EA’s Origin service now has 40 million members, celebrates with Player Appreciation Sale

Tuesday, 19th March 2013 20:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA’s Origin service now has 40 million members, according to the firm. This is up from 39 million announced during its Q3 financials in January. The firm gained another 2 million new registrations in January 2013 alone, and with the launch of SimCity, the service saw 1.3 million concurrent users at its peak. To celebrate, Origin is hosting a Player Appreciation Sale for one week, with up to 70% off on select titles. It was reported earlier today that Origin contains an exploit which could allow hackers to hijack PCs. Thanks, Gamespot.

1. OlderGamer

Just because my console games take by the hand to me to register/create an origins account to play online, doesn’t an origins user make me.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

Yeah, I have no desire to give EA free money, but to be fair, they do seem to have improved the service a bit over the last year.

It creeps me out that EA apparently hate sales because they hate giving people a discount, but yet they’re still willing to do them because otherwise there’s no way they can compete.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

I think you mixed something up there.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Virginityrocks

Origin is one of the reasons why I never play BF3 anymore.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Tronros

Unfortunately from switching from console to PC, the only way I will be able to play some Bioware games and Battlefield is to use Origin. At least with this sale I will be able to play Dragon Age: Origins for $9 :P

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

@2: Hey, say what you want about Origin, but at least it doesn’t take forever to start, unlike some other service.

#6 1 year ago
  7. GrimRita

Nothing like celebrating a ‘service’ forced upon gamers. If you want to play EA PC games, you MUST install this turdware.

hence why I dont play any of their games

#7 1 year ago
  8. Virginityrocks

To be fair, Valve pulled the same scheme. And everyone hated Steam at first.

I liked it because I didn’t have to go to some random fileplanet website every time a multiplayer game needed an update.

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

@8: Yep, that’s something most people seem to forget.

BUT

If you want to play with the big league it’s not enough to do the same thing, but less successful, you need to do it better. This is where Origin fails.

#9 1 year ago
  10. SplatteredHouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSywtiAirKE …Do they ever change?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Mineral4r7s

@9 I still hate Steam but I got used to it. IF I can buy a game on GOG instead of steam I will get it there.

Steam is enough DRM for me already I am not going to install this “thing”.

And I hope consumer rights clear up soon so I can download my own copies of my games from my steam library.

#11 1 year ago
  12. NeoSquall

Seems EA only wants to “appreciate” his US customers, though, since I can’t find the promotion on the Origin Italian Store.

#12 1 year ago
  13. SplatteredHouse

@11 Do you think publishers would go for that, though? I could see it maybe after a time, but not right away. The bit that bugs me is where sometimes you find the publisher’s gone Steam, plus some other thing. That’s not good.

#13 1 year ago
  14. GrimRita

@8 Things were a bit different. Trying to get your game published a big publisher just to get some retail space. So Valve wanted to do their own thing.

Steam developed into a decent platform after a couple years – with Origin, a couple of years on, its almost at a stand still in terms of making it feel like a real community.

And lets face it, no one does a sale like Steam! Company of Heroes for £1.40?!! lol

#14 1 year ago
  15. Djoenz

Dead Space was my first game on ps3 and in order to dl tht free dlc I had to make an account on origin. -__-

For ME3 MP I have to log in on origin.. Thing is I forgot my pw….

I still get lame emails from origin.

EA sucks ass.

#15 1 year ago
  16. silkvg247

Where’s this 70%?

All I See is up to 50%, which is a reduction on games that have already been inflated by 40% or more.

Wow, such appreciation. :)

edit: lololol troll ol ol etc. At £49.99 PC games “reduced” to £29.99.. oh just fuck off, EA.

#16 1 year ago
  17. nollie4545

Origin is basically malware they force you to install. At least with steam you can choose not to use it. Furthermore, it starts quickly for me, Valve are doing small, unknown or indie developers a service with the green light system and furthermore, the sales on there are insane. There is also a better community feel and the range of titles on there, many of them totally unconnected to Valve, is massive. I won’t have a bad word said against Steam. Personally I feel it is far better and more open and less mercenary than origin, whilst having way more community than even Xbox Live of course XBL is a mandatory service forced on you by Monopolistic Software inc yet console gamers are attached to it like they were their mothers breast. Better yet, Steam isn’t in your face all the time trying to be some media/streaming arse love service when all you want is pure unadulterated gaming.

#17 1 year ago
  18. SplatteredHouse

@16: article author, and the original url to the offer page are both American.

#18 1 year ago
  19. roadkill

Does anyone know if this sale includes the Mass Effect 3 DLCs?

#19 1 year ago
  20. SplatteredHouse

Probably not, roadkill. Since you buy that stuff ingame, from Bioware. It’s not listed on Origin.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Hunam

Yeah, it’s not on the store page that shows all the offers.

#21 1 year ago
  22. freedoms_stain

There has never been a sale on PC Mass Effect DLC from ME2 onwards.

The closest thing we had to a “sale” was a Bioware Points pricing error which was only up for a few hours.

Bioware Points never go on sale either. Pricing of them on Origin is dumb too, £6 for 800, £13 for 1600… Usually buying more = discount, not in EA’s world. Buying directly from Bioware the price is a consistent £6 per 800 no matter the quantity. Still makes Mass Effect 2+3 PC DLC absolute bum rape though.

#22 1 year ago
  23. roadkill

Thanks guys! You’ve just saved me from reinstalling useless spyware.

#23 1 year ago