Mass Effect retrospective and infographic farewells Shepard

Monday, 25th March 2013 00:27 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Mass Effect’s first trilogy is over, but it won’t be forgotten. Check out a lovely farewell video from the BioWare team, and some interesting statistics from the final chapter.

I’ll try to avoid spoilers when highlighting some of the more interesting statistics; don’t read the infographic below if you’re yet to finish Mass Effect 3.

More than 64% of Mass Effect 3 players favoured Paragon over Renegade, and only 18% of those who actually finished Mass Effect 3 players as the female version of Commander Shepard. I think it’s interesting to note that BioWare has never revealed what percentage of repeat playthroughs are made with FemShep, for any of the three games to date; anecdotal evidence suggests more devoted fans tend to favour Jennifer Hale’s voice acting.

Over 43% of players chose the Soldier class, with Engineer and Adept the least popular at 5% and 8% respectively. 10.7 billion enemies have been shot in Mass Effect 3′s multiplayer.

Liara is the most popular squad member, very closely followed by Garrus. Vega has the highest survivability rate, while Kaidan has the lowest. According to Eurogamer‘s report of the PAX East panel at which the infographic and video were presented, BioWare said they weren’t planning on bringing Tali back as a squad member in Mass Effect 3, but passionate fans in the studio demanded it.

When traditional fantasy RPG developer BioWare announced Mass Effect, many fans were concerned by the shooter gameplay and sci-fi setting, but it went on to spawn one of the industry’s most successful franchises. Mass Effect 3, which released in March 2012, closed the initial trilogy and farewelled Commander Shepard and crew. A new entry will be developed at BioWare Montreal while BioWare Edmonton moves on to a new project.

1. fearmonkey

I played a femshep vanguard through the entire trilogy as a paragon. People that played as the male shep missed out, as hale’s acting was so much better.

2. Sylrissa

Agreed. though I was a renegade infiltrator

3. Brenna Hillier

No argument here.

4. TheWulf

I could never understand why anyone could tolerate playing Meer. His “voice-acting” was a pure monotone. I found it unbearable. That’s one of the reasons I ended up trying the good lady Shepard. That’s when I found out how outstanding Hale’s voice-acting was by comparison.

Meer is so monotone that he reminds me of Moloch from Project GKR. He’s just completely emotionless. It’s mildly sad that Legion managed to convey much, much more emotion in his voice than Meer did.

So my playthroughs were with lady Shep, and usually as a vanguard or other biotic/tech classes. Because vangaurds are fun to play. Plus, I’m not fond of guns, so that made it even better.

5. Sanwiches

Missed out on what?

I can’t be bothered to play a female character because the immersion wouldn’t be there for me. I guess female feels the same way about male chars.

6. Sanwiches

also the animation when they punch someone in the face is IMO horrible to watch. They just stop talking, take a pause of a couple of seconds, then step forward and punch the guy/girl, then a step backward, then a couple of words, sometimes not, and then they CAN FINALLY MOVE ON.

7. roadkill

@1 Wth are you talking about? I’m a male. Why would I play as a female? I also look a lot like Sheppard. So it it wouldn’t make any sense for me to play as a female. Unless I’m a lonely insecure person with serious personality issues.

8. YoungZer0

Naw, I gave Female Shep multiple tries, but I dislike her shallow face and voice. Male Shep sounds like a Leader, Female Shep not so much. People call him monotone, but I call him focused, direct, cool. Things a leader should be.

9. Night Hunter

The people here talk about immersion like it really existed and we are not just watching some character do and experience shit. Hilarious.

10. hypeb147

..wait..you can save both the Quarians AND the Geth?!

11. Gheritt White

Renegade Vanguard and Paragon Adept for me!

12. zinc

I’ve played through ME1 & 2 multiple times, but have yet to start ME3… knowing it’s the end of the trilogy, keeps putting me off.

13. roadkill

@9 Lol f**ktard! YOU’RE hilarious!