Sony releases short retrospective video starring original PlayStation

Saturday, 16th February 2013 13:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has released a short retrospective video which provides a look at the original PlayStation. It chronicles the console’s launch as well as that of the DualShock Controller. We’re going to assume two more of these will be released for PS2 and PS3, respectively. Seems obvious now what next week is all about doesn’t it? Still, we won’t know for sure until then. Watch below. Thanks, CyberMarco.

1. Yoshi

OMG I remember that dino animation thing… for some reason I found it so fascinating.

#1 1 year ago
  2. CyberMarco

God, those memories… I still remember all those great games. Tomb Raider, Tekken 2, Metal Gear Solid. My bigger brother was playing FF VII and I really likes it, but didn’t know any English at that age and I was spamming the O button in every battle, until I arrived to the 1st Boss, that Scorpion-like robot. Great times! :D

#2 1 year ago
  3. SlayerGT

I killed my PS1 with a combo of marathoning sessions of FFVII and gameshark coding in Driver..and to think the day I went to buy a PS1 they were sold out and my mother asked, “Would rather just get this one for your birthday?” Pointing at an N64 :) I don’t know where my patience came from :D I think it was them trailers of Twisted Metal. I had never seen anything like it..

#3 1 year ago
  4. CPC_RedDawn

You had the choice of a PS1 or an N64 and you chose the PS1????

REALLY?…. REEEEEEEEEALLY!???

You chose 32bit over 64bit? Back in a day where bits were everything! Back in a day where Mario ruled, where Zelda was the best adventure game out there..?

Hmmmm… you made a bad decision there my friend.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SlayerGT

@4 Looking back I feel I made the perfect choice. I was at the age where I felt like the games on N64 were kind of “kiddy” looking. My buddy had both so I still got to play a lot of the best games 64 had to offer. There were just better games on PS1 imo.

#5 1 year ago
  6. fengato

^ The 64 had the true classics (some that still hold up well today) tho lord the original PS was exciting for the time. RE1, Tomb Raider, Tekken and Gran Turismo are my picks – hopefully this coming gen can rekindle a little bit of that wonder.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ejams

There is no doubt in my mind now that Sony is preparing for the PS4 on the 20th. Can’t wait.

#7 1 year ago
  8. salarta

I am going to laugh when we get all these videos only to find out that the big announcement is for an interactive toaster that talks smack until the toast is done.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xxJPRACERxx

I remember going to a video game store that imported products from Japan. I was friend with the manager so he let me play for free anytime I wanted. I played a lot of Ridge Racer, Battle Arena Toshinden and Tekken. That was a good year before the PS1 came officially to NA.

I also remember when the store started selling VHS tapes of the e3 where Nintendo presented the N64. 1st time I saw Mario 64 my jaw drop. In the end I was more a N64 guy than a PS1 guy.

Of course all this ended when I got my 1st Voodoo card.

#9 1 year ago
  10. milkywayer

Perfectly time videos. Show me the ones for the ps2 tomorrow and ps3 day after, Sony!

also, please release Tekken 7, GT6 and UC4 on launch day :D