Antichamber: indie smash has made a ton of money

Wednesday, 27th March 2013 09:02 GMT By Dave Cook

Antichamber developer Alexander Bruce has revealed at GDC 2013 that his indie hit has recouped its development costs and then some, stressing the advantages of working for yourself and keeping production costs low.

Joystiq reports that although the game was in development for six years it shifted some 100,000 units in its first seven weeks on sale. At $20 a pop, “you do the math” he told the audience at GDC.

Bruce added, “I have absolutely, exponentially recouped all my costs. Ridiculously, definitely made back all of my costs.” The developer was given a boost thanks to grants from the Victorian government in Australia, a move that helped him make the game, and a lot of money for himself.

He concluded, “This is how I kept my costs so low. I kept my costs absolutely low. That’s why I was able to just be dedicated to quality and make sure that I had it correct.”

It comes as Square-Enix yesterday called Tomb Raider a failure, even though it sold 3.4 million units in just four weeks. Presumably this is because it has such a high production cost attached. It’s a growing concern for developers in the triple-a scene for sure.

You can check out Antichamber on Steam here. It’s currently on sale.

What do you think?

1. viralshag

The day gaming turns into all indi-like games will be when I give it up. I’m glad for these devs, honestly I am but if there was no Tomb Raiders AC and Mass Effect (or games like it); I just would not be interested.

2. Dave Cook

@1 who says an indie dev can’t one day make a game like Tomb Raider? It’s only a matter of time :)

3. Samoan Spider

@2 Yeah, this. And what’s to say that FTL isn’t as much fun as Mass Effect just because one is 2D and the other is 3D? Big budget and ultra HD visuals aren’t everything, or didn’t everyone get the memo :)
    Spoiler: FTL is a lot more fun and lot more addictive.

4. Dragon246

@Dave,
    While I like “indies”, if they make TR one day, would they still be called “indies”? Double Fine is not a indie for me, just an independent studio.

5. viralshag

@3, I’m happy to be proved wrong but until that time comes I think I will believe that all indi devs are happy to make their first profitable game and take a long holiday rather than pump profits into making an indi-trip-A game.

@3, FTL is fun but does it satisfy all my needs for gaming? No, not in the slightest. I actually want some spectacle with my fun sometimes. If “fun” was all that was important why improve gaming hardware at all?

6. Ajsman

I’m prety much giving up on AAA titles. I just don’t like being treated like a idiot and that is exactly what AAA game do most of the time.

All this story cliches, arbitrary choices that have almost no effect whatsoever, regenerative health, button bashing, hand holding in linear level design,… What is the point in calling something a game when there is no challenge in playing it.

Maybe they are fun for someone, but classifying Mass Effect 3 or Deus Ex: HR as a RPG is just laughable to me. AC wants me to pay 50€ every year for what? Another cheesy story… What is the reason in implementing that ridiculous random bullet spread in BF3 other than letting the luck factor decide who is the better player. And so on, and so on…
    Not to mention all that milking from DLC, Season Passes, Premium editions.

Right now, with a few exceptions, I just find independent games more fun, more original and way more worth my money. So when MoH or Tomb Raider “fails” I just don’t care or even think its a good thing because maybe it will change some things around one day.

7. sh4dow

One thing that isn’t mentioned of course and most people probably don’t think about: How many indie titles sell that many copies at such a price?

Yeah, you get your Braids and Bastions and now Antichambers but I wonder how many indie games are out there nobody has ever heard of. Granted, as far as I’ve seen, it seems that a lot of them lack polish and so nobody knows about them for good reason. Still… it seems to me like with most things where you can make it big. A few do but many fail.