Next-Xbox controller isn’t much different than the current version – report

Tuesday, 2nd April 2013 21:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A report over on Kotaku states that the controller for the next Xbox console won’t differ greatly from the current offering. Everything you see now on the Xbox 360 controller is still there, and the shape has stayed the same as well, only it will be a bit smaller. The report also states that each developer kit has controllers which are decorated with stripes, so that if a shot of it leaked, was lost, or stolen, Microsoft would be able to tell which developer the controller was in use by. Tricky.

1. monkeygourmet

Also, they take one of your children as ‘insurance’, In case you leak pictures of the new pad.

If you do, they tattoo black and white stripes all over your child’s face.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

Surely the good things about the Next Xbox is sure to come right? Right?
    @1 Lol :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. monkeygourmet

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

same as before but a bit smaller.. i guess we will hear the xbox owners with big hands start crying soon now. and they will complain it is the same old and not innovative enough…. like they have complained about the ps3 controller for years… karma is a bitch eh? xboxfanboys…

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fin

Thank fuck.

And damn right with the stripes, every bit of dev kit should be watermarked somehow.

The 360 controller is infinitely better than the Dualshock, which essentially hadn’t changed since 1997, until the PS4.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Froseidon

@4 Why haven’t you been banned yet? It’s like we’re cursed with your presence. The amount of trolling you do, its surprising, really.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

Am i the only one who has no problem with either controllers. I never recall complaining about size, just get it on your hands and it feels right. BTW don’t look too much into that :)

#7 1 year ago
  8. MadFlavour

I don’t see why they’re changing the shape at all. I sold my 360 last year, due to them having their hand in my pocket every time I turned it on. But god damn their current pad is practically perfect. A better D pad is the only thing it needs. Throw in some additional functionality by all means, but don’t fuck with the shape.

Not that I even give a fuck anyway.

After this generation I’m done with console gaming.

Unless the steam box ticks every box.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Djoenz

Only for FPS and TPS IMO. For rpg’s etc. I prefer Dualshock. Dualshock has a solid D-pad.

Infinitely is such a big word.

#9 1 year ago
  10. mistermogul

Oops, posted wrong thread!

#10 1 year ago
  11. marioporfirio

Never xbox controller is better than dualshock. It never changed because the controller is awesome. the only thing that i dont like in dual shock is the L3 and R3 button.

#11 1 year ago
  12. mistermogul

“But god damn their current pad is practically perfect…”

I agree. I find the Xbox controller much more comfortable to hold. The dualshock is not that ergonomic imo.

#12 1 year ago
  13. marioporfirio

the grip of xbox controller is awful. Hurts my hands

#13 1 year ago
  14. dreamcastnews

Decent controller, no need to change it.

#14 1 year ago
  15. polygem

i am cool with that. i really like the 360 pad. it´s almost perfect imo, they should just change the dpad. hope it wont be too small.

@1: hehe, but i think they´d go for green face tats. xbox corporate identity…or full face red, green, blue and yellow.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Djoenz

Hmmm @13
    When since you mentioning the grip. I always seem to get uber sweaty palms with the xbox controller to the point I lose grip. Its fucking annoying. Never had that with dualshock.

I kid you not :P It sounds retarded I know.

#16 1 year ago
  17. zinc

Be thankfully MS are still giving you a controller, as opposed to asking you to wave your arms in the air…

#17 1 year ago
  18. nollie4545

360 pad is pretty good. I’ve tried a load of them with my PC, from different makes and the 360 pad is still the best and almost the cheapest, too.

#18 1 year ago
  19. marioporfirio

Yes I know. It’s all about the size of his hands. Xbox Controller is only good for those who have big hands, for those who have normal sized hands dualshock is the best. And the precision of the dualshock analog stick is ten times better.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Erthazus

Dualshock is much better in my opinion. I have Xbox controller for a PC and dualshock 3 for PS3 and still prefer Dualshock to it.

Xbox controller is too big and clunky for me, so new version of it being smaller is a nice addition for start. Although Razer’s xbox controller variant is much better then Xbox’s controller anyway.

Sony on the other hand tried to improve it’s controller with touchpad and move functionality so props to Sony for some new features and improvement on that side.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Gnosis

Hm, a bit smaller is good. The old one was a bit too big and heavy for me.

#21 1 year ago
  22. harr0w

do not fix what is not broke.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Richenbaum

Yep. All it needs is a better d-pad. Standard 360 d-pad is shit for fighting games.

#23 1 year ago
  24. monkeygourmet

I had to buy one of these:

For the PS3 pad to make it more comfortable. The triggers are especially shit for FPS and TPS games IMO and this really helped to stop your fingers slipping off them.

Also got this for Vita:

Again, helps in a big way, it’s actually comfortable for more than 15 minutes play now.

Both aren’t very ergonomic for prolonged use compared to the 360 IMO. I still think they should have moved the left stick and DPad around, especially for the PS4 pad.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Lengendaryboss

@22+27 Hasn’t that been the strategy Activision use with COD for the entire generation, a little innovation there a little tweaking there and bam new product :)

#25 1 year ago
  26. Djoenz

Well apparantly what @19 posted there it has something to do with patents…

They will never blend it into one.

I played COD for hours and hours straight. Never had problems with Dualshock. Its a shame I guess it really relates to hand sizes or something.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Hellhound30x

I personally think its an almost perfect controller. I just hate the d-pad!
    Why change it if its not broken?

#27 1 year ago
  28. DarkElfa

…because someone couldn’t photoshop out the stripes?

#28 1 year ago
  29. SlayerGT

Smaller?? Someone tell MS big controllers are not the reason the 360 doesn’t sell in Japan please.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Telepathic.Geometry

@Erth: Really? I have a PS3, and I’m generally happy with it, but if I could only graft Gamecube controller analogue sticks into my dual shock, it’d make me a much better gamer. Those analogues are my bane in so many games… Trying to beat some cunt in a race now in Jak II, and the analogues don’t give me the degree of control I would like to have. I’m shit at it too, don’t get me wrong, but the analogues don’t help at all. I can’t endorse the DS3 for that reason.

#30 1 year ago
  31. RocknRolla

Why all this just to hide a controller that hasn’t gone through any changes?? Even if they did change it, PS4 controller is already revealed wtf? A bit overkill? If I wanted to show the controller to the world I would cover the stripes and simply show it god damn it! Grow the fuck up you people..

#31 1 year ago
  32. Gheritt White

@4: I actually agree with you, ps3fanboy. If anything is likely to make me switch over to PSN from Xbox LIVE, it’s this.

Sony have innovated with their controllers, and MS hasn’t. If they’re both of equal comfort, I’ll likely go with PS4 as it gives designers more gameplay options.

#32 1 year ago
  33. viralshag

Good news to me. I love the Xbox pad and like others have stated, I think it’s much better than the DualShock.

The new pad is so far one of the most disappointing things about the PS4 for me and one reason that puts me off it.

#33 1 year ago