Monkey Island creator farewells Double Fine

Tuesday, 12th March 2013 04:31 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Secret of Monkey Island creator Ron Gilbert has left Double Fine.

Gilbert announced his departure on his blog.

“Now that The Cave is done and unleashed on an unsuspecting world, it’s time for me to move on from Double Fine and plot my next move. So many games left to be designed,” he said.

“I want to thank all the amazing people at Double Fine for all their hard work on The Cave. It was a true pleasure to work with every one of them over the past two years. So much fun. I will miss them all. And of course to Tim for creating the opportunity to come there and make The Cave.”

Gilbert’s departure is not much of a surprise; when he joined the studio in September 2010, he and Double Fine boss Tim Schafer both seemed to look on the arrangement as a formalisation of a pre-existing agreement supporting The Cave’s development, rather than a permanent position.

We look forward to seeing what the LucasArts veteran does in the future, but right now, he and Clayton Kauzlaric are working on an iOS side project, Scurvy Scallywags in The Voyage to Discover the Ultimate Sea Shanty: A Musical Match-3 Pirate RPG.

Thanks, Johnny.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Australian English is very strange…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Brenna Hillier

@1 *sigh* if there’s a typo please just point it out instead of being snarky

#2 1 year ago
  3. Telepathic.Geometry

It’s in the title, maybe “says farewell” would be better?

#3 1 year ago
  4. G1GAHURTZ

It’s not a typo, but I’ve just learned that Australians use the word ‘farewell’ as a verb.

Which is strange, because the rest of the English speaking world doesn’t.

(Apart from New Zealand…)

#4 1 year ago
  5. Brenna Hillier

We sure do:

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dragon246

@brenna,
    So Australians follow British or American English? Or Australian English has developed into a separate entity?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Brenna Hillier

@6 it is its own thing, officially, but in the main it follows UK rules. We strongly support extraneous “U”s, for example. The VG247 policy is every writer follows the rules of their own territory, by the way, so that’s why if we’re all updating an article you’ll sometimes see mentions of “color” and “colour” side by side.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dragon246

@Brenna,
    Happy to hear that :) I was feeling a bit out of place seeing everytime I typed colour, it showed (it still shows) a red underline saying its wrong.

#8 1 year ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

^ If you use Firefox, you can install another spellchecker/language pack by right clicking on any text box and clicking on ‘languages’.

So basically, you can change it to British English, rather than US English, if that’s what you use.

I’m not sure about other browsers…

#9 1 year ago
  10. Brenna Hillier

Pfff, fascist spellcheckers. WE DO WHAT WE WANT

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dragon246

@GHZ,
    I use FireFox (WHO NEEDS CHROME!). Its just didn’t bother me as much to check out the options. Doing that now. Thanks.

@Brenna,
    Right. “Colour” till I die!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Telepathic.Geometry

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve raged at Windows Word for refusing to accept my desire to write in European English. FUCK YOU Windows!!! …sorry.

#12 1 year ago
  13. YoungZer0

Can we talk about the importance of the topic? I think it’s rather interesting and I would’ve never seen it coming.

#13 1 year ago