Star Citizen dev predicts PC to overtake consoles

Thursday, 31st January 2013 23:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Star Citizen and Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts has said the next generation of consoles won’t be as important as this one, thanks to the PC’s continuous ascent to glory.

“I think consoles will be there and they’ll do decent business but I don’t think that the next generation of consoles will be as big as the last generation,” Roberts told NowGamer in an extensive feature about Kickstarter.

“Essentially, I can build a high-end PC now that’s much more powerful than the new consoles that will be announced this year.”

Roberts said that PC pricing for consumers is always coming down, while hardware prices for console manufacturers are on the rise, so that the end cost of console or a PC of similar schematics will eventually equilibrate.

“So they’re going to be on an even footing with everyone else, whether it’s Steam Box or whatever, and then what’s the best platform?” he added.

“Is it a closed platform, which is controlled and curated like Microsoft, Apple and Sony, or is it an open platform that isn’t controlled? There are good and bad things about both sides but that’s basically the PC platform?”

Roberts also raised objections to the “walled garden” model of consoles to date and the cost of updates.

Historically, whether industry insiders are calling the death of the PC or the death of consoles depends largely on what point of the console cycle we are in, but the increasing ubiquity of PC tech in the living room, growing power of portable devices, and increasing cost of console development has brought about an unusually high number of console detractors this cycle. Valve’s Gabe Newell said he expects Apple and PC hardware manufacturers to battle it out in the end, with consoles fading into obscurity.

Thanks, GamesIndustry.

1. Erthazus

you could do that last year already.

but when these consoles will be out, they will be outdated since it’s release.

2. Sini

They should do a reality show where console peasant gets a high end pc. We get to observe the ratio of console to pc playing, and what happens after a month when the pc is taken away.

3. Fin

How about a reality show where we take all the PC master race, put them on an island and leave them there.

4. Kabby

That’s not something a self titled master race would object to, is it?

5. Arysse

Chris Roberts has always been an idiot. His ego is so desperate for attention he is just spouting off. PC elitists are even more pathetic.

6. _LarZen_

A console is a PC but it’s a closed system and not a open OS that is on other PC’s.

I don’t believe that a PC with a open OS like Windows or Linux is ever going to replace closed gaming systems like PlayStation or Xbox.

People want their consoles to be multimedia hubs where they can use services like Netflix and play games with ease. The only people that believe consoles will disappear and that PC’s with open OS is going to replace them is the core of geeks.

Don’t misunderstand me, nothing wrong with that but they do not represent the big picture. They are a little tiny fraction and they ofc want this to happen so they can do all kinds of stuff that 90% don’t care about.

Consoles or modular machines with closed OS is the future. What developer in their right mind would want to use millions to develop a game for a system that will just copy their product like crazy?

That is what open OS is, nothing more then a excuse for a playground to do all kinds of nasty stuff you isn’t supposed to be doing.

7. DSB

@6 Doom and gloom is generally a pretty bad bet. Most things die slow deaths.

But what exactly is stopping a cheap PC from adopting an interface that is every bit as functional and easy to use as a console, if not more so?

It’s really just a question of making it easier to use, and cheaper to buy. The PC is already a decade ahead when it comes to the design and delivery it offers.

8. loki

Just facepalm
    this hypocrite has not said anything new that would help PC become leading platform from crap platform. PC was powerful, open 5 and 10 years ago. And nothing changed. This idiot just advertises its shitty PC game.
    PS VG247 better be published articles about games, not PC’lovers delusional dreams

9. Samoan Spider

MS vs Sony, PC vs Consoles, PC vs Mac, ios vs Android and so on. It is a cycle that will continue because we as consumers feel a misguided loyalty to a particular piece of hardware/software. I forget the term for it now but I know in psychology it has a name.
    Its good for competition and its good for banter, but fanatical fanboi’ism is not healthy for anyone.
    Shame this guy had to stoke the fire, but I’ll forgive him because I’m properly looking forward to Star Citizen.

#9 1 year ago
  10. OwnedWhenStoned

Divide and conquer!

I’ve got a PS3 and a PC. Driving and FIFA games on the PS3, everything else on the PC.

#10 1 year ago
  11. CyberMarco

“Divide and conquer!” +1

Problem is that the “divide and conquer” solution is applied in much more critical situation, like health-care, education etc.

I find it ludicrous to say at least that some people tend to argue over a hobby. I wonder what level of “fanboism” the said people will have if they were supposed to have a more serious conversation about politics etc…

On topic.

True, but you would spend 1000$+, but with consoles in the other hand you get a decent experience of gaming with 1/3 of the money invested in a PC.

As I said before, PC goes beyond consoles. It’s like a all-in-one tool/solution.

#11 1 year ago
  12. stevenhiggster

Right, here’s my thoughts. I have been a PC gamer since… well my first PC was a 286 with a 12mb hdd! I think a lot of the current PC gamers are new to the PC this “gen” and thus have had it fairly easy. The current consoles are ancient and have given PC gamers a fairly easy time, even relatively old systems can run games better than the current consoles.
    When the new consoles come out, thanks to optimization they’re games will look as good as a half decent PC. What this will do is give devs more room for awesomeness. This will in turn make PC games even better again.
    This is where the cracks will begin to appear, as people who bought PC’s in the last couple of years will suddenly find that they can’t run anything at “1080 60fps ultra” anymore and they’ll have to start monkeying about with menus and .ini files to get games to run smoothly. This I feel is where a lot of the new PC noobs will fall off and just go back to console gaming.

Just my opinion on the matter.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Samoan Spider

@12 Agreed there, and most current PC players wont have had the deep joy of having to write a boot floppy specifically to free up some of that 640k of ram to allow a game to run. But that is the turn off right there for any new PC players. That inherent tinkering just isn’t fun for a lot of people. Consoles make things easier and more accessible and have propelled gaming from a backroom geek hobby to mainstream media.

#13 1 year ago
  14. roadkill

Wait, when did the consoles overtake the PC?

#14 1 year ago
  15. viralshag

Everyone can build a high-end PC, nothing has stopped people from doing that other than, oh wait, building it, paying for it and maintaining it…

Not everyone wants a personal project in order to play games. I don’t understand why most PC gamers don’t get that. I built my PC, it’s pretty good, I offer to build them for my friends because to me it’s a hobby, to them it’s something they a) don’t have time for and b) don’t care to do.

Consoles solve all the problems regular non-enthusiast gamers have. It’s not that hard to build a table but I’ll probably still buy one from IKEA.

#15 1 year ago
  16. sh4dow

When has that ever not been possible at least in the past 10 years or so?
    The more important question used to be: Will games be optimized enough to actually look better with that power advantage?
    And of course also: Is that bit more of visual fidelity worth five times the price?

But the answers to those questions will probably look drastically different this upcoming generation. Because buying a PC that is going to deliver the same visual fidelity as consoles probably not going to cost more. And possibly even less.
    So the price argument is done with.
    It’s now more of a question of how many multiplatform games there will be, how good the ports will be and good PC exclusives will be.

#16 1 year ago
  17. DSB

@15 But that’s exactly what that guy is talking about. Making it both accessible and competitive on price.

Whether that actually works or not remains to be seen, but if someone can make a better product and sell it for less, then I think adoption is a natural result of that.

#17 1 year ago
  18. viralshag

@17, I agree with that. I just don’t think the “end of console gaming” naturally means PC gaming will completely fill the gap. Obviously there will be some people who will want to continue gaming no matter what and so will use the option of the Steambox or whatever is to come.

#18 1 year ago