“Call of Duty almost ruined a generation of FPS players”, says Tripwire boss

Thursday, 14th March 2013 09:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Red Orchestra 2 developer Tripwire Interactive isn’t pleased with the current state of shooters, and has cited Call of Duty’s dominance over the pack as a real issue.

Speaking with PC Gamer, Tripwire’s president John Gibson was asked for his thoughts on the FPS genre today.

“I think that single-player shooters are getting better,” he replied. “I think they’re finally coming out from under the shadow of the Hollywood movie, overblown “I’m on a rail” linear shooter. I’m talking about Call of Duty-style shooters.

He added, “The melding of RPG elements and shooter elements has been great. I’ve seen this reflected in a lot of the reviews, it’s like, “Okay guys, we’re tired of this on-rails experience.”

While Gibson feels single-player shooters are getting better, he’s not pleased with the multiplayer circuit at present. He continued, “On the flip side, I’m really discouraged by the current state of multiplayer shooters. I think that, and I hate to mention names, because it sounds like ‘I’m just jealous of their success,’ but I’m really, I feel like Call of Duty has almost ruined a generation of FPS players.

“I know that’s a bold statement, but I won’t just throw stones without backing it up. When I was developing Action Mode [for RO2], I got a group of people that I know that are pretty hardcore Call of Duty players. And my goal was to create something that was accessible enough for them to enjoy the game—not turn it into Call of Duty, but try to make something that I thought was casual enough but with the Red Orchestra gameplay style that they would enjoy.

“And we iterated on it a lot. And just listening to all the niggling, pedantic things that they would complain about, that made them not want to play the game, I just thought, “I give up. Call of Duty has ruined this whole generation of gamers.”

What do you think? Harsh words, or does the man speak truth? Let us know below.

1. SameeR_Fisher

Every single person on the planet –or visiting sites and taking time to comment– will agree with him :D

Anyway to be honest I think if will blame CoD, then we need to blame the other devs as well -they should blame themselves-, tons of developers follow the CoD formula instead of making something new, cause CoD sells alot, why not try something new ?!, or revamping something old ?!

I mean I hard Red Orchestra 2 is quite great, I am not sure if they are able to or not, but they have to try to bring it to consoles, to expand the market, there is no WWII FPS around, so their game would be perfect fit, and no need to get the whole pie, focus on the hardcore and those who are interested, CoD sells cause it appeal to even 6yo kids, I don’t want that in my game.

A developer must fight casualization by introducing his/her games in a great way, I miss when I didn’t have to hear about my game getting mainstreamed, now every game must have high sales, WTF !!!

I feel I didn’t make any sense, whatever.

#1 1 year ago
  2. TheBlackHole

whatever you think of the current state of shooters, Call of Duty > Red Orchestra all day long.

#2 1 year ago
  3. G1GAHURTZ

He’s right.

He does just sound like he’s jealous of their success.

Good job, fella.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fin

I prefer the scripted nature to open-world shooters.
    Also, Call of Duty multiplayer is my favourite FPS MP.

This guy sounds up his own ass.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Crimsoneer

He’s completely right. Killing Floor and Red Orchestra are far better, more mature games than CoD ever was – and Tripwire has provided a wonderful collection of post launch patches, expansions and extra content entirely for free.
    Seriously, compare the RO or ARMA community to the COD community.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dave Cook

@1 not me. I really like the CoD twitch formula. There are many games that fall well short of what it does. But that’s the thing ‘what it does’ is different to what RO2 or BF3 does. It’s become its own thing.

I really don’t get why people cant just let it be. It sells millions. People still enjoy it. What’s the harm?

Internet!

#6 1 year ago
  7. KineticCalvaria

I would much rather take RO2 hardcore mode over Call of Duty any day. The game actually requires skill, what a thought!

@Giga arcade mode is the least played mode on red orchestra, what he’s saying is they added it to entice a broader audience of players, but call of duty players are so narrow minded that they won’t play anything else. So the normal game is actually nothing like cod, as said this game requires skill and not running around like bullets are bb pellets.

@Dave yeah sure but at the end of the day, great games are going unnoticed by the majority of gamers because they aren’t like call of duty, makes it a lot harder on the developers.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Erthazus

“There are many games that fall well short of what it does”

Counter-Strike:GO does a much better job and there is no competition in “twitch shooter” much these days. Fathers like Unreal or Quake surpassed Call Of duty when it was only first game without a multiplayer.

and Red Orchestra is a fantastic FPS game that require some skill and not just killstreaks and AUTO-AIM.

@G1GANOOB, “So, he tried to copy CoD, but failed, because hardcore CoD players actually do have standards…”

Hardcore CoD gamers have no life and never played something beyond their beloved CoD because Red Orchestra is not Call Of duty and requires actually a skill.
    No one can copy Call Of Duty which is a carbon copy of Quake 3 with Auto-Aim and killstreaks.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Pytox

Yea Red Orchestra FTW it was awesome, sadly RO2 never had enough big playercount :(

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dave Cook

@8 Maybe, but there are still many games that fall well short of what it does. RO2 and CoD are very different games. My point is that they shouldn’t directly be compared.

#10 1 year ago
  11. SameeR_Fisher

@Dave: I actually agree Dave, the problem isn’t as much as CoD as it is the devs themselves, and I am not talking about RO2 here, but the problem a publisher or a dev sees CoD success and tries to copy the formula, and we end up with CoD clones, they also casualize the games to fit CoD audience, I am sick of that.

You are absolutely right, CoD is very good to it’s fans, it sells millions cause the fans like what they are getting, simple as that, other developers should focus on their own fans as well.

People just love to hate CoD, they just blame it on both CoD and the copycat developers that try to appeal to CoD players, it is wrong YES, but what can they do ?!, every developer casulaize a game and mention CoD sales and it’s fans, so people will always hate CoD, Am I making sense ?!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

This guy is almost right. But COD has ruined this generation of FPS players And FPS in general, there is no almost about it. @6 well Dave that is cool if people enjoy COD but seeing how this FPS is king in terms of sales that holds massive influence over the genre itself, now developers/publishers will try to mimic the success and usually fail. Bottomline because of this developers/publishers won’t try something unique in FPS they will try to attract the COD Crowd which is why most shooters don’t do anything unique. E.G. Killzone 3 lightweight controls weren’t for killzone fans they were for the COD crowd, in return fans did not light that change. I am not the biggest fan of COD but when COD truly innovates expect other FPS games to follow in its footsteps.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Max Payne

Just look at campaigns of both new MoH,Battlefield 3,Homefront,Sniper Ghost Warrior (LOL) , even Killzone almost force you to just use cover every single time enemy fires couple of bullets.
    I also have problem with Mass Effect and Bulletstorm for example.
    The levels are so small and narrow you can’t do anything else but take cover. Unlike Alan Wake for example where you have big forest that you can flee in any direction
    People bitched about RAGE,Crysis 2 and Fear but at least give you more freedom then any FPS I mention above.

#13 1 year ago
  14. G1GAHURTZ

@7:

What he’s saying is that he tried to add a mode into the game that CoD fans would enjoy:

“When I was developing Action Mode [for RO2], I got a group of people that I know that are pretty hardcore Call of Duty players. And my goal was to create something that was accessible enough for them to enjoy the game—not turn it into Call of Duty, but try to make something that I thought was casual enough but with the Red Orchestra gameplay style that they would enjoy.”

But he couldn’t get it right, because they would complain about small things that he obviously felt they shouldn’t be complaining about:

“And just listening to all the niggling, pedantic things that they would complain about, that made them not want to play the game, I just thought, “I give up. Call of Duty has ruined this whole generation of gamers.”

Or in other words, he feels as though CoD has made FPSs ‘easy’, and now all of those millions of players won’t take the time to try other ‘more difficult’ games.

Which is basically poor design, when all’s said and done.

His problem isn’t what CoD has or hasn’t done. His problem is his inability to design a product for the audience that he, himself, targeted. What he’s effectively doing is blaming another game, because people enjoy it.

It’s like a car designer who comes along and says ‘Why don’t F1 drivers want to use my manual clutch, stick shift, gearbox? Paddle shifters have ruined a generation of F1 drivers! There’s no skill involved in pulling a paddle!

Like I said, it’s just bad design, in failing to cater for the needs of your target audience.

@8:

“Hardcore CoD gamers have no life”

…said the 500 hours in one summer, hardcore CoD player.

#14 1 year ago
  15. freedoms_stain

@14, Actually, no, that’s not what he’s saying there. Here’s what he’s actually saying:

It’s the gameplay mechanics that they become used to. The way that players instantly accelerate when they move, they don’t build up speed. “The weapons really don’t have a lot of power” [in RO2]. They’re all very weak. The way they handle… They’re like: “I hate Red Orchestra, I can’t play it.” Well, why? “Because the guy doesn’t move like he does in Call of Duty. Call of Duty has great movement.” Why is it great? “Because it just is, I just like the way it works.” So you don’t like the momentum system in Red Orchestra? “Yeah, it sucks, it’s clunky, it’s terrible.” Well, why? “It’s just because I’m used to this.”

Later he talks about CoD “compressing the skill gap” as he puts it, but that’s not the same as what you’re implying.

#15 1 year ago
  16. KineticCalvaria

@14:

I don’t think its down to his inability, whats basically happening is like RO2, MoH and many others, they’re trying to clone the CoD aspects to appeal to their audience, due to the fact I said before about CoD gamers being mostly unwilling to step away from the series. But obviously CoD gamers are going to look at these games and say ‘Well why should I play MoH, when I can just play CoD as I’ve been doing for years?’.

But on the other hand if they design something which isn’t like CoD, like RO2 in its normal modes (classic and hardcore) then the majority of players are complaining its not like CoD.

Personally I see why CoD was fun, but surely people are getting bored of playing the same game every single year? I played CoD4 like there was no tomorrow, but every subsequent CoD game I have played less and less, with MW3 I played for probably 3 hours online.

CoD’s dominance over the industry is frustrating because theres so little competition, its got tons of money and fans behind it and its going to be very hard to topple as gamers don’t want to step out of their comfort zone.

@15:

Exactly.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Dave Cook

@8 Call of Duty games are consistently my most-played games on Raptr by miles. I love the series.

But I also play BF3, Halo 4, Left 4 Dead and more. I could go on.

So, how exactly do CoD players only just play code?

I think you need to stop generalising. People aren’t as black and white as you’re making out. People can surprise you ;)

#17 1 year ago
  18. Fin

Like my man GIGA says, I think 500 hours makes you a hardcore CoD player.
    So you have no life? Have you ever played any other games?

#18 1 year ago
  19. G1GAHURTZ

@15:

Actually, that additional quote backs up what I said 100%.

Maybe others do, but CoD players simply don’t want clunky movement with weak weapons. So why is he trying to give it to them?

Like I said, poor design.

@16:

Yes, people are getting bored of CoD, and they do want something different. It’s simply the case that no one has been able to to make that game.

BF3 is clearly the the closest that anyone has come, but it’s still a long way off.

Like I’ve been saying for years, I think the only people who can beat CoD are the people who developed it in the first place…

Respawn.

All other devs have failed miserably.

#19 1 year ago
  20. mreko3230

Why does everything have to be compared and debated? If you want the slower more patient, realistic pacing of RO, then play RO, if you want crazy arcade style play, then play CoD.

I’ve given up on Cod because I’ve got bored, but I think calling ALL CoD players unskilled is just silly. There is a reason the same teams dominate competitive play every year (hint, they are the one who aren’t just “running and gunning”). I’ve tried to play every COD since COD2 and I still suck at it. It just reeks of elitism when an entire community is just dismissed by another. You know what COD players say about RO players? Nothing. They say nothing. They are letting RO players play their game and not going to RO message boards and comment boxes to tell everyone how much they hate RO. And CoD devs aren’t saying a word about RO or ARMA’s gameplay.

Its not like games like RO and ARMA don’t exist. They have robust dedicated communities. If you like those games go play them and enjoy them- don’t spend your days calling everyone else’s game shit.

#20 1 year ago
  21. G1GAHURTZ

“You know what COD players say about RO players? Nothing. They say nothing. They are letting RO players play their game and not going to RO message boards and comment boxes to tell everyone how much they hate RO. And CoD devs aren’t saying a word about RO or ARMA’s gameplay.”

Comment of the day!

#21 1 year ago
  22. Samoan Spider

I don’t have a problem per se with CoD single or multi player. I enjoy the single player for the spectacle and high pace. I don’t play multi player much because generally speaking, I don’t like the people. I like the special ops and zombie modes though because they allow me to have a mostly tea-bagging free experience.
    Have they ruined a generation? Possibly, but I’m on the outside of this issue looking in like many other older players. I have played FPS’ since all your bad guys/aliens were on a single plane, so I have grown with the genre. Plenty of peoples only experience has been with CoD so throw them into any other shooter and they mostly fail.
    However I don’t think its something you can easily rectify. The problem being, the games we so fondly remember don’t translate well into modern gaming and you will alienate both sides of the audience by trying to make it fit. These are the times we’re in and its up to the devs to create an experience that is capable of attracting casual and hardcore gamers alike. Lazily copying the super mainstream CoD formula has meant innovation has been lost but there are plenty of good examples out there where some clever things have been done.

Edit @20 I just wanted to +1 what you said :)

#22 1 year ago
  23. Francis O

COD sucks, and FPS kinda just suck in general.

#23 1 year ago
  24. KineticCalvaria

@20:

Actually all I’m saying, my opinion of the industry is that a lot of games are failing to succeed because the current generation of gamers have set Call of Duty as their benchmark for what is expected of an fps game.

Unfortunately the publishers, investors and developers have been trying to add elements of cod into almost every shooter, to draw in a bigger audience.

I’m not comparing, just saying that maybe this guy has a point and overall cod has been a bad thing for the gaming industry

I’m more of a Battlefield guy myself anyway, but call of duty 2 and 4 will always be fantastic games.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Digital Bamboo

Gibson’s comments are more dismissive and insulting to a wide swath of gamers than anything. Is he really suggesting that, because CoD even exists, a whole generation of gamers is ruined? Ridonkulous. So what, CoD is the new crystal meth, and anyone who has a taste is instantly and irrevocably turned into some kind of CoD zombie, unable to appreciate anything outside the pursuit of more CoD? I played my first CoD game last year, and it was a lot of fun. It looked good, played well, even surprised me with a few things…but, (as far as FPS’s) I played Killzone 2, Metroid Prime 3, Goldeneye 007, and Bioshock too, all pretty distinct experiences. I don’t get all the hate. Play it or don’t. Mimic it’s design or don’t. If your game fails to make an impact, isn’t that more likely the result of poor design than the “ruinous” effect a popular series has had on the genre?

#25 1 year ago
  26. manamana

Well, or CoD players. Battlefield used to be a large maps and vehicles game and it’s really hard to find a server with large maps on hardcore mode nowadays. It’s mostly all Metro and close quarters run and gunning. Objectives? Pfff – lone wolfes everywhere! So sad.

On the other hand it’s good to see Bohemia Interactive sticking to it’s roots. Arma3 looks and plays pretty good for an Alpha and there is hope that through Mods it will be in a pretty playable state by the end of the year.

Edit: @25 I actually think that a certain amount of players, play that run/gunning-CoD style and therefore ruin other objective based multiplayer shooters, following their old path. Noone can do anything about that playstyle but it’s there and when you are in a squad of four with three of those lone wolfes, it’s pretty difficult to go after the objectives ….

#26 1 year ago
  27. KineticCalvaria

@26:

I don’t play hardcore but I find there’s way more armored kill Conquest servers than the likes of Close Quarters servers, especially considering it’s widely known as the least popular expansion. So don’t really understand that, maybe a different region?

Yeah arma 3 is pretty great though, a lot of depth.

#27 1 year ago
  28. bitsnark

While I don’t like Call of Duty’s multiplayer at all; that is entirely my own preference and by the same tack, I can see why other people do find it compelling.

To go off on some sort bitch-filled rant about how CoD players have somehow lowered the IQ of the gaming population at large though, just makes you look like a prized cunt quite honestly.

Behave.

#28 1 year ago
  29. G1GAHURTZ

“If your game fails to make an impact, isn’t that more likely the result of poor design than the “ruinous” effect a popular series has had on the genre?”

Exactly.

People aren’t going to play something that they aren’t interested in, just because the game that they would be interested in doesn’t exist.

Basically, if there was no CoD, there would probably just be fewer FPS players, and fewer gamers in general. The idea that a world without CoD would have the same number of people, enjoying ‘better’ games, is deeply flawed.

Perhaps, without CoD’s sales (that shifts consoles, accessories, subscriptions, online traffic, etc, etc), the entire industry would have been in a much steeper decline than it’s currently in.

#29 1 year ago
  30. KineticCalvaria

It’s not really about gamers, it’s about the industry as a whole. It’s the people who are putting money into making these games, the publishers and investors. They look at the industry, see games such as Call of Duty and World of Warcraft, which dominate there genres and say ‘make me that game’.

I mean look at Star Wars: First Assault, what does that look like? CoD… And where in all likelihood has the completely random decision to make a first person shooter in the Star Wars world come from? The people with the money.

It’s not Call of Dutys fault its so popular, but I do think it has to much hold over people’s idea of what makes a good game.

Also the likes of kickstarter can be a great thing for the industry, as it shows that not everything has to be an fps. The most successful kickstarters are not fps games, but why are they resorting to kickstarter when their games are so popular, because publishers aren’t willing to take the risk on innovation.

No matter how you put it, I still believe it’s holding the industry back from making some truly innovative and deep experiences. But that’s just me.

#30 1 year ago
  31. TheWulf

The problem is that it’s so popular that there’s no room for anything else. And whilst you call it twitch, I’d call it a slow, plodding experience. Now, if you want a twitch experience you should try pretty much any Unreal Tournament game, as those truly are. And if you want an intelligent deathmatch where the environment factors in (jumping sections and traps, both natural and player activated) as much as other players, then you have to go all the way back to Duke Nukem 3D.

The problem is is that the popularity of CoD has created a malaise. Fun shooters or genuine twitch shooters are actually quite rare by comparison to how they used to be. I’ve said it before, but I would pay damned good money for an FPS that relied on more than just the gun in the player’s hands. But the thing is is that every modern shooter has forgotten how much fun the environment can be, and that’s depressing.

There’s no jumping, there’s no jump-pads, there’s no rocket-jumping, there are no traps, there’s no cleverness… it’s just… hey, we are a bunch of guys with guns in a map. Blam blam. And that’s fine for some people, but it’s just really not for me. I’m not against CoD so much, it’s that I’m against that everyone tries to copy it. I long for the days when shooters were actually more clever and intelligent, when I was happy to call myself a shooter fan because traps in levels and clever level design weren’t afraid to give you the middle finger.

I remember the ’90s had some absolutely ingenious level design. But today it’s just streets and arenas, streets and arenas, streets and arenas. In both third and first person games we have this issue. And third person games have this problem too, concentrating too much on trying to make the player feel overpowered and not enough in making the world feel alive.

Interactivity is my word. I remember when shooters were interactive. When you had a button that could reshape the playing field. And the only thing that’s come close to that is Portal, but that’s hardly a deathmatch experience. This is why, to me, deathmatch experiences today feel utterly braindead and easy compared to deathmatch experiences of yesteryear.

I long for interactive shooters where the environment is the star. I have nothing against CoD, but I have everything against how it’s blended all other modern shooters into a CoD-like malaise. No clever environements, no need for jumping skills, no need for thinking… just point and blam. It’s sad to realise that that the FPS games of yesteryear–like Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Unreal Tournament, and so on–were actually the thinking man’s FPS game.

If you want to understand, try DN3D with some player made maps, or hell, try Warsow or UT. But if you broaden your FPS experiences, you’ll understand. I wish there was less CoD and more smart FPS experiences.

Edit: Think about this… what shooters need are not only power-ups, but buttons that fling a person ten miles into the air if another person sees them going for a power-up.

Oh, and before I forget? Multiplayer Thief was fucking sublime.

#31 1 year ago
  32. freedoms_stain

@19, no, it doesn’t.

Why are the weapons weak? Because CoD players aim centre-mass. In CoD it’s ok to hit someone in the arms or legs or anywhere on the upper torso because the damage model compensates for poor aim, aiming for the head is of fairly minimal advantage versus any other possible hit box. In RO2 if you hit your enemies in the critical regions you’ll put them down about as quickly, but you have to aim for them, spraying someone in the thigh will result in a much slower kill.

That isn’t bad design. It’s different. It raises the skill ceiling. People play hundreds upon hundreds of hours of CoD without developing any particularly decent aiming skills, because they don’t need them (Gibson touches on that in the article).

As for movement, that’s a preference thing, but I personally prefer the idea of having acceleration in movement. It’s only clunky in relation to CoD’s air hockey binary movement. In relation to an actual person, it’s normal.

#32 1 year ago
  33. OrbitMonkey

CoD has nearly ruined a generation or devs, as they all scramble to emulate its success by copy-pasting as much of its gameplay into their own efforts.

#33 1 year ago
  34. manamana

“FPS games today are just so completely mindless. No skill required. No forethought or planning required. Point. Blam.” I don’t agree on that generalisation!

#34 1 year ago
  35. G1GAHURTZ

@32:

You’ve completely missed my point.

The guy clearly said that he wanted something that CoD fans would “enjoy”.

He deliberately targeted CoD fans.

Then he tried to give them a type of gameplay that was nothing like CoD. Don’t you see why there is a critical flaw in his logic?

It’s just like my initial analogy. He’s designed a product, which may well be fantastic, but his target audience clearly has absolutely no desire for it.

A Swiss Army knife may well be an amazing product, but it’s no good for building flat pack furniture. Trying to sell Swiss Army knives to people outside of IKEA to build their cupboards with is clearly a bad idea. Going on to claim that the power screwdriver has ruined a generation of furniture builders, is even worse.

Likewise, he’s designed a game mode which isn’t fit for purpose. CoD players don’t like slow, precise gameplay. End of story.

That is bad design.

#35 1 year ago
  36. DSB

Mass appeal or not, Red Orchestra 2 is still quite shit.

I quite like Tripwire though, and I think Killing Floor is an excellent game, but he’s looking at it ass backwards.

The real problem is that no one has managed to make a teambased shooter that can really rival what CoD does. No one’s bothering with real, engaging objectives, so why on earth should gamers give a shit?

That’s not CoD’s fault, that’s just suits being suits, and wanting to milk this cow to death before they move onto the next one.

#36 1 year ago
  37. karma

Always nice to see a little transparency from developers. His point is pretty valid too, if not for CoD, FPS players wouldn’t be so spoiled on CoD like games, therefore we wouldn’t see so many games that are Cod-alike, and lacking in depth.

As for single player shooters, I agree hybrid genre FPS, especially open world / sandbox hybrids are becoming way more popular than traditional straight linear shooters. But MP FPS, I just don’t think people care as much about multiplayer shooters as much as they used to. Seems to me FPS MP is a slow dying genre that a lot of gamers are starting to become tired of now.

#37 1 year ago
  38. YoungZer0

@5:

> Killing Floor
    > Mature
    > LoL

#38 1 year ago
  39. Wen3

I wonder how next gen multiplayer will be like…….if consoles and pc incorporate they eye tracking tech to aim on fps and find other ways to challenge the player…..I bet a game that could that will overthrow call of duty

#39 1 year ago
  40. BrahManDude

i agree with him you cant even think when your playing it’s way too handicaped

#40 1 year ago
  41. AwesomeGus

I think COD started as a great series and modern warfare completely reimagined the fps game market bringing waves of new gamers. But after this was discovered by the devs they started the COD yearly release. This yearly release tactic brought them loads of money but it slowed down if not stopped the expansion of the fps community. This lack of inovation is what will be the downfall of many fps and COD is the main problem. I hate COD for this as every year people waste their money on this game instead of giving their money to good devs who want to be an influence on the expansion of the gaming community, not just another COD.

#41 1 year ago
  42. noamlol2

i didn’t ruin my generation cause i never bought another cod since black cocks 1

cod is shit, so does BF3, bad company 2 was more polished and didn’t required me to pay 50 fucking dollars for just new maps

my year was full of good games aka the witcher 2 and dark souls
    other then that it was mostly shit (i’m talking to you AC3 and cash effect 3)

just don’t buy from EA/activision/ubisoft/squre enix and you’ll have a good time+ save money from buying half assed games

#42 1 year ago
  43. OlderGamer

CoD didn’t ruin anything. The game is just a product of a new enviroment. And if he thought it was bad last gen, wait till the new systems roll out. Lots more of the same. But it is what a lot of game buyers want, so it is hard to argue.

#43 1 year ago
  44. JG

You have to stay in your on style. Be a leader and stop trying to follow cod to cash in cause that could lead to failure quick just look at medal of honor using Frostbite. Be your on selves have your on game get dam creative the gameplay experience and mechanics Got to be on point more than graphics but if you can have both double edge sword. So make your engine powerful and bring longevity your game. Get people attached to different elements of your game and try not to rehash. Take notes from cod and madden rehashing socks and only reason why they aren’t hurting as bad as they should cause madden had exclusive rights to the nfl and cod never had any real competition till bf3. Then outta no were black ops 2 has to innovative and make sure it’s solid. They no what’s up but do that what I just said plus more u good. But you failed in your spirit and in your heart when u said I give up. Be smart about who you sho your talent to and by the freaking way homie….. If your game is that cold word of mouth and Internet ant no joke word will get around and you’ll blow up like halo, not knowing how big it was gonna be. Buuuuuttt at the same time you don’t want to gamble with this so make sure you have enough money to put your $hit out there. Market it riiiiigght mayne YouTube it Superbowl Sunday it Commercial it and make sure it’s at 50 percent gaming audience other 50 general public. Whaaa u don’t believe me… Look at call of dookie they blasted their $hit all over NBA finales. That’s black folks white folks Latinos all kinds of people watching… Mommas daddy’s come on mayne. That’s a huge surge. But anywayz if I made a cold @ss game that’s what I would do. One more thing lol learn from Bruce Lee. Why? He took all styles and diminished the weakness and made them into one. Do the same for your games! Dam I’m a leader. I ight duces

#44 1 year ago
  45. easyham

COD disappoints me. The multiplayer sucks because it’s STALE! I mean in MW 2 you could customize your classes which was cool. Then in BLOPS the multiplayer was like the same except a few guns were added. The freaking graphics looked the same as MW2! So then came MW3 and again terrible graphics, no new multiplayer mechanics besides a gun or two and a new care package! This why you play HALO! Halo is always evolving! Halo 2 added more vehicles, more weapons, you could play as a freaking alien, New abilities hijacking and dual wield, and better graphics! Then Halo 3 had more weapons, more vehicles, customizable armour, a new mechanic that added armour abilities, and a lot better graphics! Reach added Loadouts and more weapons and more vehicles and a HUGE selection of customizable armour and stunning graphics! Now we have halo 4 which has added as usual more weapons and vehicles but also customizable closeouts with new armour abilities, specializations, ordnance drops, reinvented game modes and gorgeous graphics! So that’s why Halo is FAR more superior to COD.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Eddie Rodrigues

@3 On a scale of Imbecile to Moron you have hit the level of Worst Fanboy 2013, that is 30% up from last year, what a great job, mate! How did Tripwire copied AN EXISTING PATTERN from the beginnings of the gaming industry (DOOM and Quake are really older than CoD if you cannot seem to understand this)? And let us not forget that Killing Floor =/= CoD Zombies =/= CoD regular-ish multiplayer

@30 I agree, the players themselves made it popular, which was fine up to MW2 where they actually innovated something, but then gamers followed the logic of “If the previous game was innovative, the next one will be innovative too” which is not the case, obviously

I am currently considering buying MW4 Or CoD Ghost or whatever its called since there are rumors that it will feature MW’s favorite masked killing machine once again (somehow) but the multiplayer just… UGH. I know it isn’t much of a difference but BF3 actually made me want to play the online modes, just don’t think BF4 will be that good but I dunno, EA made something right (despite the singleplayer being boring as hell)

#46 1 year ago
  47. xxHorseCockxx

Either John Gibson is a total ass clown or a marketing genius, but since you don’t become the president of a gaming software company by being a functioning retard I will go with genius. By making the beyond outrageous and bordering on ridiculous comment that “COD almost ruined a generation of First Person Shooters” he threw the spotlight on his game which is a Damn Good Game albeit different than COD but equally fun if given the chance. The Call of Duty Series only became what it is today through the exposure its received which translates into copies sold which en-turn translates into more money to reinvest in future games in the series. Heroes of Stalingrad deserves a much wider audience because it is a fantastic game. Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad is by no means COD and that is a GOOD THING. How will you ever find the next big thing if you don’t take the time to try something new. … I know I will be looking forward to John Gibson’s next round of audacious comments almost as much as I am looking forward to Rising Storm which is Tripwire’s Next Major Title, due to be Released later this year.

#47 1 year ago
  48. PlayerNameMiu

When you think about its really players fault for not speaking up on what they want to REALLY see

To everyone who commented, for the most part, you all have valid points and, the good thing is, you all have your OWN OPINION Thats a basic human right If someone likes or dislikes CoD for whatever reason, thats fine If you prefer Mass Effect or Dead Space 3 or even sandbox rpgs, thats fine too

If he wants something new thats what he should strive for Not another CoD I honestly am OK with Call of Duty It set a standard for gaming like Harry Potter set a standard for books, but no one complains about that do they?
    We as gamers just need to tell them straight up what it is m, cause while devs are competing amongst themselves, we could have told them to work together to make something completely NEW

Its not that hard :/

#48 1 year ago
  49. Bomba Luigi

I’m not really a CoD Fan. Mostly because I’m not really a FPS Fan, and even less a Military FPS Fan.

But you can’t ignore that they made what a hell lot of People want. Good, Bad, Genre-Destroying, whatever – they made what about 20Mio. People every Year want. So they do it right.

#49 1 year ago
  50. AmeriToast

Cod 2 was one of my favorite shooters of all time and I really enjoyed Cod 4. That being said, after Cod: WaW, I found the series to become stale and I became less interested in it. I think he has a point though, if you look at the state of FPS games on the consoles.

I don’t like CoD anymore so i look for other shooters to fill that void. I love halo and play it often but I don’t want to be playing one shooter forever. So I look to other shooters and find that they are CoD clones. Its hard to find a unique shooter on the consoles anymore because CoD has made it practically impossible for anyone to create a shooter that doesn’t feel like CoD anymore. So I have actually turned to my computer more for shooters because they have alot more to offer in variety. I find games like RO2 and NS2 way more appealing and I refuse to buy another CoD game again. I do rent them and beat their campaign but that’s all.

I know others enjoy it and imo I think they have pretty much ruined the console FPS genre. You may disagree but it is one of the biggest reasons I use my console less and less. I play my shooters on pc except for halo 4 and then I play all others on the xbox.

#50 1 year ago
  51. grenadeh

He confused the word almost with already. Not that I ever cared for RO after the combat shifted primarily to gigantic maps with vehicles. It was way better when it was a UT 2003 mod.

#51 1 year ago
  52. dan4451@gmail.com

#52 1 year ago
  53. dan4451@gmail.com

LMAO this article had me rolling. Tripwire should stop whining about CoD’s success over Red O, and expand on Killing Floor imo. If they added “RPG elements” to Killing Floor the game would be even better. That game is so underrated and underplayed. Something like a simple attribute point system. w/e ill be playing Bf3 anyways

#53 1 year ago
  54. bradk825

So he made a game people didn’t enjoy, and that’s CoD’s fault… Okay.

How about go back to the drawing board, make a game that plays well and is exciting to play and stop pretending Activision is causing your issues.

There are plenty of shooters out there having success that are nothing like CoD. Halo plays incredibly differently, how are their sales doing?

#54 1 year ago
  55. Caddilac_Joe

HELL YA COD RUINED THE GENRE STUFF LIKE AIM ASSISTANCE DUM SPAWNS ON REAL TAKE BULLET DAMAGE DUM ASS SPAWN POINTS QUICK SCOPING THESE ARE ALL THINGS NOT REAL THE COD GENRE IS A NOOB SHOOTER THAT SPARKED A MASS FLOOD OF NOOBS BECAUSE IT WAS TOO DAM NOOB FRIENDLY YA IT OPEND PEOPLE’S EYES TO A GENRE BUT WHEN IT CAME TO CONSOLE COD DESTROYED WHAT A SHOOTER WAS AND BECAUSE BACK THEN BEFOR COD THERE WAS pc GAMES ONLINE LIKE DELTA FORCE RAINBOW SIX SERIES Rouge Spear covert operations urban operations black thorn eagle watch games like the first ghost recon counter strike 1.6 source all that stuff had no aim assistance had no fucked up spawns a lot of people forget and console people don’t know that bf2 had uav ammo supply drop and vechile supply drop and artillery strike way before cod ever thought of it you cod people can back your game up all day fact is us hard core pc online shooter gamers where here first and sad when the day came your cod came into play and fucked up a genre not to mention there are not many leagues out there like there use to be. the thing about cod is there is nothing real to it, its almost like a fantasy world where you run and gun has stats you get rewarded for killing someone and then you get to spawn rape the shit out of them and let kill streaks do the rest of the work no skill at all to that the game always just has 1 map where you can snipe on and the rest is a unreal quick scope idea its lame. but its for a person who wants to jump in wreck be a one man army but ever notice how toward the middle of the year people fall off there cod and play something other then a shooter its because the game cant hold enough action and fun before users get to bored. my dad is 54 and still is playing BF2 wont try bf3 I’m hoping he will try bf4 but im afraid he will be sad to see what has happen to FPS genre

#55 1 year ago
  56. OwnedWhenStoned

PUNCTUATION

#56 1 year ago
  57. Samoan Spider

@55 I’ll give that essay an F- because of a lack of punctuation, as #56 says, but also improper use of capitalisation and general lack of cohesion!
    But I’ll give you a single bonus point for specifically mentioning Rogue Spear in your tirade, which in my opinion was a fantastic game!

#57 1 year ago
  58. DarkElfa

COD didn’t ruin anything but most developer’s chances of making a successful FPS.

The people who made COD just hit a homer is all. It can still be replaced as the top FPS, someone just has to make one that appeals more to the FPS fan.

Sorry that RO2 didn’t do that Tripwire, now stop whining, get back to the drawing board and next time don’t make a WW2 shooting simulator and expect it to dethrone the number one FPS on the charts.

#58 1 year ago
  59. sebastien rivas

I love FPS but I hate FPS (on my pc at least)
    I love the thrill of playing against other players. It is fast pace and heart jumping :)
    I hate the slightest ping that makes my crosshair shoot on target but my target ain’t there anymore and/or for obscure reason my target will not die.

I never tried CoD to be honest, all I tried was BF3.
    To me, as long as a game open doors to cheater(s) then there is no game to begin with.
    I will not be back to BF series unless they control all servers backed with several 24/7 employees to kick out game missuser(s).
    Otherwise I had a great, great, great experience with the game.

#59 1 year ago
  60. Kreion

That’s a bit unfeasible, just accept that cheaters are always going to exist. It’ll make your life easier in the long run -.-

I think that ‘ruined’ is a bit of a harsh word to use here. Games have become easier as a byproduct of becoming more accessible, so it’s unlikely you’d have the type of games we have now if games didn’t develop in this way. The money just wouldn’t be there to support it. People also have higher expectations of games now, at least in some areas. Not all of them, that’s pretty obvious.

Pining the blame on CoD is another weak point, since whilst it may be the dominant game, there were many FPS which were already moving in this direction. CoD didn’t just spawn all its ideas out of nowhere, it built upon other popular games and indeed itself.

If you want people to want to play your game then make a damn tight game. People will notice and complain about the little things.

#60 1 year ago
  61. TheRedBeaver

I agree entirely cod was meant for 12 yr old kids and 50 yr old dads. The games multiplayer is so unrealistic and I know it a video game but we play for how close it can come to reality. In terms of single player, being strung along like a movie without the ability to approach a mission differently or even to take charge of your squad is depressing. and cod does hold a sort of marketing monopoly over fps which makes it hard for gamers to find better games.

#61 1 year ago
  62. Caddilac_Joe

the REAL FPS DAYS BUT NOW ITS ALL ABOUT CASH IT WAS NOT LIKE THIS BUT THANKS TO COD RISEON CONSOLE AND THE MONEY THEY HAVE MADE THEY HAVE MADE STUFF WE CALLED AUTO AIM AND SPAWN TRAPPING COOL AND TOOK PRIDE IN TAKING AWAY THE REALISM OF A FPS. IT IS NOW A ARCADE FOCUS GAME THEN IT IS REAL AND THE FPS GENRE FOCUSED ON REAL NOT FAKE FANTASY WORLD. SHOUT OUT TO OLD SCHOOL PEOPLE AND COMPANYS THAT DID THE BEST GAMES

CONSOLE PLAYERS WILL NOTICE THEY DONT RECKONIZE ANY OF THESE GAMES BECAUSE THEY WHERE PC AND FPS ONLINE WAS FIRST DONE ON PC AND IF YOU PLAYED THE PC FPS YOULL NOTICE THE CHANGE IN GAMEPLAY AND REALISM SOUNDS AND GUN CONTROLL AND BOTTLE MOVEMENT AND RAG DOLL AFFECT AND BLOOD AND SO FORTH NOW ITS SPAWN RAPE AIM ASSIST AND GUN STATS? ALL THE REAL LEAGUES OUT THERE ARE DEAD

old school ^^^^^^ now for the change

new school looks nothing like the old days and half the shit that’s down now has been done before all cod did was take away the hard core FPS Fans and jack other people stuff with there own noob friendly mix and made bank salute to cod maybe one day you’ll make a cod that appeals to realism and the hard fan base that was here first

#62 1 year ago
  63. Caddilac_Joe

to say that cod didn’t crush the fps genre is stupid and if you have not played from the start of this shit to now you have no idea what your talking about things have changed the gameplay is way different from what it was and truth be told they set the ground work for other games later on but cod all your going to become is like madden something little bit new every year

props to bf4 evolution looks great and a step forward hope to see rain bow six patriots

hey cod for ghost lets have a map pack with the same map ive seen befor but this time it can be snow ? lmao

#63 1 year ago
  64. Blazinghaze74@gmail.com

#63 Caddilac_Joe COD didn’t crush the fps genre. Wolfenstein 3D,Doom,GoldenEye 007,Maze War and Spasim did. Maze War and Spasim were basically the first FPS games made. Wolfenstein 3D made the genre ‘proper’ and making it famous.It built on the ray casting technology pioneered in earlier games to create a revolutionary template for shooter game design, which first-person shooters are still based upon today. It also popularised the FPS onto PC.Doom was a refined version of Wolfenstein 3D template by having improved textures,differences in height(such as going up the stairs)and effect such as burning light flickering and patches of darkness making the games much more realistic than the simplistic level in Wolfenstein 3D. Doom also allowed competitive matches between multiple players, .termed “deathmatches”, and the game was responsible for the word’s subsequent entry into the video gaming lexicon. The game was so popular that its multiplayer features began to cause problems for companies whose networks were used to play the game. Because of that, Doom is basically the most important FPS/game in FPS Genre ever made. it was highly influential not only on subsequent shooter games but on video gaming in general,and has been available on almost every video gaming system since. Also multiplayer gaming, which is now integral to the first-person shooter genre, was first achieved successfully on a large scale with Doom. Goldeneye 007 was important too because it was the first landmark game on a console. It also featured a sniper rifle, allowing you to take headshots and has incoporation of stealh element. It’s true that COD changed the view of ‘general FPS’ but it didn’t ‘crush the FPS Genre.Actually, Medal Of Honor would have ‘crushed’ the FPS Genre, the reason is because it started a long run of FPS during the WWII.Whew… I’m done. Well that’s all I have to type. :)

#64 12 months ago
  65. DarkElfa

Too
    Long
    Didn’t
    Read
    Don’t
    Fucking
    Care.

#65 12 months ago
  66. Davschall

I think it comes down to whats “right” and what “is” are not always the same. I mean with todays grubby mcdonalds grabbing pudgy people, its obvious games would take the dive into lazy, but I mean cant even aim for your self! I laugh when COD gamers think they are good at fps’s. Yea? Play a game without snap to neck aim assist, like oh shit someones behind me, boom headshot! Congrats to activision they feed the sheep, and it obviously works, but ill support games that break the mold, that try to add realism to their games. Just because im apart of this generation, doesn’t mean I have to like horseshit just cause everyone else does.

#66 11 months ago
  67. fkit

Video games makes an entire generation unable to determine what the word art means.

#67 11 months ago
  68. chrtylee

i would like to see a modern day Conflict go online. I still play Conflict:Desert Storm on my ps2

#68 10 months ago
  69. pcbros

COD did not ruin the FPS genre. That’s a dumb statement. They created a game that became crazy popular. Just because the competition releases games that do not appeal to the masses or doesn’t sell as well, doesn’t mean COD ruined the genre.

It’s not like gamers were force fed COD since infancy and grew up craving only COD games. Just because your preferred FPS isn’t selling as well or isn’t as popular, don’t blame COD.

If anything blame the millions of gamers who buy every COD game that is released.

With that said, I don’t like COD and most FPS games. Portal, Mirror’s Edge and The Stanley Parable are the closest things to a FPS that I play.

But I just think that statement shows more frustration on the developer’s part than intellect.

#69 10 months ago
  70. chrtylee

I hated all the ps2 cod games. I didn’t start liking cod until the first modern warfare. I also hate WaW, and BO 1&2. Not including pc the only fps games I like are COD MW 1-3, and the halo series. I have not yet played halo 4. I want to play Defiance because I love the show, and I can not wait to play destiny.

#70 10 months ago