Dead Space writer not keen on action but admires Visceral’s balancing

Monday, 11th February 2013 00:15 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dead Space writer Antony Johnston has described the more action-heavy sequels as “not really for” him, but said Visceral Games has done well to keep horror elements in the mix.

Johnston wrote the first Dead Space and plotted out much of the narrative featured in Dead Space 2 and Dead Space 3, but didn’t write the second two games.

“I’m personally a big fan of old-school survival horror, and that was one of the main reasons I wanted to work on Dead Space. So the greater emphasis on big action in the sequels means they’re not really for me,” he told NowGamer.

But Johnston admits that adding more action sequences was “a necessary evil in order to broaden the fan base”.

“It’s a very difficult balancing act to pull off. So far, I think Visceral has done an admirable job of maintaining that balance,” he said.

Visceral always wanted to go “bigger”, Johnston added, and the story he’d planned out demanded it.

“To get that story told, to round out the universe, it was inevitable the settings and environments would open out a bit, become a bit more epic in scale,” he explained.

“Otherwise you’d just have the same game on a different ship each time, and that’s pretty dull.”

Dead Space 3 is out now on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Reviews have been mixed.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. Talkar

I finished Dead Space 3 earlier, and i only experienced 1 jump scare. Nothing terrifying, horrifing or similar.
    So yeah, this game really focuses on action. As i see it, it is just Gears of War without the cover system…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Phoenixblight

As someone that has finished it on veteran. I disagree. THe game still has the tension, atmosphere that the entire series had even more so because the new resource system makes it more important to horde over just buying consumables not to mention the enemies have had their AI revamped. Dead Space 3 is by far my favorite of the series. And the guy that plays as Kain from LoK series as the antagonist just makes it that much better.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Telepathic.Geometry

Jesus, you beat it on Veteran? I tried to take on Impossible straight out of the gate, but was quickly beaten down to Normal, killing the standard slashers with a maxed out Line Gun wasn’t even happening. Two or three shots to cut legs, really slow fire rate, and three other cunts bearing down on me from different directions…

For me, Normal/Casual mode on DS 3 was WAAAAY harder than Zealot mode on DS 2.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Vice

Good game, very fun, well made, atmospheric, has it’s scares, even though not much. Definitely worthy addition to the series any way you look at it.
    Playing on hard, or w/e it’s called. Already on that icy planet and it looks neat. No complains so far.

Well ok, one. I hate it that it’s co-op focused. But I manage fine with my trusty shotgun.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Talkar

I also completed it on hard and i had no trouble at all with the resources. Every single enemy drops ammo or med packs, and you can craft a bunch of those too if you are ever even close to running low on them.
    On top of that, the scavenger bots make it almost impossible to run low on resources since they not only bring you some, but they also bring you ration seals which can be used to buy a bunch of resources.
    Maybe you would run low on recourses if you crafted new weapons all the time, but i played through the first 2 using the standard plasma gun, so i played through this one with that gun as well. You don’t need anything else.
    I’m not saying the game was bad, not by any stretch of the imagination (it captured me long enough to finish it), but it is definately not scary in any sort of way. To me it is just a over the shoulder shooter.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Hellhound30x

“Dead Space writer not keen on action but admires Visceral’s balancing”
    TRANSLATION! “DEAD SPACE WRITER NOT KEEN ON ACTION, BUT DOESN’T WANT TO BURN ANY BRIDGES, ADMIRES VISCERAL’S BALANCING ACT!”

#6 1 year ago
  7. Phoenixblight

The series has never been “scary” for me. They give you plenty of ammo,med along with a giant arsenal to fight with. It has it’s jump scare and its tension but I have never been scared. I never played this series for horror. Its James Cameron Aliens. I love the environments, the game play, AI just everything about the game you can see the amount of detail Visceral put into the game.

#7 1 year ago