Killzone: Shadow Fall – debut gameplay, watch it here

Thursday, 21st February 2013 00:26 GMT By Sam Clay

Here’s Killzone: Shadow Fall, running on the Playstation 4. Prepare to be blown away some incredible visuals, and get all the details in the announcement post.

Your thoughts? Comment below. And don’t forget to check out our full report of the PlayStation 4 reveal.

1. LuLshuck

Jesus that AI is terrible, graphics are good, looks like crysis 2

2. Mike W

You’re crazy, that looks better than crysis 2. What the fuck are you smoking?

3. Beta

@1 Trolling or insane?

4. LuLshuck

Insane, even the white buildings look like the buildings in halo reach

5. DeVitowned

He does it for the luls. Don’t need an outside input to tell you what you saw.

6. splashofartstudios

Looks like a generic fps….

7. YoungZer0

Let me fucking play as the Helghast! Jesus fucking Christ! Why is that so hard to understand?!

8. xino

graphics are purely insane, but Killzone is still the same weak game!
    what’s so new about this? just the graphics.

graphics are mentally insane:)

9. Dave Cook

@8 ‘still the same weak game’

Because you’ve played it?

10. Mike W

@Dave

Don’t listen to these dickheads.

11. Erthazus

I said before that Guerrilla can’t do shit. I thought with the next game they will be better but reality is that…

Game was GENERIC as hell. Graphics? Have you seen Crysis 3 at max or Battlefield with 64 players with the latest direct X?

So far this game could be at the PS3 minus “charater animations”, “resolution” and Anti Aliasing, particle effects (physics).
    I bet this game will run on PS4 for 30+ frames per second or even more.

Nothing special. You can call me a dickhead but there was nothing great in it from the gameplay standpoint or visuals.

Yeah, City was beautiful, particle effects… New next gen feature … bleh… That’s called PhysX.

12. splashofartstudios

@11 I TOTALLY agree with you… I was unimpressed.

13. lexph3re

Pfft… I was impressed and seeing the gun change modifications from scope to rail gun? that was sexy. The traversing of the environment was smooth and the shooting in motion on the rope to the c4 placement was great.

Feel how you want but this looked leagues better then anything out right now.

14. splashofartstudios

@ 13 “Feel how you want but this looked leagues better then anything out right now.” – For consoles :)

15. Erthazus

@13, “Feel how you want but this looked leagues better then anything out right now.”

Maybe I should show you 60 frames Battlefield 3 building explosion in 1080p or even more?

16. MadFingerz

@11You are comparing a game still in development to already released ones…nice going genious, you should be in politics, you would fit well.

btw, from what I’ve heard (could not be exactly like this) but it’s almost impossible to play Crysis 3 on max settings right now wihtout compromising performance.

17. daytripper

The environments were stunning but some of the gun models, hands etc looked a bit unimpressive

18. Erthazus

@16, Need I to remind you that Battlefield 3 is a game that was out in 2011?

this was a demo in 2013 for the Next Generation Console that will have a life cycle of 7 or 10 years.

“btw, from what I’ve heard”

I heard that you have empty wallet right now. You will believe me?

Crysis 3 on my PC will run smoothly on max in 60 frames. I can even tweak visuals even further.

19. splashofartstudios

@16 interesting you say that…as I have it, and it has yet to dip below 45 fps on my 7870…… Full maxed out….

20. powerbuoy

Graphics are stunning, but animations and physics are a disappointment to me. Gameplay looks same as always with loads of scripted events.

21. manamana

Everybody look at me! I have the greatest PC! Consoles are shit! My life belongs to my gaming rig!

22. Erthazus

Btw, the only fact that I liked about new Killzone is that with a new hardware these corridor shooters will havve more open environment. Finally.

It’s going to be interesting to see what Infinity Ward is doing with Modern Warfare 4. I just hope that all shooters will have exploration at some point.

23. MadFingerz

@19 Like I said, just what I heard, I can’t possibly play it on max settings on my pc nor can a lot of people who don’t have the means to dish out 2000 or so for a machine. That’s why consoles exist, they can pack decent enough power at a somewhat good price. And seriously, I like pretty graphics just like everyone else but it’s not the only thing I care about, not even the one I care about the most.

I really don’t see why people like you have to piss on everyone’s parade just because you have the cash to buy a machine that can handle better graphics…snobbish behaviour much?

24. DSB

@21 Pffff, what a load of balony.

Everybody knows you can’t run life with less than 8 gigatons of megaflops and a terafig of SSDGFX.

@23 Seriously though, if you’re spending more than 1000 dollars on a rig at any point in time, you’re doing it wrong.

25. splashofartstudios

@ 23 I spent less than 650 dollars for my pc….

Gigabyte 7870- $230
    Amd X6 1055t 6 core processor- $150
    Cooler Master 600 watt power supply- $40
    Samsung 64 gb ssd- $50
    250 gb harddrive- $30
    Asus Motherboard M5A78L- Mlx Plus- $40
    8 gb DDr3 Patriot Ram- $40
    Thermaltake case- $20

26. manamana

@24 first sensible comment tonight :-D

27. theevilaires

LMFAO the PC boys are scared and insecure that once again consoles get added strength to once again have the best games. PC sucks will never take it serious for gaming.

Mouse and keyboard? GTFO!

28. DSB

Are you sure TEA? You know… It only does everything ;)

29. livewired500

who can tell watching a compressed video at 720p?

Some animation flaws and issues with AI, but I would think they will be worked out by release. Killzone 3 had really good enemy AI. I have faith Guerrilla will improve on it.

I’m a big fan of the KZ series, so this might make me want a PS4 after all.

30. MadFingerz

I don’t use dollars, I use euros and I spent a bit over €1000 to buy the laptop I’m currently using. True, for the same money I could have perhaps found a shop where I could mount a desktop with way more power in it but as my parents pointed out, portability is important especially if I move to another country like I might have to in the future.

Anyway, this laptop is able to run new games but take Far Cry 3 for example; on my system it doesn’t look nearly as good as anything I’ve seen tonight at this presentation. Now, I don’t expect the PS4 to cost me over €1000, so I would say that for people in my country, with a similar lifestyle than mine, a PS4 would be a better choice as far as a gaming machine goes. And it will have other selling points like exclusives and what not.

Seriously, you guys shouldn’t be narrowminded. We don’t all live in the same country/area nor do we all have the same lifestyle.

Coming here and bragging about your high end pcs and bringing consoles down is pretty childish. Love what you have but let others love what they got as well. That is, if you are a decent human being who can actually respect others. If not, fuck off.

31. G1GAHURTZ

Lol @ the crying PC fanboys!

Amazing visuals… Not convinced about the gameplay, from that vid. Nothing really new in there so far.

32. Juice_Man101

Why do pc gamers love to try and rain on console gamers parades all the time? We don’t care how powerful your pc is because you’ll never have uncharted, smash bros, infamous,or zelda. So why would game on pc if the best games are everywhere but pc?

33. DSB

@30 Fair enough if you do need a laptop. I never did fiddle too much with those.

In Tax Hell, Scandinavia I can get a silenced gaming rig with an i5 processor and GTX 650 for a thousand dollars.

In the US I could get even more than that. Hardware really isn’t as expensive as it once was, but of course if you need monitor and speakers and mouse and everything else, it does add up.

34. splashofartstudios

@32- Juice we do have Zelda, and Smash brothers with Wii/ Gamecube Emulators.

35. Juice_Man101

@34 That’s true but what about now? I’m pretty sure that there won’t be a wii u emulator for a long time if ever and there is no compelling reason for someone to have a pc if they have a playstation or a xbox because they’re playing the same games plus exclusives

36. splashofartstudios

@35- So… Battlefield with 64 players. Or playing with any controller you want (wii controller, ps3, xbox 360…heck you can play with a webcam if you want) What about oculus rift coming out next month? Bringing virtual reality to pc games….Or mods for most games… I think mods alone are worth having a pc over a console… if not for the fact that games are WAY cheaper on PC.

37. livewired500

@34, Or we just have all the systems like myself. But Dolphin if need be.

I don’t know why console only people think that PC gamers are the only ones missing out? Consoles don’t have Planetside, FTL, Team Fortress 2, the whole RTS genre, and a whole slew of others.

@35 I’m sorry, but Crysis 1, 2, &3 can’t even compare to the PC versions. I got Crysis 2 on PS3 on release and played it on PC a little while later after an upgrade, and it is night and day. Even Assassin’s Creed plays 10 times better on the PC. So, no it isn’t like playing the same games at all. The exclusives are the only reason to have a console.

38. DSB

@36 I think it’s pretty compelling that I can do banking, e-mail, writing, reading news, watching shows, playing games or whatever else I want within the same 30 minutes on the same machine.

I don’t see exclusives as that much of an argument. It’s fine if you happen to own the console it’s on, but there’s a whole range of games you could never play with a gamepad.

Different strokes and all that.

39. lexph3re

No games original tech demo showing has adequant a.i. Typically it’s scripted to just get the initial point across without wasting time with a death on screen to loading.

I remember watching the HALO 4 tech demo wondering why the hell were they so predictable. Well it was because it was a showcase that’s all.

The gameplay on these games were hot. Now let’s just hope the final result up until the release holds up. That’s the real challenge

40. MadFingerz

@33 Well, since I do love games, I really wanted a desktop and it took a lot of convincing from my family for me to opt for a laptop. I have a poor judgement when it comes to buying things I want just for my own pleasure, so I went along with it this time :p

I can’t say I regret it, it plays BF3 well enough and I have a couple of other games that can entertain me for the foreseeable future. Obviously it breaks my heart thinking that I can’t play some games on all their glory but it’s just the same as looking at the old, decaying car I drive while dreaming of owning something I can’t possibly buy now. That’s just how life is sometimes. One day my precious, one day…

And yeah, it does add up…Doesn’t help that the desktop mounting business is sort of dying here and you can’t mount one as cheaply as desirable.

41. Dragon246

These games look better than any sub 800$ pc. Ask any dev. Consoles easily outstrip similarly priced pc, and a bit more. Fact.
    Now if really nuts, you would compare the graphics of a 10000$ pc with this.

42. Juice_Man101

@36 I don’t want anyone to think I’m against pc gaming or anything because im not, but there is a reason pc gamers are the minority. Most people don’t care about any of that.

43. splashofartstudios

@ 41… cant tell if trolling…..

44. splashofartstudios

@42- Pc gaming is the biggest community actually Juice… check steam numbers…they beat both Xbox live and Ps3 online combined.

45. Phoenixblight

Dude go away your Pc elitism is flame baiting. Are you pissed that the PC doesn’t have the titles announced or the fact that the PC gets shitty ports?

46. Dragon246

@43,
    Prove otherwise then. Sorry fella, consoles are what they are, best bang for the buck. ALWAYS. PC can never compete with that.
    Unless you are trolling…

47. DSB

It’s a bit like argueing over whether a butterknife is better than a swiss army one. It kinda depends on what you need ‘em to do, no?

48. SplatteredHouse

In summing up the PS4 reveal it was noted by Giant Bomb’s Alex Navarro: “Unlike previous Killzone games, this one appears to be in color.” :D

49. Ali

Helghast campaign or no deal…

50. CycloneFox

For graphics comparision, don’t watch the blurry compressed video. I’t extremely compressed because there is alot of movement all the time, but look at the ingame screenshots:

It’s actually rendered in 1080p and if you look at the DirectX11 Depth of fields, and other effects, you’ll soon notice, that alot of things were missing in the last generation.
    Also it is only possible to render such a huge amount of high-res textures in such a steady framerate with so much fast RAM and CPU and GPU on the same chip. It is just awesome what is possible on such a high-end PC-ish hardware in a console without an operating system in the background such as Windows for example eating up half of the RAM already.
    There is really no other game, that looks so good, yet. Even on the PC. But the PC will benefint from the PS4, of course, as there will finally be games, that need the high power.

Edit: About the “oh, it finally has color”-stuff: Play Killzone 3, and STFU! It was the best shooter this gen and still looks better than anything. It has a stealth jungle level which is extremely colorful.

51. manamana

Really, I wonder about you tech nuts. Does it matter on which platform or what engine and gimmicks this is made? http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/08/1361413239-4.jpg

It looks like that kind of stuff, I always wanted to see on my telly, holding a controller in one hand and a glas of wine in the other, so please, go and fiddle a bit more and download the actual firmware or drivers for your new turbo-graphics card and laugh about that screenshot all day, because you have seen such graphics ten years ago on your supercomputer in your basement.

This is amazing for a console game. End of story.

52. MadFingerz

Oh sweet sweet high res screens! Last night I was watching the streaming here on vg on high res and was amazed by the graphics but then it started lagging and I had to switch to the low res gametrailers stream and it was like night and day.

Anyway, it’s pointless to talk about it gameplay wise yet. This was more of a graphical showcase than anything else. Note how even the guns sounded so meh. That will surely change before release. Still, they showed new stuff like improved character movement and melee system and what looks like the use of habilities/skills on campaign (the slow motion thing and there was a counter of sorts on the left down corner).

And, like someone said, the art direction was improved too. It looks much more colourful than KZ2 without the weird brightness of KZ3. Sort of feels like playing a KZ rendered CGI for the first time. I just hope they nail the multiplayer aspect and that they can bring some elements from KZ2 again.

Oh and yeah, by all means, give us some helghast playable missions ffs

53. theevilaires

As long as this game looks noticeably better than its PS3 counterparts, runs in 1080P with 60FPS i’m fucking happy. There is no excuse why any game can’t run in 1080P with 60FPS. Its has 8GB of GDDR5 for crying out loud.

54. Beta

@53 Completely agreed. I am so ready for consoles to move out of the 720P or lower 30FPS zone.

55. Erthazus

” Its has 8GB of GDDR5 for crying out loud.”

so what? That does not say anything. Game won’t run in 60 frames because of the memory.
    It all depends on the GPU which is still in the shadows with the processor.

Ahh, we actually know that GPU will have 1.84 TFLOPS. Good bye 60 frames per second.

@manamana,
    “because you have seen such graphics ten years ago on your supercomputer in your basement.”

I have seen these graphics 8 years ago when Crysis 1 was announced.

“and download the actual firmware or drivers for your new turbo-graphics card”

you are the one who is downloading firmware updates on your current gen console right now (you can’t even use stand by), i’m not downloading anything already for a few years because all updates are automatic.

you are the one who live here in the basement with stupid online friends, pal.
    These graphics are on every current gen PC.

Have you seen this, btw? This is not a shitty scenery like in that screen, it’s where you play in HAWKEN. Moron

56. Beta

PC more powerful than consoles revelation…

Change the bloody record.