PS4 will display 4K video, but games will miss out

Thursday, 21st February 2013 16:25 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 will output video at 4K resolution, but not games, Sony has confirmed.

Speaking with Joystiq, SCEE president Shuhei Yoshida confirmed that video would be displayed in 4K, but that games would be presented at a lower resolution. It’s not so big a loss when you consider how insanely expensive 4K tellies will be for a few years yet.

We’ve got the official PS4 spec sheet here, suggesting that there is a lot of technical clout under the hood.

1. matirishhh

I hope they will finally use more of 1080p…How many games was using that resolution on PS3? MGS4 and what else?

#1 1 year ago
  2. RandomTiger

The performance hit for rendering games at 4K would be way too high. However if in the future the net can download 4K video fast enough you could stream a game with gaikai.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

All modern gpus support 4k res. It was pretty much a given. Would be surprised if 720 didn’t support it, as its gpu will natively do support 4k.

#3 1 year ago
  4. robmlufc

#1 is spot on. 4k games are at least a generation away. 1080p isn’t even fully used yet.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Samoan Spider

Streaming 4k would take a tasty consistent internet connection but the tv’s to show that detail is a touch out of my price range :).

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

Soon videocards will be able to show 4K image in games.

Titan is the last videocard that will hold 4K image.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Beta

I agree with 1. Only 1080p 60fps game that immediately comes to mind on PS3 is Wipeout HD.

I would love and demand to see more 1080p games next gen. Some games don’t even reach 720p this gen and are upscaled from sub hd..

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dragon246

@5,
    An example, A full length film is a whopping 130 gb in 4k.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Samoan Spider

@8 But by contrast a red-ray converted movie clocks in at 9gb per hour -> http://www.red.com/store/products/redray-player

#9 1 year ago
  10. The_Red

Superb news IMHO. People like me that are happy with 720p-1080p on consoles can enjoy the lower price and more graphical density of the console and ultra pixel lovers that want 4k, 8k and more can go pay all they want for whatever PC system they want and enjoy.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Cobra951

I can’t imagine ever caring about anything beyond 1080p. Not for a TV I’m likely to afford anyway. Hell, with my old eyes, 720p is plenty good enough.

#11 1 year ago
  12. noamlol2

1080P is enough for me

plus nobody owns a 4K capable TV
    so it’s no biggy for me

still.. they could implant it on the slim version in 3 years ahed

that would be awesome to see happening

#12 1 year ago
  13. Eddie Rodrigues

What… no… WHAT?!

There goes down my will of buying this console, geez what are they thinking: no PS3 saves, no PSN items from PS3 (somehow Vita ones will) and now this.

#13 1 year ago