from this online thing, by the way, the number one question I’ve gotten from people is, ‘What does it look like?’ Who gives a shit what it looks like?

“I’ve actually heard from, by the way not one or two people, several people who’ve said, ‘based on what I’ve seen, Sony is going to blow them away.’ Based on what you’ve seen? You’ve seen nothing. What are you talking about? No, but you’ve seen literally nothing from Microsoft.”

On Microsoft’s new approach to the industry:
“The problem Microsoft has has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo anymore, it’s Roku and AppleTV. The market for hardcore video games, the market of people will always buy the next Gears of War game, the next Halo game, the next Call of Duty game, it’s fairly finite. It’s a decent market, yada yada yada, it’s not the market for tablets, it’s not the market for smartphones.”

Well, well. What do you make of that then? Let us know below.

1. CyberMarco

Who is this guy again?

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 He’s a tech blogger, rather than a game blogger. I hadn’t heard from him either until today, but seemingly he’s a regular on the circuit.

#2 1 year ago
  3. CyberMarco

Hm, interesting. I think some statements that he makes are a bit out of place, like the “The market for hardcore video games, the market of people will always buy the next Gears of War game, the next Halo game, the next Call of Duty game, it’s fairly finite.” or is it?

I don’t know why people compare console gaming with cellphone gaming. I mean, we got a big BOOM in mobile gaming thanks to the iphone and other smartphones, but the majority of users weren’t interested in gaming consoles to begin with, and didn’t abandon consoles in favor of gaming on the ipad or whatnot.

Same thing, personally speaking for the Wii. In my opinion the Wii got such a tremendous success because it managed to appeal to non-dedicated gamers, like football-moms etc. It sold well to people who wasn’t interested so much in previous gaming consoles because it made gaming more casual and easy to pick up and play. That’s my two cents.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Belmont

Putting Windows 8 with always-on internet and Kinect together. I don’t like it. However it is always the competition that defines who wins. Judging by these rumors, Long Live Play !

#4 1 year ago
  5. polygem

Belmont+1

but yeah, we´ll see. i will buy one of those nextgenmachines for sure and probably even at launch. will buy the one i think will be the best deal for me. simple as that.

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

It does seem like they are leaving it late for the announcement. The only reason I can think as to why is they want to get their console nailed down with a definite release date and features, then blitz the world with advertising right up until release. Not a bad way to go, shorter time to keep the hype train rolling, stop people forgetting about the console and shorter advertising time.

While Sony may have gotten the jump on MS by getting the PS4 news out early, come E3 they will need to build up the hype lost between then and the original announcement whereas MS console news will be a lot fresher. Part of me thinks Sony showed their hand a little early.

I was never too hyped about the next PS so I’m not much to go on but I have already lost what little interest I had for the console. I think MS are just teasing the world by letting the curiosity about the competition build, it will either pay off or completely bomb, dependant on the machine.

#6 1 year ago
  7. mistermogul

I am concerned…

#7 1 year ago
  8. Myth

I’m with this guy on the excessive hysteria – Sony showed us so little at their “reveal” that to form an opinion now is foolish and naive. (he’s completely nuts if he thinks the console design doesn’t matter – this thing has to be in our living rooms, design is crucial)

I still think the next generation will be underwhelming at first. The hardware bounce simply won’t be there as a result of the general slowdown in advancement in processors and tech capability there’s not the same wow-increase in anything that we had last generation.

HOWEVER, the next gen consoles have the potential to be the final media hub for your TV as well as a great game console. And if the two consoles come out with similar power, which they almost certainly will, we’re likely to see this generation decided on the “non-game” stuff.

MS suffers greatly if they want to go always-on (I think they’ll do “verification of CD-key”, not always-on) but they are ahead of Sony when it comes to the software, media options and online universe.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Fin

This guy does know his stuff – I remember him being on the ball for some Win7 beta stuff.

He’s wrong on one point though – devs have seen both consoles, that’s why there’s swirlings of PS4 being better.

And $500? Sheeeet.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

Interesting points. On the whole what/when they announce. I don’t think MS need or should be forced by what Sony do or internet rumours. They have a plan, stick to it. The majority of their audience won’t be ultimately affected by the rumours, they’ll make decisions when the full info and consoles are available. Much as we’d all like to know what’s going on there is plenty of time before release.

#10 1 year ago
  11. TheBlackHole

For what it’s worth, it’s 100% true that Durango will simply be called ‘Xbox’.

#11 1 year ago
  12. RocknRolla

Whatever he or anyone else says I am buying PS4 on day one, Playstation have always been about quality not a half finished overheating machine like xbox, not to mention that you have to pay to play online wtf?? … I don´t think Sony played their hand too early, remember the last gen release? when xbox came out a year before? did that go well? yes, because the developers had their time with the console to learn develop games for it, by the time PS3 came out developers had no problem making games for the xbox, while for the PS3 they had to learn all over again. But this time both machines are rolling out with a PC like architecture, which should be interesting, but still I think Playstation leads this time just like with the PS2 :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. Gheritt White

If it’s underpowered in comparison to the PS4 (and apparently it is), I’m jumping ship.

#13 1 year ago
  14. G1GAHURTZ

^ Graphics whore.

#14 1 year ago
  15. viralshag

@12, It’s the fact that they have such a similar architecture which makes a “head start” irrelevant in terms of games and only relevant in getting those undecided early adopters.

Plus there is a big difference between announcing your console and getting it out the door before your competition.

#15 1 year ago
  16. TheBlackHole

It’s closer than PS3 was to 360 in terms of performance, and due its ease of use the Xbox actually performed better than PS3 for many years.

I’d expect relative parity.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Gheritt White

@16: Time will tell. I’m not so beholden to my Gamertag that I’ll invest in MS’ next platform regardless. I’m well aware of the hardware architectural differences in the current gen, which is one of the reasons I’ve always been a happy X360 gamer (that along with, IMHO, a superior gamepad and online services).

Now Sony seem to have the better gamepad (according to the rumors) and PSN doesn’t look inferior to Xbox LIVE anymore. If MS’ hardware is underpowered by comparison and the other two aspects hold true, why wouldn’t I jump ship? I don’t love Halo *that* much and there’s always Destiny to enjoy.

#17 1 year ago
  18. The_Red

More and more news about “Always-online”. I have been always against this and avoided both Diablo 3 and Sim City for the same reason but even IF I wanted to get 720, I couldn’t.

My internet is in no way suitable for always-online so, I guess no more Xbox exclusives for me :(

#18 1 year ago
  19. Djoenz

Rumor Nextbox might be based on Windows 8.

#19 1 year ago
  20. tmac2011

im gonnna laugh if microsoft does that always on thing

#20 1 year ago
  21. OlderGamer

Gheritt +1

If Sony puts out a better system with features people want at a cheaper price…isn’t it a no brainer?

I know people love to make mountians over platform loyalty. But that shit is for the fanboys. Still my biggest hurdle to making a PS system my main choice is the controler. I am hoping the new design is better or maybe I can find a third party brand.

#21 1 year ago
  22. TheBlackHole

“Now Sony seem to have the better gamepad (according to the rumors) and PSN doesn’t look inferior to Xbox LIVE anymore.”

Sony doesn’t have the better gamepad IMO – the PS4′s sticks are still in the wrong place, and the 360 controller is largely unchanged (although the d-pad is still not as good as Sony’s).

PSN is, in its current form, still inferior to XBL. Also, much of Sony’s killer features for PS4 (almost all involving Gaikai) are not going to be ready for 12-24 months after launch.

I think there’s still competition in this yet, although I do believe much will hang on the ‘always on’ thing. If that’s true (and I really don’t know for sure, apart from that it was at some point), then I will be going for the PS4 for next gen.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Gheritt White

@22: That suits me fine – I’m not planning ion picking one up until Xmas 2014, and IMHO anybody that does has more money than sense.

#23 1 year ago
  24. viralshag

/raises hand as potential 2013 console owner!

#24 1 year ago
  25. DSB

@23 Spot on. Sparing yourself a year or so of disappointing, rushed release titles and saving money while you do it? Sign me up.

#25 1 year ago
  26. viralshag

@25, Like people are bothered about saving money… pff. If they were no PC games would sell until the inevitable Steam sale where they can get it for 30-50% off.

When has gaming ever been about saving money?

#26 1 year ago
  27. DSB

@26 Arguably both Sony and Microsoft have enough fanboys to sell anything they put on the shelves, but what will they really be getting?

The only console I remember with a halfway decent launch line-up was the Dreamcast.

I totally understand the thrill of something new, especially after so many years, but I haven’t seen anything to suggest that they’ll suddenly launch with something other than mediocre rushjobs.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Phoenixblight

Nor have you seen anything to suggest otherwise. All we have seen is Unreal Demo,Knack and Killzone and Watch DOgs which is port and handful of trailers.

Which to me Infamous and Watch DOg along with all the Galkai features is enough for me to pick up the device.

#28 1 year ago