The Elder Scrolls Online first-person view wont show hands or weapons

Wednesday, 20th February 2013 16:34 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls Online game director Matt Firor has explained that while Bethesda’s MMORPG features both third and first-person modes, you won’t see your characters hands or weapons through your character’s eyes.

Speaking with Digital Spy, Firor said, “We are still working on this system, but as it stands right now, we have first and third-person support, just like in any other Elder Scrolls game. The only difference is that you don’t see your hands and weapons in first-person mode.”

In explaining the decision, Firor continued, “The main difference here is that in an online RPG, enemies can spawn in a 360 degree radius around you, especially in PvP. So third-person view mode, if you use it, will give you a far greater ability to see enemies behind you. In many situations, this will be the difference between living and not surviving a combat sequence.”

What do you make of this? Should it have first-person mode?

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. Cool P

It would be really weird imagining the attack without seeing the weapons. Causing damage by only clicking on the opponent lol

#1 1 year ago
  2. Samoan Spider

Nah, pointless if they’re going WoW as like as the screenies suggest but I’m certain I’m not alone in wanting a Skyrim like experience for this one and having weapons/arms on display in 1st person.

#2 1 year ago
  3. FrayJoker

Why would removing player’s bits from the screens convey the same advantage as a third person perspective? This just seems like a really bizarre design decision.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Bomba Luigi

Do it right, or don’t do it. When you can’t make a propper First Person View, then don’t make something pointless like this. First Person View in Elder Scrolls is always about Immersion, and that don’t work when you hit Enemies with Invisble Weapons hold by Invisble Hands. A Total Destruction of Immersion.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Bloodyghost

Ugh really disappointing, they should put it in for those who are Elder Scrolls fans who PREFER the first person. I always liked that Bethesda has had 3rd person view in the game, even if it isn’t ideal or ironed out, but I hate to think it’s the other way around with this game.

I am still waiting on my Fallout 4 though.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Eddie Rodrigues

A MMO with First Person View. On Heroes Engine? Dear Carl Sagan…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Stardog

I don’t get these MMO designer hacks. Why do they have to copy & paste from other crappy MMO’s like WoW?

Surely base Skyrim but in MMO form would be one of the best MMO’s ever. Skyrim with real people running around the world.

How could they screw this up so badly? I wish Bethesda would just cut their losses on this one and get another developer to make it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. mbloof

Sadly, this has ‘fail’ written all over it. The more they depart from providing a ‘Skyrim’ like experience with others the larger and bolder the word will be.

While the TES world is a unique property simply hacking its artwork and lore into another games mechanics does not cut it. WoW with TES graphics is still WoW – actually worse as it would take a beloved world and ruin the experience.

Next they are going to say that you have to hold a button on your mouse to navigate like other (sic) MMO games.

No Skyrim with others? No purchase.

#8 1 year ago
  9. nollie4545

I agree, this has a fail or no-buy sticker on it for me now. I won’t play a game so focused on combat and magic and so forth without a proper first person perspective. They can manage online combat face to face with ranged and hand held weapons fine in Chivalry: medieval warfare, suddenly a big box developer cannot?
    I am a big TES and Oblivion fan, and I’ll get around to Skyrim eventually, but don’t think you will have me handing over my money for TES online just because it has some elder scrolls content. Why do so many MMOs seemed so nerfed and utterly lightweight?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Sajuuk-Khar

@#2
    The game actually has more in common with guild wars 2 then WoW.

@#6
    the game doesn’t use the hero engine, it was stated ages ago that the game uses it’s own engine, that was made in-house, and that they only prototyped the game on the hero engine while they built their own engine.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Butcher8

Basically they would have to create a whole new set of animations (and models also probably) for 1st person mode, as the casting and melee animations are far more extravagant than ES usual affair, more akin to the exaggerated mmo type animations we see in wow/gw2 et al.

Put simply these wouldn’t work in 1st person, they would look ridiculous tbh. I prefer they focus their attention on getting the game out and maybe doing a true 1st person mode in a patch or expansion. Combat in the main ES series is horrible anyway, so I really hope they don’t listen to the whiners.

#11 1 year ago