Dragon Age 3 & Mass Effect 4 will be powered by Frostbite 3

Thursday, 28th March 2013 12:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Dragon Age 3 : Inquisition & Mass Effect 4 will be powered by DICE’s Frostbite 3 engine, BioWare has confirmed.

BioWare Edmonton and Montreal general manager Aaryn Flynn revealed the news on Twitter:

DICE first revealed Frostbite 3 during its Battlefield 4 event at GDC. You can watch it in action here.

Meanwhile DICE’s Patrick Bach has explained why people wont be impressed by Frostbite 3′s raw technical prowess any more, but rather how its developers use it. Check out what he said here.

Thanks Gamespot.

1. Beta

Nice! I’ve always felt the Unreal Engine 3 held the Mass Effect series back slightly.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DuckNation

Sweet can’t wait for DA3 it’s going to looks so beautiful

#2 1 year ago
  3. adge_uk

I don’t call it Frostbite 3. I call it Brian Thompson 3.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Samoan Spider

Good news. I enjoyed the ME series but I’d prefer to see Dragon Age get the treatment before Mass Effect. Looking forward to them undoing some of the missteps they made with DA2. This should give the extra eye-candy just hope they remember shiny isn’t everything and get away from the action over story mentality which seemed to permeate the last game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. freedoms_stain

I’m not sure I can handle 3 series with eyeball searing lights.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Samoan Spider

@5 Yeah, actually that’s the only drawback. They have gone a bit J.J.Abrams with the lighting in Frostbite 3!

#6 1 year ago
  7. o0die

Some of the missteps? The second game was a HUGE clusterfuck, while the first was pretty good. They should just go back to the first game and look at some of the better “story-rpg’s” (Yes, I love Torment/Baldur’s gate/maybe even the Witcher/…) before making the game. They said they’re watching at Skyrim, which imo isn’t the right one to look at.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Samoan Spider

@7 I agree. I was being delicate with my comment, but whilst I had fun with the game, it wasn’t anywhere near the quality of DA:O and following that story-rpg style is the only way to go. Open world Skyrim style just won’t work.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Takeshi

I am really looking forward to ME4 now. Mass Effect 3 really lacked a lot of graphical fidelity compared to a lot of the other AAA titles last year.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Bomba Luigi

I don’t care how good the Games will look, I hope Bioware will find back to old Glory when it comes to Storytelling and Charakters. Right know I highly doubt that, but there is still some hope somewhere that they will proof me wrong.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Samoan Spider

@9 A lot of that was that fucking stupid grain filter they passed it through. It was subjectively improved by turning that off.

#11 1 year ago