Wii U price cut not enought to attract consumer interest, says retailer

Tuesday, 26th March 2013 00:35 GMT By Brenna Hillier

UK retailer ShopTo has dropped the price of the Wii U, but is still not seeing the kind of sales it would feel comfortable with.

Speaking to MCV, as reported by VideoGamer, ShopTo purchasing director James Rowson said the chain had “taken the decision to reduce the price of the Basic Wii U to test the market and assess the impact of a price change for a short period of time”.

Unfortunately, the move “has resulted in a smaller than desired increase in sales at this stage”.

Other retailers, not named in the referenced article, said they’re thinking of reducing their Wii U inventories, and said Nintendo’s lack of communication is unsettling.

“They’ve got to do something otherwise it is GameCube all over again,” one said.

The news comes clutching the tail of word that the Wii Mini hasn’t exactly set retail afire, either.

Thanks, Dragon246.

1. Bashtee

The Wii U is just not attractive at this point. Until we see a huge price cut (250€ for the Pro edition would be something where I’d buy it) and some games. Zombie U and Monster Hunter won’t cut it.

2. Francis O

Games are more important than a price cut. Even the Vita would be selling better if it had more games on it. This fall is going to be a different case with Wii U. Mario Kart, Zelda, and a new 3D Mario game are going to boost sales big time.

3. Stardog

They needed a Zelda and Mario game at launch.

4. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Sorry, but no. By autumn we’ll all be either saving for, buying, or masturbating to videos of PS4/Nextbox (actual next-gen consoles). Nintendo’s situation with Wii U will be worse, not better.

5. The_Red

They had a Mario at launch and it was the best selling kind of Mario (2D, New Super Mario Games have always outsold 3D ones like Mario Galaxy).

6. OmegaSlayer

WiiU just need a couple more nails to seal its coffin.
    If it wasn’t a Nintendo machine (that Nintendo fanboys buy blindly) it would have sold half the pieces or less.
    How stupid is to buy a machine on promises of games that are just mentioned in names and not even shown?

7. Richenbaum

They should just stop making consoles and focus on making games for other people’s systems. Then everyone can get those few worthwhile Nintendo games and skip the whole Nintendo cycle of buying a whole other disappointing gimmicky console just to play the 3-5 great games before it becomes another Nintendo paperweight.

8. Dragon246

@5,
    And yet it didn’t help.
    The game is selling well (1.6 million), but the console is poorly lagging behind.

9. Dragon246

@6,
    Yeah, it only has a few more months to gain steam, next-gen is coming and its looking very ominous for WiiU. So far outside of Ninty crowd it has gained very little traction.

10. Sylrissa

I’ve really never been into nintendo, but my best friend has convinced me to get a 3DS, and I’ll admit it has a pretty good range of games to get. While I still have absolutely zero interest in getting a WiiU.

11. G1GAHURTZ

12. The_Red

That is what baffles me. The 2D NSMB games are HUGE sellers and yet they couldn’t help Wii U. Now, everything comes down to Mario Kart. Not even Smash Bros can generate the type numbers that Kart ones do.

13. gomersoul

@7 well said. they should stop wasting everyones time and money by going software only. the wii was a one off sadly for nintendo and the handheld market is shrinking due to mobile gaming. sega did it, surely its only a matter of time before nintendo do…

14. GameStunts

The reason the Wii Mini isn’t selling is because everyone is looking at the Wii-U and asking why buy that, when the next one is out, ooooh but that price, mmmm…

Wii-U has several problems that have made me not buy it.

Power isn’t everything, but they’ve got a console that is broadly the same as 7 year old consoles with a bit more RAM and only 32GB storage. For that they’re charging £50 to £100 more than Xbox or PS3 consoles that also have 250GB or larger hard drives to store all the downloads and updates.

I know there’s value in the pad, but Nintendo’s attitude of always making money on the console (as they did with the Wii I believe) is crippling the user install base. Without that they’ll have trouble convincing Game Devs to make games for it.

Then there’s the timing, we’re all waiting on the next paradigm shift in console power (even us PC users, because then we get better ports), and Nintendo comes out with a console that’s just mediocre. Meanwhile even last year we all know that the PS4 and Nextbox can’t be far off.

Then there’s the issue of treating me like an adult. At a point where I might have tipped and got one, the whole issue of 18 games and content on the nintendo online shop being restricted till silly hours like 11pm till 3am or something (It was covered on VG247 I’m sure) just put me right off. Nintendo had said it was looking to court more hardcore gamers, and then this attitude just made me rethink the purchase. Zombie-U was the only game that I was attracted to, so I was hoping to see more exclusive games come out. I’m not interested in playing games that I can get on other consoles or PC, since I already own those. There needs to be attractive exclusive experiences and games that are the reason to buy it. To date the only other one that piqued my interest was Lego City Undercover, just because I love the idea of an open world Lego game. £299 for the Premium Console and Zombie-U + £40ish for Lego City = £339 for a 2 game experience that I’m just not willing to pay for.

The reality is that my Wii got used to play Wii Sports and Red Steel. I played a tiny bit of Zelda but never went back. Over the course of the years I never found any other game that I was willing to spend out on. Even the price for Mario 64 off of their estore was too much for a decade old game.

Sadly unless Wii-U drops significantly, it will be the first console I’ve given a miss since 2000.

15. G1GAHURTZ

For me, the Wii U is looking like it’s going to be the first Nintendo home console that I haven’t bought since the NES!

16. mistermogul

I bought a Wii U and think it’s pretty cool (though there are many things that need atttention like menu loading etc). I have no doubt that it will eventually have the games I want to play on it and until then my 360, ipad and 3DS XL will do me fine.

Having said that there’s no way I would not get a Nextbox/PS4 as Nintendo will be lacking in third party games again just like the last few generations.

17. Jet Black

Why WiiU?

18. DrDamn

NSMBWU was too lazy. It’s a nice game but it’s not inspired, not exceptional, nothing even vaguely interesting in the design at all. It has tacked on use of the gamepad and very obvious hints that what you are looking at is something which was destined for Wii and got a HD lick of paint at a late stage.

Any Mario game at the launch of a new console should really highlight the features of the machine. Where you have a new controller it should be demonstrating what it brings to make it special. It fails horribly in that regard. There is more invention, clever use of the controller and fun in the demo Ubisoft released of Rayman than the whole of NSMBWU.

19. Fin

The Wii U has been trundling along at the moment – it’s going to be beaten into the ground in Q4. Nobody’s going to buy a Wii U over next-gen systems.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – the issue isn’t that there won’t be great games on it (there probably will), it’s that third parties won’t port PS4/720 games to it – it’ll get current-gen ports, which’ll leave it in a similar situation to Wii, it was getting PS2/B-studio ports most of its life.
    And without the massmarket appeal of the Wii (those people have moved on to tablets and phones), it’ll die.

A wise man once said “People who don’t care about Nintendo games don’t care about Wii U”.

20. GameStunts

@19 I agree, the Wii was like the early casual gamer enabler. But Tablets and phones have taken over there, and in some cases even offer better graphics and experience than the Wii.

21. The_Red

@DrDamn
    But mass market never cared about creativity. They buy crap like Walking Dead Survival Instinct, Aliens CM and generic FPS games without any problems. It’s the creative games like Rayman Origins that usually bomb. NSMBWU was the ultimate product for the public that craves 1000 military shooters, 1000 Angry Birds rehashes and same old Mario Kart/Party/2Dplatformer.

Public has always spent the most money on generic, safe games like that. Why not NSMBWU?

22. DrDamn

Partly because they would need a WiiU to play it on. And NSMBWU didn’t offer a compelling reason to buy a new console.

23. viralshag

I’ve always thought the WiiU launch was poorly timed and feel that Ninty may have misjudged what the market was really looking for.

To me it seemed like a late to the party current-gen console with a new input method. Definitely something I wouldn’t pay more for over a 360 with Kinect. And along the lines of a late console, getting the ability to publish third party games means little if they’re on all of the other current consoles that I already own…

24. Esper

Nintendo needed Wiiu to launch at that timeframe. The Wii was already in decline before then and the 3DS wasn’t so hot then either. They couldn’t afford not too launch early.

25. theevilaires

Even they know the Wii was not next gen and that Nintendo should have released the U back in 2006. Poor dumb Nintendo execs scared of SONY with the PS3 took the safe route,paid off well,but now biting them in the ass. Just hurry the hell up with my Windwaker HD please.

26. Digital Bamboo

Nintendo better come to E3 with guns blazing and blow the doors off the mutha’. It feels a bit like they’re pulling a Sony circa 2006 and riding the wave of popularity of their previous system, a little overconfident that things’ll be fine, but not marketing and releasing hits as aggressively as they could & should.

27. G1GAHURTZ

@25:

Tbh, tea, I’m not sure if Wii U would have been a better choice for them in 2006.

Which may well be fine if that mechanic is waggle.

Waggle needs no explanation.

But when it’s one that takes, even Nintendo execs, 45 minutes to try and explain what’s going on in a simple party game, there’s a problem.

Many devs have even struggled to make use of the new controller.

Plus, touch screen technology wasn’t all that great in 2006, so we’d probably be looking at an even worse situation than they have now.

28. viralshag

@24, #25 kinda of said it. I think the WiiU should have launched earlier in this generation. Obviously that might not have been possible but then I just think it’s still poor planning on Nintendo’s part as they have launched what might be (I’m not saying it is) an inferior product in comparison to other next-gen consoles. And I don’t mean that on a pure graphical capability.

@27, While I agree I still think the WiiU (or WiiHD) should have launched sooner, even if it was without the controller and more comparable to this gens consoles.

29. dreamcastnews

I’m still happy with mine, while games are being reduced to as little as £14.99 I’m enjoying some games I missed out on the first time around.

It doesn’t bother me too much if the Wii U doesn’t do that well this time around, I’ve got my monies worth out of Nintendo Land, Tank,Tank Tank!and Batman. I’ll be taking a dip on Lego City this week with Pikmin 3 following later I’m pretty content, although nobody seems to mention the Wii U being a bastard on Virgin Internet routers though?

I’m no fanboy, I happily play PS3 with PS+ and my 360 for non-exclusives.

30. Fin

The touch screen technology available in 2006 (capacitive, multitouch) is better than what’s used in Wii U.

31. dreamcastnews

32. DrDamn

@G1GA
    “The real problem isn’t the power, but the controller. It’s meant that every single game on the Wii U has to be built around an unknown, niche mechanic.”

I’d say that last point was true for the Wii but not Wii-U. With Wii-U you can do a regular game and support off-screen play and that’s fine. No major extra development required. With Wii you needed to either design the game around the controller or shoe-horn in a regular game to the waggle controls and lack of usable buttons. Most games went for the latter and suffered for it.

The WiiU needs more games which are designed around the controller to demonstrate it’s value. I agree the message and explanation is too convoluted and detached. They need to show it with compelling games. NSMBWU as a launch flagship title was a massive misstep in that regard.

33. DrDamn

@dreamcastnews
    “Wii U being a bastard on Virgin Internet routers though?”

There’s an hour of my life I’m not getting back …

“Doesn’t the screen need to be that way for the stylus though? Surely multitouch would be far harder to use with the stylus and let’s face facts – a little bit useless?”

You can have a cheap capacitive stylus if you want. Multi-touch would have it’s uses too, but I also much prefer the response of a capacitive screen over the resistive one in the WiiU controller.

34. dreamcastnews

@33 Mine’s still playing up, can’t understand why it hasn’t been sorted yet. Every time I log onto the e-Shop it says there’s an error then it takes me back to the main screen – I have to do this at least 3 times, annoying.

I must admit though, I don’t have any problems with the screen, it’s a games console and as such is used for that, if I want multitouch jazz I use my iPad – which isn’t a games machine.

I think when the Wii U is concerned there’s much ado about nothing, the power is slightly better than 360/PS3 which last time I checked, wasn’t a bad thing. The console won’t start moving numbers until some system sellers start appearing like the timing of the MK7/Mario 3D Land + price drop for 3DS – once that sort of thing happens and if we don’t see results then I’m sure we can call the Wii U a failure.

35. DrDamn

How did you work around the VM Router issue? Hardcoded IP and Google DNS?

36. dreamcastnews

Yup, I was not best pleased when I took the console out of the packaging and it couldn’t just connect like my Wii did in 2006 haha

37. DrDamn

I didn’t have any issues with that set-up once I’d done it. Though I’ve added a second wireless router since and it connects to that fine. Another infuriating thing about the WiiU wireless set-up is that it doesn’t like being shifted between two different wireless routers frequently.

When you set up the first one you set it as default. If you then go round a friends place and want to connect to that you go through the set-up and then need to set it as the default. So when you get home once again you need to go into the wireless set-up and switch the original definitions to be the default. That’s not how default bloody works!

38. dreamcastnews

THey really didn’t think the online connectivity part through, mine has been a pain in the ass since day one, it even doesn’t load the Miiverse properly sometimes so all I’m left with is a HTML page!

Hopefully a stability update will fix all this in due time though :S

39. viralshag

You guys are really selling it haha.

40. Lord Gremlin

See, with actual next-gen announced – PS4 – people won’t buy Wii U which cost is comparable to next gen console.

41. dreamcastnews

@40,

cool, where did you see the confirmed next-gen prices to?

42. Clupula

@39 – Hahaha. Yeah, after reading these things from the defenders of the system, I can’t imagine why any of us wouldn’t want to run right out and get one. Hahahaha.

43. Clupula

@41 – It’s more expensive than any of the other current gen systems, so it is priced like a next-gen system, even if it isn’t one.

44. viralshag

@41, To be honest the WiiU might end up a cheaper priced less powerful nextgen console or will continue to be an expensive comparably powered current gen console.

Either way you look at it, it seems to be floating in a pricing-no-mans-land as people are probably holding off to see how the other console prices will actually look.

45. theevilaires

@ G1GA for sure you’re right at a point with the controller but if they would have simply released a machine that matched the 360/PS3 in power back in 2006 they wouldn’t have had to make a second Wii that is now basically dead in the water.

To me the Wii U controller isn’t a gimmick I love it especially for Netflix. Even though the controller is wider than anything else I’m familiar to playing with I can still use it for hardcore games just as well as a DualShock. Something that can’t be say for the Wii-mote but atleast Nintendo did create a pro controller.

Now picture this, its 2006 and Nintendo releases the Wii U (not the Wii) with a pro controller packed in the box and a wii-mote. Not only do you have a system that is for the hardcore it also caters to the casual with the wii-mote. Now 3rd party devs can make casual party games as well as ports of PS3 and 360 games for the Wii U up until the next gen (2013-2014). They would have had the market covered and SONY and Microsoft would be in deep shit.

Then next gen release the controller that has the 7 inch screen display with the Wii-Z. Its obvious thats how things should have panned out and if Nintendo was smart instead of butt hurt and sore from the ass whopping PS2 gave them they would have grown balls and took that risk which would be paying off tremendously now. No they took the cheap route and chose not to upgrade to a next gen level in 06′ and they lost the hardcore by doing so which the Wii U was created to gain back now in 2012-beyond.

Thats my reasoning for saying the Wii U should have launched in 06′. They could have simply called it the Wii and didn’t have to release what we now know as the Wii U controller with it. All I’m saying is they should have taken the same approach as SONY and Microsoft from a hardware stand point and still did motion controls in 2006.

46. dreamcastnews

Nobody would have bought it, you know; like nobody bought the Gamecube?

47. dreamcastnews

@42 – “Hahaha. Yeah, after reading these things from the defenders of the system, I can’t imagine why any of us wouldn’t want to run right out and get one. Hahahaha.”

It’s called an impartial view on things, like accepting that the console has flaws and talking about it.

In regards to your comment about running and and getting one, I’d wager you weren’t buying one anyway….

48. theevilaires

@46 Yes they would have. people bought the Wii because of its gimmicky motion controls. Nothing would have changed from a marketing stand point. The graphical power of a 360/PS3 would have just been insurance to keep the console going once the fad died down. The cherry on top basically making the console have longer legs to last on.

Nintendo would have ended its 3rd party don’t sell well curse if they did it the way I just explained above. Hey everyone makes mistakes. Ken Kuturagi put in 512MB of split memory in the PS3 instead of 512MB unified and it cost him his job. With Nintendo it cost them the hardcore,3rd party devs, and most importantly respect.

49. zinc

The simple truth is that for the average consumer the WiiU offers nothing new.

An average console, a average tablet & some old ports doesn’t sound enticing does it?

50. theevilaires

@49 you’re right especially when so many kids play with ipads and the games are fun,easier,and simple to learn.