Wii U sales slower than “expected” since Christmas, says GameStop president

Thursday, 14th March 2013 21:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GameStop president Tony Bartel has told Forbes that sales of Wii U have been “slower than expected” now that the Christmas boom has passed; however, the executive feels titles in the current pipeline will help renew interest.

“Following the holiday launch period, sales have been slower than we expected,” he said. “Nintendo plans on launching some of their biggest IP over the next few months which we think will increase gamer interest.”

Bartel feels to compete with the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo will need to have a strong software line-up.

“Software will play a big role in each console’s success over the holidays,” he said. “We’re already seeing great developer and publisher support for PS4, so Wii U will need some great titles, especially first-party titles, to compete. There’s also a need to increase consumer awareness of the new features available on the Wii U and its tethered tablet features.”

Nintendo has said on numerous occasions it has quite a few titles coming to Wii U this summer, both announced and unannounced.

Thanks, CVG.

1. lexph3re

I hope nintendo knock my socks of at e3 because I just don’t know anymore. If I were to go out and buy a Wii U tomorrow i would just be playing Zombie U.

I will see by e3 but as it is my friends that have it love it. They just want to see games too.

2. The_Red

This E3 is gonna be incredible.
    -Nintendo knows that Sony and MS are showing their next-gen systems and games so they will have to do more than usual. They will dazzle with new, HD Zelda, Mario and hopefully Metroid.
    -Sony is probably kinda bummed about mixed reactions to PS4 reveal and may find its system overshadowed by the more recently revealed Xbox 720 or whatever is shown before E3.
    -Finally, MS will have to show its core games because in all likelihood, their April reveal will be just about crappy Kinect 2 games.

3. lexph3re

I want to see that Rpg in more detail from nintendo. Zelda hd would be nice, but its expected i will take that in strides.

I dont think Sony will be bummed or anything i think they’ll have a playable infamous,killzone, and the trump card Uncharted 4. But i want to see a new Ip from sony something that is epic but utilizes key features of ps4.

720 reveal in april i think will be more about software and live. I doubt we will see a box and if we do its just so they can have something to avoid people complaining.

I think we will see kinect with scanning features and maybe some controller implementation. I think the whole body as a controller fad is gone so the hybrid they talked about years ago will finally be realized.

I just want the rumors on 720 to be false. DRM and live are not a match made in heaven.

4. The_Red

I didn’t mean Sony will be bummed during E3. They are / could-be kinda bummed now and because of that plus Xbox pressure, will have to show their best.

5. ActionGameKing

@4 Hardly. Consumer interest in PS4 is extremely high http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/11/playstation-4-ad-tops-youtube-charts-for-february/

Plus Sony will have plenty to show come E3. As well as Microsoft and Nintendo. Expect this E3 to be possibly… the best one ever.

6. Diingo

This E3 is going to be super competitive for the big 3 console makers. Valve will be on the side lines gaining momentum underneath their noses. I’m really curious to see what Nintendo will do to show the world the Wii U is worth playing. They have the most to prove than anyone else, they cannot afford to hold back any longer.

It’s all or nothing for them.

7. viralshag

Wow, really? I don’t think anyone saw that coming…

8. OlderGamer

Well Lex, I know it doesn’t mean anything but I love my WiiU. I agree that it could use some more games. As much as I want Nintendo to sell well, I don’t recomend anyone buy a WiiU right now.

I know that I will enjoy the ussual suspects of Nintendo software once they are released. So I don’t regreat my purchase. But I know not everyone wants to wait. I would like to stop waiting lol, but Monster Hunter Ultimate comes out this week here. So that will help me out.

As far as next gen stuff, if I was a betting man, I would wager on the PS4. I know Sony as a corp is on shaky ground but I think they will bounce back. I think that MS is taking games away from the core market. I feel they are going to focus on apps and kinect too much.

I think the console market will actualy shrink next gen. I think that millions of the more casual game buying public will skip next gen systems. I think those people keep going to tablets and laptops. Or just sticking with PS360.

I feel that Sony are taking the right approach and will deliver games to gamers. Good system and I think a reasonable price(400is a bit high)(but not too bad if they can lower it a year or so after launch). Also PSN+ and Giakia could both be huge if handled right. Not to mention this gen Sony has put a lot of time into building up in house brand names. Expect to see a lot of LBP, UC, and other franchise brands.

The only thing I wonder is if Sony can some how not mess the entire thing up lol. They have made some huge stumbles with PS3 and lets not forget Vita(not exactly setting the world on fire, however it has had a good couple of weeks in JPN).

Interesting to watch, to say the least.

The only things I know for 100% sure is that I own and enjoy WiiU. And I do NOT want to own another Xbox. The ball, imo, is in Sonys side of the court. Nintendo stumbled, and a lot of gamers I have talked with are disenchanted with MS. Your move Sony.

9. thedanation

Valve anyone? Personally, I think the steam box is going to sell well, especially if they release half life 3 with it. I love my steam sales, and I personally believe this year we are going I get the valve console. I think it’s going to be a game changer, and force companies like Microsoft and Sony, who have a bad reputation of ripping people off, to start doing what steam does best-sales. We will have to see, it is all in the air, e3 is going to be great

10. YoungZer0

People eventually had to figure out that developers don’t give two shits about the console.

11. monkeygourmet

They never do with Nintendo consoles though.

It’s kind of annoying seeing old games like Batman come out at full price, do shit at retail, then hearing Dev’s complaining about ‘lack of sales’…

12. OlderGamer

MG +1

One of the biggest Publisher folly is that they seem to think that each platform/console has its own unique user base. Meaning that they seem to think that WiiU owners don’t own other platforms as well as WiiU, and that by putting out an old game(at full retail as if a new release) alot of the Wiiu console owners may well already have the game. Or at least have the option to play it on another console for a lesser price.

The pool of gamers is only so big. Not saying it is small. But MANY of the platform owners own multiplatforms. Esp when it comes to the dedicated core audiances. I own everything. So there has be a very compelling reason for me to want to buy a game on a new system if the same game is already out for an older system…and at a cheaper price. And no better graphics is not a good enough reason. Neither is 15 more mins of gameplay or an extra chapter of story.

But like MG said pubs seem to over look these things and then declare that the platform is dead and pointless to dev games for.

And ofc there is the catch 22. If new games don’t come out, the console won’t sell. If the console doesn’t sell, then new games won’t come out.

My take:

Like them or not alot of the types of gamers DudeBros(and what a stupid name lol, I spent years calling other guys man, dude or bro – guess it is my age) drive system sales. They buy new systems for different reasons or at least different types of games. While most will stick to OMP Shooters or Sport games they drive system sales.

The irony? Is that people that would be interested in a more core game like say Bayoneta 2, are a much different group of gamers. And those people will likly own all platforms anyway. In other words said game won’t sell much more being on multi systems as it would on one system…untill(hold your panties) the price reaches a bargin bin level and then the fringe audiance eats it up and the sales climb. But launch window sales, wouldn’t be effected. The problem is that many if those core games won’t make it to a platform like WiiU(I know Nintendo is funding/publishing Bay2), because the Pubs can’t really seem to understand some of these things. They just see numbers. To them more users means bigger sales.

The days of core games driving the market or even one select platform are long gone. Today said Sports Gamers and Shooter fans drive the sales. The dynamic has shifted. The rest of us follow that tide because that is what the pubs do.

But it just another example of how pubs often times fail to understand the demographics. It is why the 3rd party stuff couldn’t compete against Nintendos own stuff last gen on Wii. Pubs couldn’t figure out the game buyers of the system. And I think they still don’t have a clue. Tbh, most people here don’t have a clue either.

Said it before, still applies. WiiU needs to be cheaper, near as possible to 200usd(with a pack in). And it needs more first party releases. Nintendo put the system out before they were ready imo, and it is too expensive.