Oculus Rift CEO: VR is the next-gen gamers actually want

Monday, 25th March 2013 23:47 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Virtual reality tech is the next generation of gaming, and unlike many other innovations, it’s something gamers actually want, according to Oculus Rift CEO and founder Palmer Luckey.

“You don’t see people saying ‘Wow, all my life I’ve always wanted to play a social mobile casual streaming game with microtransactions.’”

“We do think that this is the next generation of gaming,” Luckey told VG247 at GDC in San Francisco today.

“Right from the very beginning of 3D games one of the goals has been to make a virtual reality, to make you feel like you’re actually present in the world. That’s really what first-person games are meant to do. I think that virtual reality – it’s very clear that people want this. They see it and they say ‘This is something I want; I want to be in these worlds’.

“There’re other potential paths to next generation gaming, like people say ‘Mobile is the next generation,’ or touch or social – but you don’t see people saying ‘Wow, all my life I’ve always wanted to play a social mobile casual streaming game with microtransactions.’ But what they do say is, ‘I want to play a game in virtual reality’. And that’s why I think this is getting so much traction, and why it will really be a next generation gaming device.”

The PlayStation 4 is the only traditional next-generation device to have been announced so far, taking a PC-like approach and emphasising social features like streaming and game sharing. Luckey didn’t seem super impressed with the new hardware.

“Maybe it’s the right path for them. I wouldn’t have gone down that path because I’m a VR enthusiast, I wanna make virtual reality happen,” he said.

“So in terms of have Sony gone down the wrong path in terms of my point of view as a VR enthusiast? Yeah, sure, but that’s because I’m a nut that loves VR so anything that’s not VR is going to be a mistake for me.”

Sam spoke to Luckey at some length, and we’ll have the full interview available soon.

1. Moonwalker1982

Wasn’t it this guy that said the OR wasn’t meant for AAA games yet though? I would love to see VR becoming much bigger, oh for sure.

#1 1 year ago
  2. nollie4545

This will happen on all platforms or they will be consigned to dust museums.

The graphics power will finally be there, all we need now is a reliable and sensitive system for head tracking, and decent displays. This is going to be the game changer for gaming in my book. I would buy an OR even if I just wore it whilst using keyboard and mouse, it would be ace.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Francis O

What the hell is a next gen gamer? I don’t want to wear goggles when I play video games. I don’t even want to wear 3D glasses to play games in 3D.

I want great games period. New mechanics, good controls, social features, is what I want from ‘next gen’ and the PS4 and Wii U will be just fine for me.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Beta

I love the idea of playing an RPG and being transported into that world using VR. But I imagine; technologically, my dreams are years away yet. :’)

#4 1 year ago
  5. FeaturePreacher

At least he’s honest about being a shill for his company.

#5 1 year ago
  6. RocknRolla

I have dreamt of this since I was 10 years old and now I am 24 lol :D nothings happened :D

#6 1 year ago
  7. Richenbaum

@#3 Yeah! We don’t want stupid crazy hardware gimmicks! We just want new original non-gimmicky things like motion controls, touchscreens, and SOCIAL FEATURES! You know, all the things that make GREAT GAMES, PERIOD. Jesus.

#7 1 year ago
  8. viralshag

I’m going to Jonny Mnemonic the shit out of some RPGs.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Gnosis

@4: Yeah, I’m afraid there is still a very long way till a VR a la .hack. Virtual Boy was a disaster and it’s nice to see that there’s still some interest in the technology. The guy is right, that’s the kind of innovation I would love to see. Not cheap 3D or motion control.

#9 1 year ago
  10. ojinnvoltz

VR always seemed stupid to me. Virtual Insanity, now that’s something I can get behind. What’s Jamiroqui up to these days?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Moonwalker1982

What i’d like to see is the Milo tech coming back for next-gen. Imagine that you could actually conversate with important NPC’s and what not, wouldn’t that be awesome?

#11 1 year ago
  12. _LarZen_

Gaming need something “new” like the Oculus Rift. Something that will make all the difference in the world when it comes to immersion.

What good is advanced gfx if we still in 20 years if we still sits looking in to a monitor/tv when we could be “inside” the game..

#12 1 year ago
  13. vOL

Sony already years into these VR thingy..they got their own VR headsets. So I see why not if VR really what gamers want then Sony can easily mainstream their VR to the gamers especially on PS4.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Francis O

#7 way to twist the holy hell out of my words…. Sometimes I question the community on here.

#14 1 year ago
  15. OlderGamer

Welcome to the club Francis. I question it all of the time.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Richenbaum

I’m not twisting anything. You’re complaining about gimmicks then turning right around and saying you’re on board for other systems’ gimmicks and using a system that doesn’t even exist yet for an example of proper quality gameplay. Maybe you didn’t mean that, but that’s what you said.

#16 1 year ago
  17. nollie4545

This will happen, on all platforms, or they will be consigned to the dustbin. The moment a developer unleashes a game which makes use of this, the herd will scramble for it and rightly so.

I personally would like the ability to look around without having to move my character or weapon- in Arma, for example, this would be absolutely ideal because of the nature of the game- the action is all around you. There is no definitively identifiable axis from which a threat or potential point of interest could stem from. It would take a lot of practice because we’d get to the point where your weapon sights or crosshair would no longer be squarely in the centre of the screen at all times- it would move independently instead. This would be I think, similar to the jump from the old controller with a D pad to the two stick design.

To me, the OR makes far more sense than triple monitor displays or big screen TVs. Throw in some good quality surround sound headphones and a mike and I’ll be sold on this.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Richenbaum

@#17 Maybe as an optional peripheral for everything. As we can see here there will always be part of the market that will avoid things like this like the plague (and I still have no idea why any frequent gamer would NOT want something like this) and just stick to their comfortable tv/controller setup. Companies will still have to keep accommodating for the big casual market and change fearing people, at least for now.

#18 1 year ago
  19. nollie4545

Of course; it won’t be everyones cup of tea and It could be tricky to work with an RTS title.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Tehen

@4 a medieval RPG, in a medieval village like at 7:20 in this video:

#20 1 year ago
  21. Tehen

@13 According to articles and game industry people comparing the OR and existing VR headsets like Sony’s ones, the OR is much better.
    Other VR seems to be targeted at multimedia uses. This one is purely targeted at VR gaming.

The team behind it are focusing on getting the lowest latency possible.
    The OR field of view is already much larger (110°) than in any existing VR headset available to the public. And the prototype is “only” 300USD. I have not found a place to buy Sony’s latest TMZ-H2 headset but an article about it talked about 1000GBP for it. That is much more expensive.

Just watch the video they made for their crowdfunding back in 2012:

There are still improvements to be added apparently but I can not wait to try the final product.

#21 1 year ago