PS4 supports current-gen Move controller but not DualShock 3

Thursday, 21st February 2013 20:58 GMT By Phil Owen

It was probably too much to hope that we would be able to use our current PS3 gamepads with the new PS4 hardware, and it sure turned out to be.

Polygon asked SCE Worldwide president Shuhei Yoshida if the PlayStation 4 would allow consumers to use their now-standard DualShock 3 controllers with it despite the DualShock 4 having a lot of additional functionality. He said: “No, [the PlayStation 4] doesn’t support DualShock 3 but it does support PS Move.” That is, you can keep the Move controller you picked up in that SOCOM 4 bundle on impulse, but you’ll only continue to get use out of the DualShock 3 if you keep using your PS3. And you should definitely keep your PS3 handy anyway.

This isn’t terribly surprising, as a lot of or most new games will have functions you don’t have with the DualShock 3. That thing doesn’t have a touchpad or a “share” button, after all.

1. RandomTiger

Poor show Sony, fine to enforce the primary must be the new pad but let us use our old pads for local multiplayer.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

@1, Dualshock 4 is too different to 3. Developers will have issues to make a game for both controllers.

One has a touchpad, another one has just two buttons in the middle and no share button.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Eddie Rodrigues

I can use my Vita anyway… finally a use for it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. CyberMarco

@2 I think there will be games that wont revolutionize the control inputs. Games like FIFA, fighting games like Street Fighter, racing games etc.

#4 1 year ago
  5. RandomTiger

@2 Thats fair enough if they are making use of those features but if not then there should be the possibility of support. It should be the developers choice.

#5 1 year ago
  6. RandomTiger

I’m thinking about Castle Crashers, Little Big planet etc. I have 1 PS3 pad and a couple of PS2 pads which I can use. I wouldn’t go out and buy a 3 pads just for a couple of games, they would cost as much as a game each.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Eddie Rodrigues

@6 Wise words

#7 1 year ago
  8. Christopher Jack

Not that I even own a PS3 anymore but that’s a poor way to entice your current user base into upgrading. I think initial sales will be low thanks to the lack of compatibility with current gen shit.

#8 1 year ago
  9. nikk900

I don’t see a problem with this. It’s a new system with a new controller. I wouldn’t want to use a DS3 anyway.

#9 1 year ago
  10. theevilaires

Thats some bullshit. I really dont like that controller. Really you guys should be supporting me in making this one at least a 3rd party controller.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Beta

Sorry, why would they support an old controller?

#11 1 year ago
  12. CyberMarco

^ Because why not? I can use my PS1 controllers on my PS2 and can use my PS2 controller on my PS3. The other days I was playing with my brothers Scott Pilgrim Vs The World with two Dualshock 3 and a Dualshock 2 connected via cheap PS2-to-USB connector.

#12 1 year ago
  13. nikk900

@11 Exactly, it’s like everyone is picking at every little thing. Guaranteed if sony didn’t bother making the DS4 and just said everyone should keep hold of the DS3 people would be pissed.
    Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

#13 1 year ago
  14. manamana

Ahh, finally! TEA got rid of his gif :-)

#14 1 year ago
  15. DSB

I have a brother who likes to throw his gamepads around when he loses at FIFA, and he’s pretty worried about the expenses involved if it comes with a touchscreen :P

Won’t someone please think of the reckless hotheads!

#15 1 year ago
  16. MadFingerz

I never even got around to buy a DS3 (too pricy) and still use the stupid ones that came bundled with it, forgot their stupid name. I’ll be more than happy in using just DS4.

#16 1 year ago
  17. sg1974

@10 Dude, Macafee just gave that page a “ARE YOU THAT FUCKING STUPID TO COME HERE?!” warning when I clicked the link.

@16 It was called SIXAXIS.

#17 1 year ago
  18. NightCrawler1970

Thats utter bullshit, i was hoping that old controlers can run on the new console, bluetooth = bluetooth….

#18 1 year ago
  19. MadFingerz

Oh yeah, Sixaxis, dreadful things. Ironically, I went with the bundle that came with two of those and the first time I used both the DS3 was already around. Oh well, I hope the PS4 will be bundled with two DS4s.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Sanwiches

you guys like to complain about details.
    just keep your old ps3 and you’ll use your old controller.

you can’t just have everything for free otherwise everyone would be poor.
    and by free i just mean that you have to buy a new…. OH NEVERMIND YOU GET A CONTROLLER FREE WITH YOUR GODDAMN PS4

#20 1 year ago
  21. Beta

@20 First rule about gamers: They’re a pessimistic bunch and will complain about anything ;P

#21 1 year ago
  22. Bill_E_Talent

@15 LOL! TBH the thought has occured to me as well, as I have been known to give them the odd twist now and then. I fear the touchpad/move eye would be much less inclined to continue to work post twisting versus a DS3.

#22 1 year ago
  23. gamefreak2000

Can anyone please tell me if there will be ps4 sports games that can be played on ps4 using the current ps move(used for ps3).
    I am new to consoles so i am quite confused. Please don’t blast at me!

#23 11 months ago
  24. Dragon246

@23,
    If you are talking about sports champions type of game, then sorry, none of those kinds of games have been announced for PS4.
    However since Move is supported by PS4, you can look forward to at least some games supporting it, like Octodad, and maybe Media Molecules next game too.

Hope that helps :)