Tales of Xillia gameplay footage features English voice actors

Saturday, 9th March 2013 21:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Some footage for Tales of Xillia has appeared, in which you can hear the English voice actors speak in-game for the first time. It’s below, courtesy of NeoGAF, via Gematsu. Tales of Xillia is a PS3 exclusive and is out sometime this year.

1. Erthazus

I hate english translation, but I will get this for sure. Previous Tales were great.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Clupula

I’ve always loved the interaction between characters in the Tales games. Could never figure out why other JRPG’s didn’t do the same.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Greek God

Xillia will be my third tales game!
    cant wait ^_^

#3 1 year ago
  4. silkvg247

Oh God, that’s awful. bad, bad voices, and it isn’t even lip synced.

I hope we can just have the original voices otherwise it’s just fallen off my list.

#4 1 year ago
  5. lexph3re

i played destiny,phantasia, eternia, worlds, abyss, graces f, legendia

I am getting ready to play vesperia and this very soon. Xillia 2 looks pretty awesome though i want that too

#5 1 year ago
  6. Clupula

@4 – Well, take it off your list then. I don’t see why everybody makes such a big deal out of Japanese voiceovers. I mean, yeah, they’re nice to have for the people who are into that sort of thing, but the only time I want to hear Japanese voices is from characters from Japan. I wouldn’t want to play Yakuza in English and I wouldn’t want to play this in Japanese. I see characters with European features (even if they’re drawn in an anime style), I want them to speak English.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Moonwalker1982

Tales of Graces F on PS3 was a disaster, because of the horrible voice acting of a few characters, for example Huber, oh my god there were times i wanted to throw the controller at the screen, instead i just turned the game off. It’s too bad cause Tales of Vesperia wasn’t as annoying by a long shot, it actually was pretty alright when it came to the VO.

#7 1 year ago
  8. lexph3re

I never understand the quarrels with Voice acting. I mean it’s like listening to everyday people. I never met a person in real life who had a voice that I couldn’t stomach so much I had to leave their presence.

Never had an issue with it in games to. Especially, if the game play warrants it I can look past any minor annoyances.

#8 1 year ago
  9. OrbitMonkey

@6, European features should have European voices!!?

You racist!!

:-P

#9 1 year ago
  10. silkvg247

@6 It’s not because I don’t want English at all, it’s because the English voice overs are always of a very, VERY low quality compared to the original Japanese ones, and usually the lip syncing isn’t re-done.

It just doesn’t fit. It takes away from immersion and belief in the characters.

Even on that clip the completely non lip synced popups had voices that sounded like some dude/chick just dragged off the street and asked to read a line of a script. Devoid of emotion. Rubbish, like I said.

It’s for these same reasons most people prefer to watch anime with subs and the original audio.

So when I tell you I would rather hear a load of Jap babble than English voices, trust me, it isn’t because I have any fondness of the native language, it is because the English version is just THAT bad compared.

#10 1 year ago
  11. manamana

Absolutely agree silk! Original audio is key, as long as the voice overs aren’t of high production standards.

#11 1 year ago
  12. appliances for sale

Free classifieds for Ghana and Nigeria: Real Estate & Housing, Cars, Services, Jobs, Entertainment, Education and more. You can Register now and become a part of the UFRICA community. Then you can Log in here and buy, sell, offer,free ads posting or manage your account. It is very nice way to appliances for sale.
    appliances for sale

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

@7 – If you say anything about the English voice of Pascal, you are an inhuman monster.

@10 – See, that’s the funny thing. It totally takes away from the immersion and belief in the characters for me if they’re speaking a language that doesn’t fit their visuals. I look at this video and my first thought was, “The voices aren’t spectacular but everyone’s voice certainly seems to fit what I’d imagine they’d speak like.”

Playing the Agarest Wars games and, to a lesser extent Battle Fantasia, it completely prevents me from getting into the characters when they only speak Japanese.

In fact, on Capcom fighters, I usually set the Asian characters to speak Japanese and the ones from other places to English…

…except for Dan, because he sounds like the world’s biggest con man in English and that totally fits the character more. Same with Juri. Her English voice just trounces her Japanese voice when it comes to sounding malicious and sexy.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Clupula

Actually, thinking about it, I really thought Hubert’s English voice fit him really well in Tales of Graces F.

#14 1 year ago
  15. stockops3

I will never understand why people who don’t speak or know Japanese want to listen to the voice track? The subs are never right and people bitch, when they have a great English dub, they bitch, you heard what 2 mins of the footage and its instantly, `english dub sux` yeah because 2 mins is all of the voices, Tales Of Grace F had a great dub, storm 3 has a great dub minus the script, Persona 4 has a better than jap dub, I like blazblue dub, etc. Its something I will never understand, you don’t understand it? Why would you listen to it?

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

@15 – Storm 3? What’s that?

#16 1 year ago
  17. stockops3

^Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3

#17 1 year ago
  18. silkvg247

@15 Did I not explain myself clearly? I don’t want to listen to Japanese, it’s just that it’s the lesser of two evils. Why would I listen to it, even with poor subs? Because I want the voices to at least convey the emotion of the character correctly and in accordance with the script.

The problem is that there isn’t a decent budget put into the work of translated dubs (especially on multi-language releases e.g. the EU), so it usually always ends up either ear bleedingly terrible, or if we’re lucky just a little rough around the edges.

I have seen a few English dubs that have been done properly and with a high budget, and naturally I will pick those over the Jap audio.

#18 1 year ago
  19. greedhyogi

So I can’t seem to find out who the English voice actors are. The main reason is because fans are constantly complaining about the voice actors!Unless you HAVE played the game you HAVE NO right to complain about it. Just because there was one video where the voices weren’t at their par it doesn’t mean it’s an unworthy game. I’m on so many sites wher I’ve been hearing “Voice actor this and voice actor that” No opinions on the artwork, no opinions on the battle style, just ” Voice actor”. I understand its the fifteenth anniversary game of tales and its the first time that Kosuke Fujishima and Mitsume Inomata, the two main tales artist, have come together and that means high expectations. I have played every Tales game and I beat Graces F and thought it was a cheesy cliched Tales game, but thats what made it so great! It woulden be a Tales game if it wasnt cheesy! Vesperia stands differently than the other games, and with Xillia is returning to the roots of Tales, and has a combination of Vesperia and Graces action! In my opinion EVERY tales game started out as MEH with the voice actors and got progressively better as it went on. I mean 5 years ago I bouht and played Eternia and its acting was at first bad, but then I got used to it it fit and nobody would have been able to do a better job back in 2000. Legendia… I love that game and everyone tells me it sucked… everything about it sucked… they were wrong. Yes it was made cheaply, yes it was annoying to have to not have a jump out of dungeon button. However the plot and characters and battle was great. It would have been nice to had multiplayer though. my fist tales game was symphonia, then it went phantasia, abyss, Legendia, Dawn of the New World, Vesperia, Destiny2(Which is Eternia in japan), then Vesperia, radiant myth, graces f, and last year I played Abyss 3D. Destiny I haven’t yet bought and played. They are all grat games, Ive watched all the animations made thus far, and read the manga that has been translated. It s all great. Now, The English dubb has been a reason why many North American fans haven’t been wanting to buy Xillia. No it’s about the sequel. We for those who want it won’t get it because nam I plainly stated that we won’t get it if the first one doesn’t sell we’ll. just look at Vesperia. It didn’t sell as we’ll as they would have hoped in NA so we didn’t get the PS3 version. That and the exclusive rights went to Microsoft. Not sure why but we never get Destiny 2, Rebirth, tempest, or hearts. Those ones didn’t sell we’ll in Japan though. However we did have the rights to release Hearts here, but for some reason the never did. TOS 2 didn’t do so well either so we didn’t get graces but I hink the graces had bugs on the wiiversion as well. We didn’t get radiant Mythology 2 & 3 or VS. bec the first Radiant Myth didn’t sell we’ll. The Abyss animation wasn’t dubbed and they are deciding wether or not if we will get Symphonia’s animation. Well be lucky to get that one dubbed. Basically it all comes down to how well the game sells if we will get future tales games or not. And hearin fans complain about a game they haven’t played and then refuses to buy it makes me mad because the rest of us suffer. For those who give ur full support I thank you. These really are great games and from what I’ve heard from Japan and reviews is that it is proving to be one of the greatest Tales games. Just a little bit longer and we will be able to play it!

#19 1 year ago
  20. Rosseu

^It would have helped if you could made that into paragraphs. I don’t know about you guys but I really like Johnny Bosch’s voice acting (VA of Guy Cecil, and one of the antagonists in Eternal Sonata). Every time I get an rpg I am secretly hoping he’s one of the VAs

#20 1 year ago
  21. Clupula

@19 – Seriously, that’s hurting my eyes.

#21 1 year ago