Wii Mini was announced for a UK release on Tuesday. An independent poll has stated that 74% of UK residents think Nintendo’s console is pointless. Ouch.
Now, a disclaimer: The poll was carried out by VoucherCodesPro who I hadn’t heard of before I got their press release. Also, they only polled 1,003 Brits, so it’s not exactly representative of the whole country.
Regardless, I have seen many gamers online question the Wii Mini’s existence since it was revealed, so there may be truth to the findings.
The poll simply asked, “Are you excited about the Wii Mini announcement?” 76% said no, while the remaining 24% said yes.
Those who said no were then asked to state their reason. They responded as follows:
1. Don’t see the point – 74%
2. No advance in graphics – 56%
3. Just rehashing an old console, not a technological advancement- 49%
4. Small size not a big enough selling point- 47%
5. Already own an original Wii – 42%
When asked ‘Would you be likely to purchase a Wii Mini once it’s released?’ participants replied:
No – 61%
Yes – 22%
Don’t know – 17%
VoucherCodesPro’s George Charles said of the results, “It seems that despite the release of the Wii U and with the recent announcement of the PS4 and the anticipated Xbox 720, Nintendo still felt the need to get in there with another release. Unfortunately for them, gamers just aren’t bothered; according to our poll at least.
“It’s an exciting time for gamers who’ve been waiting several years for the next big console release. But the Wii Mini doesn’t carry the same gravitas. With no anticipation of improved graphics and no real advance on the original console, is it the case of flogging a dead horse?”
Over to you now. What do you make of the above, and Nintendo’s announcement. Is it indeed pointless? Let us know below.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.