PS4 could come bundled with a “Dual Camera” PlayStation Eye – rumor

Friday, 8th February 2013 22:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

PS4 could be bundled with new PlayStation Eye, which VGLeaks notes is called a “Dual Camera”.

According to information dug up by the site, it’s an “evolutionized” HD version of the EyeToy, which uses a pair of wide-angle cameras with 720p resolution. The updated camera will also sport a “4 microphone array working at 48 khz,” which will come in handy with video chat and is able to recognize the user when logging into the PS4 system.

It is also capable of tracking head and hand movements as well as game inputs. It’s unknown whether it can detect body movements, a la Kinect.

We’ll stick this under the rumor tag until Sony announces something, which seems to be company’s plan week after next.

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. Talkar

All credits to you guys.
    It is annoying to read all these rumor articles, but i bet it must be even more exhausting being the ones writing them :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. RandomTiger

Remember when consoles used to be about the games? Good times.

#2 1 year ago
  3. LuLshuck

ps4 is gunna have no games lol

#3 1 year ago
  4. Digital Bamboo

Oo, hackers are going to have fun with this one (should it prove to be true). No internet-connected cameras in my house, thanks.

#4 1 year ago
  5. TD_Monstrous69

God I’m just about sick of seeing rumors columns for the next-gen Playstation. Can’t February 20th get here any faster?

#5 1 year ago
  6. NocturnalB

You know what the rumor mill has claimed in the past year for both consoles?

1.) They would require an always on DRM
    2.) They would both come with a built in (or at least added) camera of some form
    3.) Cannot play used games

So according to the rumor mill the next gen of consoles are going to be Nazi’s in gaming form. And if it all comes to fruition… I’m chucking my current consoles and buying a bomb shelter and becoming a paranoid hermit.

#6 1 year ago
  7. stevenhiggster

@6 lol, I’m right with you there.

Like most people have said, I’m pretty much fed reading all these rumours now, so any rumour articles from now on shall not be getting my ‘click’.
    I’ll wait for the 20th of Feb.

#7 1 year ago
  8. UNazo

soooo sony is making a kinect too ?

#8 1 year ago
  9. sg1974

@4 +1

@8 Sony made a Kinect before MS did. They just failed to use it (a common Sony problem). The PS Eye can do motion tracking of multiple points. It can do voice recognition. It can do depth perception. It can recognise faces – it can even determine sex and approximate age. And it has better audio and video quality.

And this always makes me chuckle: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a4/EyeToy_Kinetic.jpg/250px-EyeToy_Kinetic.jpg

#9 1 year ago
  10. Mike W

I’m pretty sure the PS4 is going to be an amazing system like the PS3. However, the system is going to either make or break Sony…..and if don’t….Sony is going to back out of the market.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Erthazus

Yeah, PS3 was such a great system. I remember playing Red Dead Redemption.
    That shit crashed millions times all over the place with horrible sup-bar 720p image with less then 20 frames per second in town.

PS3 as a machine was a failure with PS Dildo and PS Eye camera. It’s ass was saved by previous success. Now, Ps4 will break Sony or save them.

I hope for the first, because these arrogant asses that sell memory card for 100$ for the mobile device should go away from the electronics business for good.

and so far the system specs for PS4 are not that impressive. I can’t see them showing me even tech demos that will look great.

Crysis 3 with direct X11 is on the horizon with 2560×1440 resolution with shadow bokeh, 60 FPS and other features. Try to beat that Sony. We all know that you won’t.

Owww, they can show shitty demo with rubber ducks…

#11 1 year ago
  12. Gadzooks!

Oh dear.

A bundled Kinect, for either Sony or MS, is a guaranteed fail.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Mike W

How?

It seem to work out pretty well for the 360.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Gadzooks!

#13

That depends on your point of view.

It may have been a financial success, but really it’s far too limited to be of use in anything but a very narrow range of games.

There have been some good Kinect games though. Kinect Sports, Leedmees and Wreckateer are really responsive, accurate and fun. Yourshape and Dance Central were also very good.

Apart from those titles everything else was awful, truly awful.

I have to disconnect the Kinect when not playing Kinect games, as the microphone picks up voices and can trigger unwanted actions in games with voice support (Forza Horizon GPS commands for example).

It also picks up unwanted hand movement and can be a pain when watching videos.

I’ve had my moneys worth of entertainment from mine, but mainly for party games.

It just doesn’t work in any core game, and without a combined pointing device with buttons it never can.

Bundled Move would be acceptable (I cant see MS releasing something similar sadly), but a camera-only system is doomed to failure.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Da Man

Sony also made Xbl before MS (no online).

They made an Xbox before MS (PS2).

And they made an iPhone before Apple (numerous Java phones).

Common Sony problem indeed.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Mike W

Well I can’t wait to see what they bring to the table, it’s going to be exciting. If one fails I’m pretty sure Valve can fill that void……..hopefully.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Beta

Very excited for PS4, though I’m slightly weary of all these rumours. :P

I just want some solid info on pricing and launch titles to see whether I’m buying at launch or buying when I have some excess cash :)

#17 1 year ago
  18. Bomba Luigi

I really don’t want any Camera around my TV. I do sometimes nasty Things in my Livingroom, you know.

#18 1 year ago
  19. sg1974

@15 Grown-ups are talking. Go away, troll.

#19 1 year ago
  20. lokpo

I know wats gonna be announced and it is my reproductive organism and its enormous procesing power ante pleasure capabilities aka pspenis

#20 1 year ago
  21. Da Man

#19 You need psychological help, fast.

Walkman was in fact an iPod, they just didn’t know how to use a touch screen. Sony are scientists leveraging the artistic medium in the dark days of money hungry americans.

#21 1 year ago
  22. sg1974

Eye could do multiple-point motion tracking before Kinect existed. Eye could do face recognition before Kinect existed. Eye could do depth perception before Kinect existed. Eye could do voice recognition before Kinect existed. All features could and were integrated into games.

Yes you’re right; Sony are just ripping off MS.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Da Man

#22

What does Eye have to do with it since Kinect was in development since 2005? Eyetoy couldn’t really track the Z axis, couldn’t track multiple body points and couldn’t do anything other than a few basic concepts.

Like I said, you need help. You want to think a non american corporation were the first to invent a toy, despite being their customer.

#23 1 year ago
  24. sg1974

Bless. You spend half your time trolling Sony stories, then whine like a bitch when someone challenges your views.

Eye has everything to do with it. You see, someone posted that Sony are going to make a Kinect [by releasing a new Eye] and I pointed out – correctly – that Sony had a multiple-point motion tracking, microphone arrayed, voice recognising, face recognising camera before MS, so calling it a Kinect copy is wrong and unfair.

And if you think adding a second camera to the Eye makes it a Kinect copy, then why didn’t MS’ making a camera all the aforementioned things make Kinect an Eye copy? There is nothing Kinect can do that Eye can’t. Some things it does better (better depth perception, more points tracked) and some things worse (video and audio quality, voice recognition).

As for those awful Sony engineers, they designed and built the Eye in-house. The problem was (as I highlighted) they then did virtually nothing with it. MS just bought the Kinect camera from an Israeli firm.

I’m sorry this is too complicated for you to understand. Now go back to complaining about everything Sony does.

“You want to think a non american corporation were the first to invent a toy, despite being their customer.”

I sense in this dumb comment some clues as to your stupidity. What has America got to do with this? Why would being their customer be a ‘despite’ in my actions? Does this statement make any sense to anyone?

#24 1 year ago
  25. Christopher Jack

@24, He gets his fap on everytime someone replies to him. Just don’t. He will always reply back, if no one replies then he’s more likely to only leave around half a dozen identical messages rather than 20+.

#25 1 year ago
  26. CyberMarco

@24 Don’t feed the trolls…

#26 1 year ago
  27. Da Man

Hello there, #24 sg1974,

As you can could see I didn’t really say ‘Eye’ was a Kinect copy. Thus, two of your angry paragraphs are unnecessary.. As for what that thing has to do with the topic, your statement implied Sony creating (inventing, pioneering or whatever probably popped into your mind in the middle of the night yesterday) the device before MS. The rest isn’t hard to figure out.

You don’t challenge views, you weep about a poor misunderstood company and write angry essays.

As for America, unless you’re 13 years old who owns nothing but a Playstation how else would I interpret an attitude of a person who likes to regularly write on the topics of poor Sony and trendy Apple/MS? Being a customer just means you’re dumb enough not to realize you fight for a person who makes money off your ‘passion’. Bet you believe Nokia was a tragic victim of casuals.

I really hope 1974 isn’t the year of your birth.. Like I said, you need help.

I ‘m lost as to what to say about our JerkArse over there who spends New Year in a blog comment section, regularly argues with people for dozens of inane posts at 5 a.m. in the morning yet manages to get defensive. Perhaps correcting the username spelling would be a good start.

#27 1 year ago
  28. G1GAHURTZ

Perhaps he’s been desperately defending Sony since 1974.

That and the Daily Mail…

#28 1 year ago
  29. sg1974

Speaking of arrogant, condascending tools who like to shout down any opinions that don’t concur with theirs, here’s G1GA.

I neve said you did Da Man. Someone else did. I replied and you came in to dismiss my views. Try reading.

#29 1 year ago