Microsoft will win next-gen war, Sony’s online infrastructure is “god awful” – Bushnell

Thursday, 4th April 2013 20:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Atari founder Nolan Bushnell is of the opinion that Microsoft will win the next-gen console war.

Speaking on GameTrailers’ Rollin’ With Nolan, Bushnell said he feels Sony’s system will be hindered by “lame” and software tools which will be hard to comprehend. An opinion which is in direct contrast to the opinion of many game developers on the matter, such as Epic, Gearbox, and id Software.

“I personally believe Microsoft is in a superior position, and the reason is Sony, whenever they change consoles, the software tools that they have are lame,” Bushnell said. “A lot of times in the past they were in Japanese; not well documented and getting the software development community up to speed…they may have been able to do it in Japan, but the American software community just says ‘Oh boy, what a pain.’

“And a lot of people don’t realize how strong the software community is at making the hardware platform sing and dance.”

Bushnell said its software which drives hardware sales, obviously, and Microsoft will excel over Sony in that department along with the online component. Bushnell feels Sony “really needs to get their action together” because its online infrastructure is “god awful.”

“Microsoft, because of their strong software tools, will end up with much better products sooner [and] easier, in my estimation,” Bushnell said. “And with that, I think will be an advantage. And also don’t forget, Microsoft actually has so much money to defend this. Plus, they have a good infrastructure with the [Xbox Live Arcade], with their online world.”

Strong words, there.

Microsoft will supposedly reveal its new console sometime before E3 – possibly in May – and Sony plans to have its PS4 on shelves in time for the holidays.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. monkeygourmet

Lol,

He’s been playing too much ‘Custer’s Revenge…’

#1 1 year ago
  2. dizzygear

/popcorn

#2 1 year ago
  3. Seraphemz

LOL…

” I dont hear anyone wanting a 3DS…” really?? I personally like the Vita but the 3DS as far as I know is extremely popular…

#3 1 year ago
  4. SeWICX

lol woot

#4 1 year ago
  5. DGOJG

What childish and unfounded comments. Slight hint of racism in there too; a Japanese console initially in Japanese? No shit Sherlock.

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheSteamChamber

As a fan of both Xbox consoles I think the system is dying a slow death… the next gen console is likely to be Kinect plus (Wii 2 essentially).

They only care about the casual market now and Sony have been watching and listening.

I and at least 3 friend have recently moved from xbox to PC and I can see many others doing the same.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Gekidami

“An opinion which is in direct contrast to the opinion of many game developers on the matter, such as Epic, Gearbox, and id Software.”
    This pretty much ends on this point. The guy deosnt actually have anything to do with actual game development any more, he really doesnt know what he’s talking about, literally.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ps3fanboy

WTF!!!!…*throw atari2600 outta the window*

#8 1 year ago
  9. The_Red

Why are people even listening to him? He has done some great things in the past but his has been saying nothing but crazy stuff for near a decade now.

How on earth did he get a GT show, I will never know. Just when they finally get a decent show like Final Bosman, this happens…

#9 1 year ago
  10. OlderGamer

Hell no, don’t throw it out a window…it could kill someone…those things are heavy! lol.

It would make a six foot hole in the ground.

#10 1 year ago
  11. salarta

While his remarks blatantly smack of extreme bias, I can see that there’s likely some small grain of truth to them given the current Playstation Store. The overhaul Sony gave it is so much worse than the less flashy yet more functional interface they had a year ago. Trying to search for something you know the title of is an annoying exercise in scrolling a letter wheel when the online keyboard was better even without a USB keyboard plugged in, and there were a lot more categories and options to help narrow down what kind of content you were looking for.

I’m hoping the PS4′s interface is much, MUCH better than their latest PSN redesign, but I’m doubtful that will be the face.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Bashtee

Didn’t have a Xbox360, is the online-infrastructure so much better?

@6: I’ve been a PC fanatic for 15 years and I sold my gaming rig last year. I really liked it, but it just isn’t the same anymore. Might be the factor of getting older :/

#12 1 year ago
  13. Fethennour

Old scumbag…

#13 1 year ago
  14. Lengendaryboss

I can understand the online component of Sony’s network is not up to MS network, but there is a reason for that. PSN is free and XBL is not of course their service is going to be top notch, that is what you expect for a paid service. But did he really say MS will excel Sony in software, Hah i have what hes smoking this isn’t 2005/06 get your head out of your ass old man, this is 2013 and Sony is the king of having a variety of exclusives.

The PS4 reveal showed off two new IPs Knack and Driveclub, a focus on the hardcore/casual audience, innovations to the controller and the PS4 being for developers by developers.

Name any noteworthy and successful exclusives besides Halo, GOW, Forza and Fable. Sure they trump Sony’s Software in sales but Sony have more software. If he is talking about software tools then fine i can’t judge that.

But MS winning next gen, If and this is a big if MS do win Next gen with Always on, kinect installed Next Xbox and keeping with their current direction, then to be honest i have lost faith in gaming. Granted their new Black Tusk Studio is working on a new IP to rival the success of Halo and with MS big pockets it could very well achieve that.

#14 1 year ago
  15. SlayerGT

@7 Exactly. Unless these quotes where pulled from 06…in which case he’s spot on, spot on :P

#15 1 year ago
  16. Djoenz

btw arent some of those so called xbox exclusives on the PC as well?

#16 1 year ago
  17. Lengendaryboss

@16 They are but not every single game in the franchises listed have found their way to PC. Besides its still console exclusive.

#17 1 year ago
  18. viralshag

To be honest, and I actually said this earlier somewhere, the online component of the 360 is what tipped me in its favour over the PS3 this gen.

@14, Tbh I no longer buy the “it’s free so we should excuse its shitiness” excuse. Going from Live to PSN, pretty much ever, was a bad experience. The PS3 dashboard in general, for me, was awful in comparison.

One area I would be expecting huge improvements in from Sony is definitely their online component.

#18 1 year ago
  19. No_PUDding

@7 Spot on.

He clearly hasn’t seen the most apparent point Sony were talking about when announcing the PS4.

#19 1 year ago
  20. melonbuster1

Sony fanboys are fighting the truth. Sony sucks. Ps4 is an attempt at gaining what Microsoft took. Microsoft won’t lose. Same power better tools better online. More money. Sony is mr.me too. Last system from them.they can’t take another loss.but they will.

#20 1 year ago
  21. No_PUDding

But seriously, what do you really think?

#21 1 year ago
  22. Lengendaryboss

@18 Well you wouldn’t want to pay for a service thats crap, if its free you can’t complain. Just saying if PSN wasn’t free and like this i would honestly switch platforms. I like the XMB barring its faults (slowness + simplistic design) but the PS4 interface images look like a slick experience.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Clupula

If PSN wasn’t free, I wouldn’t go online anymore. Paying to play online is absolutely stupid.

Anyway, are we sure this wasn’t him talking about the PS3 launch? Because there, all of his points stick, but now? Unless he’s been in cyrogenic sleep for the last 7 years, he couldn’t be more wrong.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Djoenz

@23 +100

#24 1 year ago
  25. Clupula

I will say, though, that while I generally like the XMB’s design, I really do dislike the new version of the Store. But then again, I don’t know a single person who likes the new design. It’s certainly prettier than the old store, but it’s so slower to find anything.

#25 1 year ago
  26. No_PUDding

@25 yep its not good in that regard

#26 1 year ago
  27. monkeygourmet

The Vita has impressed me most with the ability to multitask and ease of flipping between settings, games and the store.

Obviously it’s a handheld and touchscreen, but if Sony can replicate these kind of things with PS4 then it should be a pretty smooth experience.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Lengendaryboss

@25 I don’t mind the new store design, its no problem to find anything, i get used to new things quickly. I like the simplistic design of the XMB but some people don’t like it compared to Xbox livearea. Sometimes pretty is not always an attractive quality.
    @27 Completely agree, thats is one of the many things what makes the PS Vita a true successor to PSP.

#28 1 year ago
  29. DrDamn

Hasn’t the dev system been done by SN Systems? Like the vita one. Which has been praises too. They aren’t Japanese last time I checked. Sony bought them a little while back specifically for this. Might have a point on online but he’s way off on the several stuff.

#29 1 year ago
  30. polygem

i am not a fan of the ps store either. compared to the marketplace it´s almost broken imo.
    i hate the ads on live.
    i kinda like the xmb too. was pretty upset that the vita does not have it and i think those bubble icons on the vita are plain ugly.

what i love about the ps3 though-and i really hope they do not change that- is the icons that pop up if you scroll over a game, the picture or trailer and background music that starts. imo this is damn cool and looks great on your tv. i wish it would be on vita also.

#30 1 year ago
  31. monkeygourmet

Yeah the bubbles on the Vita do look pretty cheap.

I expect them to overhaul the OS on the PS4 launch so they are pretty similar across both systems.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Lengendaryboss

@30 Me too i love that.

#32 1 year ago
  33. RoadShow

ROFLMFAO

YOU ARE DELUSIONAL IF YOU THINK XBOX LIVE IS ANY BETTER THAN PSN. PSN IS EVERY BIT AS GOOD WITH THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BEING THAT IT DOESN’T HAVE CROSS GAME CHAT.

YOU GO AHEAD AND PAY $300 EVERY 5 YEARS JUST TO ACCESS BASIC FEATURES LIKE CROSS GAME CHAT/STREAMING SERVICES & THE BROWSER THAT FINALLY CAME TO IT ON IT’S DEATH BED.

I’LL BE PAYING $10 LESS PER YEAR FOR AN OPTIONAL SERVICE THAT GIVES ME ON AVERAGE 2 HUGE FREE AAA QUALITY GAMES EACH MONTH.

OH AND WHY DO XBOX GAMERS PAYING $300 EVERY 5 YEARS FOR XBOX LIVE STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR ONLINE PASSES FOR ALL EA GAMES?

WHY ARE THERE ADDS ON THE HOME PAGE ON XBOX 360…DO THEY NOT MAKE ENOUGH RAPING $300 EVER 5 YEARS FROM YOU FOR NOTHING? FOR STUFF THAT IS FREE ON EVERY OTHER GAMING PLATFORM?

ARE YOU SAYING PC GAMING SUCKS? BECAUSE IT’S ALWAYS BEEN FREE

XBOX 360 DOESN’T EVEN HAVE ANY TRUE EXCLUSIVES EVEN, BEST ARE ON PC OR JUMPED SHIP. HALO, GEARS OF WAR, MASS EFFECT 1, LEFT4DEAD, BATTLESTATIONS, ALAN WAKE, ALL THE FABLES ARE ALL ON PC. ME, BIOSHOCK & SAINTS ROW ARE MULTI PLAT. XBOX HAS NOTHING

THEN XBOX HAS NO FREE EXCLUSIVE CONTENT LIKE PS GAMERS GET, LIKE WHAT WE WILL GET WITH BUNGIES NEW TITLE DESTINY. LIKE THAT FOUND IN BATTLEFIELD, ASSASSINS CREED, MASS EFFECT 2, FEAR, SAINTS ROW, RED DEAD REDEMPTION, LA NOIRE, MORTAL KOMBAT, STREET FIGHTER, FIGHT NIGHT, FAR CRY 3 & MORE.

XBOX ONLY GETS PAY TO PLAY TIMED EXCLUSIVE DLC FROM LIKE 2 PUBLISHERS (BETHESDA AND ACTIVISION)

#33 1 year ago
  34. monkeygourmet

You can’t argue with that!

#34 1 year ago
  35. Fin

|”A lot of times in the past they were in Japanese”

Fuck, he’s got a point here.

Though then again, in the past, Microsoft were just a software company. Surely that means that now they’re not able to make hardware??

/facepalm

#35 1 year ago
  36. Clupula

@33 – Hey, you’re going to wake up the children! Stop yelling!

#36 1 year ago
  37. CPC_RedDawn

This guy needs to get the stick removed from his arse. Seriously, Sony’s infrastructure is just as good if not better in some areas than Microsoft’s. I mean, I have since sold my 360 a while ago now and having ventured to a mates house where he still has one I have seen the new(ish) GUI/dashboard on the 360 and it makes my head and eyes seriously hurt. What is it with Microsoft and boxes? It makes the Playstation 3 action bar a dream to play with. If Microsoft can’t even get the UI right after about 5 attempts then god help them. Sure their online components that 360 can do that PS3 can’t but most of them I could care less about and a lot of other could too. And we know these will be implemented into the PS4, plus what has been shown of the GUI on the PS4 it looks much cleaner and coherent compared to the current 360 and PS3. Though I think Valve and their “Big Picture” mode have gotten it pretty much nailed down perfectly. I mean I recently built a second gaming rig for the living room to use with Big Picture and the experience has been awesome. Built a system then consists of:

Bitfenix Prodigy ITX case,
    Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.8GHz (Corsair H100i 2 Bitfenix Pro Spectre fans)
    Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Motherboard
    16GB Samsung 1600MHz DDR3 RAM @ 2400MHz
    2TB Western Digital Caviar Black Sata3 drive (games, movies, and music)
    240GB OCZ SSD for OS (Windows 7 x64)
    Nvidia 4GB GTX680 superclocked EVGA GPU

Using this system on my 60″ Plasma in the living room, with Big Picture is a dream. Sure it cost me just shy of £1600 but the end experience is just simply out standing.

EDIT: Sorry I went off topic a little there LOL

#37 1 year ago
  38. xXNapsterManXx

As an Xbox player for many years and not an Owner of a PS3 because of broken almost everything, I think he might be wrong PSN launched as a pile of poo and has taken awhile to get anywhere but i think Sony won’t want to make the same mistake twice.

Sony have also been using the fact that they have Un-fucked the architecture since the shambles of Cell, but for me I’m impressed with the efforts they have made with PS4 besides that Share button i think that is just stupid.

But at this point with firm details about the NextBox still unknown i am still swaying towards xbox unless Microsoft come out and say “We are going Casual” and the hardware is like a Wii U and they push kinect i am still going to buy xbox first, But this time i think i might get the sony console unlike last gen.

ALSO Someone needs to make a third party PS4 controller shaped like a Xbox Controller of I will loose my shit I hate the PS3 controller, Cascade thumbsticks FTW!

#38 1 year ago
  39. RocknRolla

wtf? someone actually believes this guy? haha.. Online? I have almost never had any problems with online gaming on the PS3! most of my friends changed from Xbox to PS3 just seeing me play it ffs true story :D

#39 1 year ago
  40. joerucas

ok after reading thru the coments left here i think il say my peice xbox will crush ps and for all the people on here saying oh u have to pay for xbox well i would rather pay for something good then get shit on for free and with the higher price tag on a ps that isnt even worth half the price yeah i think il stick with xbox and pay my mebership wich is 50 a year btw i still be saving money for 2 years before i reach the ps price tag and to #33 roadshow pc games charge ya to play to not all but they do all sell dlc and thats where the $$$ comes from so the ps3 has good graphics woopty dooo so does xbox and lets not forget that sony is either to lazy/ignorent to make their own OS and run windows wich last time i checked is microsoft but to be fair mirosoft uses their lenses for reading disc’s either way ps3 and realy soon ps4 are garbage that isnt suitable for enjoyment because as soon as xbox live came into existence ps online took a hard hit because their online experience just cant compare their connections suck their setup is over complicated and its an overrated shity paper weight oh yeah just so u know roadshow here is link with more than a few xbox exclusiv games http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_360-only_games
    do ur research befor spouting dumb shit on a forum

#40 1 year ago
  41. RocknRolla

Bitch please.. This old fart don’t have any more energy for games, he is thinking of the money M$ will give him for saying that..

#41 1 year ago
  42. Mr Sparkle

Should have waited for MS’ reveal maybe…?

#42 1 year ago
  43. brent292

I guess you guys know more then the founder of Atari,lol

#43 1 year ago
  44. pukem0n

you really cant. thats what everyone in a mental institution is going to say to you after encountering such an individual

#44 1 year ago
  45. gargus

So the man who founded a company that destroyed itself and ruined the game industry as a whole for years, then the company came back to always be in last place in terms of hardware and never created a game that even inspired to mediocrity and finally went completely bankrupt is giving advice to current game companies? Everything he has been attached to since the 80′s has been a complete failure. Endorsed the commodore cdtv? A judge on the tv show made in the usa? A advisor for antiaginggames.com? The last good idea he had was making chuck e cheese, but he couldn’t even manage a restaurant chain as he sold it a year later because he kept losing money.

Yes Ill admit PSN was a rocky start but it has constantly been improving itself, with the way sony has to been so customer centric lately I have no reason to not believe they are stepping up more with the PSN as a whole.

Besides, he has no first hand experience with what sony has in store for PSN once the PS4 launches. He has no real insight into what they are doing. He sounds like an old man bitter at an industry that forgot him and is no longer relevant to trying to lash out against the current industry favorite.

#45 1 year ago
  46. TSTmp

OH! He is too old for this crap.

Software can be develop/upgrade, but Hardware is not. PS4 came with better hardware means better future.

#46 1 year ago
  47. mojo

go home nolan, your drunk

#47 1 year ago
  48. HUcast

@43 Well, this was in April and Microsoft kinda screwed themselves. I have mad respect for Busnell but, in this case, he was dead wrong.

At best, the Xbox One will hover between the #2 or 3 position at release and stay there for about a year or so. Sales will pick up when Microsoft releases an updated and/or streamlined Xbox One (whichever cliché word they wish to tack on)

#48 1 year ago
  49. Gigabomber

Said it before and I’ll say it again: Sony being a Japanese company doesn’t do it any good service in English speaking countries. Guess I was right. Racism? Japan’s first language is not english and most devs understand english. Fact.

#49 1 year ago
  50. sebastien rivas

Never used a Ps3 or Xbox 360 because they were too expensive to beging with.
    Although We have a Wii and I must say while the interface is rudimentary and simple visually. It is also comfortable, easy to navigate etc…

Now to bring a point to Mr Bushnell.
    There is an article out there that states Sony knows how behind visually and I assume also ergonomically their attempt of online store or cloud were. They repeatedly stated they learned their lessonS .

So we will see,
    Ps4+ is not free indeed but it sounds like it is fair price as far as I can tell.
    Is Xbox 1 delivering same internet connection cloud price point as Ps4+?

#50 12 months ago
  51. withinme

lol he says completely opposite of what everyone says….

#51 10 months ago