Xbox 720 specs will be “aligned” to PS4, suggests Ubisoft Montreal boss

Thursday, 4th April 2013 09:15 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 720 will closely follow Sony’s PS4, according to Ubisoft Montreal head Yannis Mallat. He has suggested Microsoft’s rig will laregly bear the same features and horsepower under the hood in a new interview.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Mallat stated that the Xbox 720 would, “aligned with what Sony announced” and added, “it’s going to be connected. It’s going to be social. It’s going to be immersive. It’s going to be interactive.”

On the chasm between current and next-gen consoles, Mallat said “Let’s state the obvious: the easy and immediate thing is going to be the graphics. There are some mind-blowing graphics right now on our next-gen technology, both on Watch Dogs and Assassin’s Creed.

“That will be the entry door for anyone, even for the mainstream. It’s really going to be amazing. Trust me on this one. That being said, the connected aspects and the social components will be what will define the difference between a next-gen experience and a current-gen experience. And we’re eager to be able to talk about that and show that when we’re ready.”

It follows comments from GameStop’s executive Paul Raines, where he called the Xbox 720 a ‘hot, compelling device’. See what he had to say here.

What’s your take on the PS4 specs and suggested Xbox 720 specs so far? Discuss below.

Thanks OXM.

1. monkeygourmet

What a shame if this is true.

I would have easily paid a bit more than PS4 to get a better GPU / CPU but it looks like they are both going for the average performance balanced with cost.

At this rate, I really hope they weigh in at about £349.99 max.

Also, it make me wish MS could have left Kinect out and used that R&D budget for better hardware.

2. Dave Cook

@1 at the very max. I think they’ll be less tbh. They really need to try to loss-lead a bit better in next-gen. Stronger IP will help massively. Let’s hope both companies can pull out some strong launch titles.

3. monkeygourmet

I hope so, what have MS been upto?! The last year or so of the 360 has been a fine example of;

‘going through the motions’…

I really hoped it was because they was cooking up something crazy tech-wise.

Im just starting to see PC gaming accelerate off at the moment, and nothing I have seen on PS4 has really wowed me, very much inline with your article on next gen just being more ‘bells and whistles’…

The best thing about PS4 for me so far, is the increased Indie support, but then, thats still going to be behind PC and STEAM.

Oh, and ‘Deep Down’, but that smacked of pre-render the same a the infamous ‘Motorstorm’ demo.

Killzone and everything else looked pretty ‘meh’ to me.

I have a horrible feeling MS is about to open it’s ‘cloak’ and let a hoard of black eel’s out to strangle and kill gaming industry as I know it with the release of the 720 and their rumoured partnership with EA. I don’t really trust Sony too much either, as every company wants the same thing with regrads to anti-piracy, less user control, more customer tracking software etc…

There was speculation of ‘Kryptos’ project and the 720 containing lots of SOC’s and really refining what power and Graphics capabilities can be like in the next genertion of devices, I guess that was just my wishful thinking! :)

4. Dave Cook

@3 Yeah I think that’s because MS has shifted focus and released some games to ‘keep the seat’ warm as it were. EA was notable by its absence at the PS4 reveal. I bet they’ll have some tasty announces at the MS reveal.

Could be big for both parties.

5. Dragon246

@Dave,
    Agreed.
    Thing is, both made pieces of hardware that needed to be sold at a loss for years.
    Now I am guessing both are targeting a fixed price (400$ imo), and hence are selecting particular hardware to meet that price.
    MS is more hamstrung than Sony in this front since every box will include a kinect 2, by no means a cheap piece of hardware, so they are making concessions on raw hardware.

6. Samoan Spider

Well I’m still coaching a ‘wait and see’ attitude because nothing is confirmed, but if they’re closely aligned that’s not a bad thing.
    That said, the 360 had a secret sauce in it, so there’s no reason to assume this will be different.

@5 Sony are including their eyetoy and the DS4 with its shiny screen so the playing field is more even than you suggest.

7. zinc

I’ve believed for awhile now, that the only real difference between Sony/MS consoles next gen, will be the services provided.

I’ll be sticking with Sony as I consider psn+ to be a better service than Live Gold, though fingers crossed, Sony doesn’t add any more charges!

@Dragon, Interesting point about inbuilt kinnect. Maybe forcing MS to cut corners, to lower cost? Their reveal can’t come soon enough.

8. Lengendaryboss

@3 I wonder too. Forza studio has been quite since the release of 4, so Forza 5. 343 is pondering ideas for Halo 5. That Black Tusk studio (I think) are working on a New IP to match Halo’s success. Lionhead either need to sort out Fable or New IP. Those are the only first party studios i can think of. Lets hope MS bulid second party support. Theres also the rumored EA exclusivity deal, so money is no issue.
    Anyway this could be great, we could have equal parity and performance on the two platforms thanks to the similarities.

9. Erthazus

This time they are trying to have the cheapest hardware available. So what’s the difference?
    Both will be the same machines that will sell Call Of Duty… in 1080p.

Unreal Engine 4 on the PS4 is Unreal Engine 3.5 to be honest. Remember Samaritan demo? That’s UE 3.5

10. Samoan Spider

@9 Haha, but at least those CoD games will run better on your PC as a result of the easier coding and optimisation :P

11. Erthazus

Doesn’t matter. CoD on any PC runs smoothly in 60 frames per second or more.

12. MadFlavour

13. Dave Cook

@12 Hmmm…

14. blackdreamhunk

nice link

Xbox 720 – Gamestop CEO Comments On New Xbox Console – Very Hot Device & Gamers WIll Take Notice

15. Samoan Spider

@13 Haven’t you removed comments from MF several times already?

16. Gadzooks!

#7

That’s about the long and veiny of it. Convergent hardware with a focus on services.

Both Sony and MS will have Kinect, a traditional controller and similar hardware at similar costs and retail prices.

MS need to step up to match the value of PSN+ for sure, but not necessarily at launch. PSN+ has no value until a decent games catalog has built up. Without BC that could take a year or more.

17. Lengendaryboss

@13 Someones on a mission, a mission to remove comments.

18. skapunkmetalskater

There’s not much more experience I want from the console to be honest. It works well, Arcade and Live are great. I just want the next step in graphics and performance please. I don’t care if I can share more of my gaming behaviour with friends because I have no interest in doing so… whatsoever.