Xbox 720 simply called ‘Xbox’, ‘X-Surface’ gaming tablet inbound – rumour

Wednesday, 23rd January 2013 10:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 720 – or whatever you want to call Microsoft’s next home gaming console – is to be called ‘Xbox’, in a move that shadows Apple’s strategy in calling its tablet ‘iPad’. That’s the claim of one site, whose sources suggest that the console will work with all Microsoft ‘Xbox’ branded devices and media, including a new X-Surface gaming tablet. The device is rumoured to have been seen running Unreal Engine 3 games at 60 FPS recently.

UPDATE: Since the time of writing, VG247 since understands this story to be false and the result of a hoax. Disregard everything below.

Original Story: Now, I know what most of us are thinking. That this is just another shite rumour and yes maybe that’s true. After all this is the time of the generation where rumours fly from all directions, but we have to report on this stuff just in case it comes to pass, so please bear with us.

So, this new rumour comes from a source close to Microsoft, who has told Pocket Lint that Microsoft is ditching the rumoured ’720′ or ‘Surface’ name from its next console, and is simply going to call it ‘Xbox’ in order to create a unified gaming brand across multiple devices. This stacks up with what a Microsoft exec stated last year.

This applies to a new gaming tablet that the source has called ‘X-Surface’, a device that doesn’t run on either Windows 8 or RT, but a new OS as a standalone portable console. The tablet is said to house connectivity options that let users access media on the new Xbox’s hard drive. It will not have apps of its own, the source says, and it will not have its own Windows-style OS.

The source adds that the X-Surface has been shown internally running Unreal Engine 3 demos at a ‘solid’ 60 FPS, which will use a ‘proprietary 2.4GHz wireless protocol’ that allows it to tether to Xbox 360 controllers and ‘future control devices’.

Elsewhere, the source claims that ‘Xbox’ will house an 8-core CPU and that each core will run at 1.9GHz. The tipster also confirms rumours of an 800MHz CPU, stating, “One benchmark used internally has been a custom build Watch Dogs E3 demo which runs at 55-60fps with only five cores at 100 per cent.”

Finally, the source states that the ‘Xbox’ will house an OS that looks similar to Windows 8 in some ways, but that it is not a full version of Windows 8. Instead it will take two CPU cores to run and will manage multi-tasking and other functions. The source called it, “Very much akin to Nintendo’s offerings on 3DS and Wii U – but on a far larger scale.”

The new ‘Xbox’ controller is said to be similar to the Xbox 360 pad, with the same button layout.

That’s what Pocket Lint’s source says. Now judge for yourself if it’s true or not below.

1. FabioPal

*popcorn* :)

2. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

1) This sounds highly credible. X-Surface would be an exact continuance of Microsoft’s current strategy.

2) I want one.

3. MadFlavour

A reliable source told my friend who told me that the nextbox will have a built in tea kettle and toaster combination, and that it’ll have smell producing capabilities.

4. Samoan Spider

After liberally sprinkling salt, and a clove of cynical for good measure, I do like the sound of this. If it gives me a way to play games and still be reasonably sociable to wifey whilst she watches the usual array of crap on tv then this would work for me.

5. DrDamn

As long as that smell is toast, burning toast or electrical products being covered in boiling water. :)

6. Fin

Definitely makes sense.

800MHz GPU.

Also, I don’t quite understand the tablet – it’s a “standalone portable gaming system” but yet “will not have any apps of its own”.
    Don’t get it.

7. Maximum Payne

@6 I guess something like Nvidia Shield for streaming from xbox to tablet ?

8. fengato

If true the name certainly makes sense. 720 sounds a little too much like 720P.

9. manamana

Watch Dogs, 60FPS running on five cores? I take one, where can I pre-order?

10. Gheritt White

Probs not the only pad.

11. monkeygourmet

Called this…

Now, Make it So! :)

12. stx

1) This sounds highly credible. X-Surface would be an exact continuance of Microsoft’s downward spiral.

2) I don’t want one.

13. Erthazus

They should call it:

1) Eksbawks

2) DutyCallsBox

3) HaloBox

Good stuff, bro. X)

14. ps4some

Doesn’t sound very awesome

15. RandomTiger

Get on with it!

16. OlderGamer

Not to bring Nintendo into it, but it sounds to me like Xbox will barrow a few features from WiiU.

Again time will tell what happens. Not going to get too excited. But it sounds kind of nice. One point of concern tho…price? Will the Xsurface be packed in? How much will the combined Tablet and console cost? What level of operation/service/function will the tablet actualy have? It sounds a lot more like an attachment to Xbox then it does a stand alone device(no apps/funny OS)?

17. monkeygourmet

This was my prediction in your forum thread on next gen pricing OG:

MS:

7″ Media based Tablet with Smart Glass features. Plays XBLA games and releases before 720.

Everyone gets upset, another year of 360!!!

Idea being to get people to purchase this so MS has more monopoly over SmartGlass being on one of THEIR products rather than iPad etc…

Priced at about £150 – £200 maybe includes physical controls.

Announced in Feb 2013, releases end of the year and works with 360 aswell (although specs are similar / better, may use Tegra 4).

720 or whatever it’s called announced at E3 2013 but in showreel form, releases 2014 with Kinect 2 and compatible with Tablet controller with Smartglass.

Priced £299 – £399, runs games 1080p, 60FPS.

Im sticking too it! :)

18. tmac2011

a tablet? really microsoft its called console i dont go gaming on the move, c’mon stick with the xbox and just make it slimmer

19. reme22

Time to stop listening to rumours. http://x-surface.tumblr.com/

20. monkeygourmet

Really funny.

What a shit ‘experiement’.

Flawed isn’t even the word.

We all know most sites run on ‘clicks’, new consoles are the hot topic at the moment and any leaks are reported.

What exactly does this prove. Fake stories and hoax’s are rife through all media.

It’s kind of how the whole ‘viral’ marketting thing was created.

21. Samoan Spider

Thats a fair cop. That blog does have a point though as it is frustrating about the amount of (mis?)information going on at the moment. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of solid information to take to the toilet for a quiet moment once E3 arrives.

22. monkeygourmet

Agreed, I AM FUSTRATE! :)

23. DSB

@20 It certainly stands to expose a major weakness in the press. It’s not like this hoax was even remotely convincing considering the original e-mail.

Yet all it took was writing it on the internet to completely circumvent any sort of critical approach on behalf of a group that does use the title of journalist.

The first question when you’re dealing with a source should be “Is this verifiable or falsifiable in any way?” And if the answer to the question is no, then there’s no story, any more than there would be if it had been written in a bathroom stall.

Zero credibility should equal zero airtime. That’s obviously not so.

24. monkeygourmet

@DSB

Of course, but it’s always been like that on the interwebs.

Even whole companies ‘leak’ stuff like this, remember the iPhone 4 ‘accidently’ left in that bar before the big reveal?

Sometimes it’s hard to sort through things especially if you have to keep, up to the minute coverage.

25. DSB

@24 The thing about the iPhone 4 is that it was a very real story that satisfied all the journalistic requirements. This wasn’t.

But you’re right either way.

I guess I’m a bit on the Stuart Campbell side of things, in that I really want the games press to be something it can’t be.

There’s not enough money in it to fund proper journalism, and so the coverage of the games industry has become this sort of rigged game where there’s little risk of any real surprises, and even the most passionate journalist is at a constant disadvantage against companies with a fully funded PR department.

I still think a bit of mischief and mayhem is fine though. If a random e-mail can fool everyone, imagine what EA can get away with.

26. monkeygourmet

I think when it was only monthly magazine publications, they had to be much more careful.

Also, the journalists would have had much more time to root out the bullshit stuff.

If they were only selling one magazine a month, they couldn’t afford to have too much miss information.

Now the web is such a fast moving thing, news storeis come and go in seconds, I suppose something has to give at points.

Also, sometimes site’s do it just to attract ‘clicks’.

My girlfriend write’s for a few online game sites and has been doing so for a year or so. Some opinion piece’s and some news based stuff which she didn’t like so much.

Thing is, you quickly find certain articles generate crazy hits if there slightly ‘pre-loaded’ or a bit risky. This is why I had a few problems with Brenna’s DMC article earlier (the 500plus big hitter).

You get alot of up and coming people writting articles that are almost trolling to generate hits, also false information and here say become big business.

Kind of shitty and I hope this site doesn’t go too far this way.

My girlfriend got upset at points as she’d write a really well thought out article or opinion piece that took a lot of time to research properly and then it would generate hardly any hits or comments.

Then she could say: ‘New Nintendo console doomed’ or something and POW!!! 100 plus hits even though it was just a provocative title!

Crazy really, and very annoying if your trying to break into the ‘scene’.

anyway, thats my 2 Euro’s worth ;)

Edit : sorry, spelling was shit, was eating olives at the same time as typing! ;)

27. DSB

@26 Personally I think console rumors are a lot more pandering than anything Brenna did.

The response to DMC is just hysterical bordering on the psychotic, and I have no trouble understanding why Brenna felt like throwing up looking at that reaction.

She may have offended people, but I think it was honest. The fact that it’s unpopular or harsh doesn’t invalidate an opinion.

If anything, I think that’s the last ace in the hole that the games press has left. The industry may be able to control the information available to the public without difficulty, but the writers can still give you a piece of their mind.

(Tangent time)

I wish a lot more would. Games reviews have pretty much become a parody with AAA-investment meaning an automatic 7/10 at worst, and I don’t see how that sort of spineless appeasement is explained by tight budgets.

I mean, a methodology as blatantly flawed as Metacritics shouldn’t really be able to influence anything without challenge, if the press was really on their guard.

28. monkeygourmet

Good points all round.

I just feel the Brenna article was ‘cherry picked’ to cause reaction.

It did ‘out’ a few crazy fuckers, but then we always knew it would.

The death threat shit the devs had is unfortunatly standerd fare these days. Thats just the internet for you.

It’s like me saying im being robbed everyday because I recieve spam emails all the time trying to get my bank details.

Unfortunalty places like 4chan often choose targets too ‘attack’, sometimes for good, mostly for childish reasons (i.e. game devs).

Now i’m not for a minute saying that behaviour is right, im just saying it’s an unfortunate off shoot of the internet and global communication.

You can’t have it both ways. Brenna knew this full well before publishing that article. I don’t think for a second she is that niave.

The article didn’t however tackle a lot of the real problems people had with the game, frame rate, gameplay etc…

It was very much directed at a population that didn’t habitate VG247, it drew them in. Now that may have changed the community for better or worse based on one article. I think opinion pieces are good, but sometimes you have the responsibility to stick around after the smokes cleared and see what effect they have had to a site/magazine in the long term.

Articles like that have power even if they were intended to be ‘throw away’.

Like I mentioned before, I think Dave strikes a good balance with his opinion pieces.

I don’t trust any site for reviews now and this is one of the last sites I bother to go to, mainly because of the fairly balanced and fun community! ;)

I think games journalism is going to a different level now, and to be honest, im not that sure I like it atall.

Like anything and any industry that gets too big, corruption and attention seeking become only to familiar.

29. Da Man

MS can at least call their using plausible names, Valve on the other hand.. Half-Shit Box, oh well the demented nerds are still going to believe they play an intelligent toy despite buying games using parents’ money.

30. monkeygourmet

It’s called 720 because people see it, turn around twice and walk away from it.

31. DSB

I kinda get the sense that the VG247 staff has abandoned the comment sections in a last ditch effort to preserve their sanity.

I don’t think Brenna was out to target anyone on the site, I think she was just pissed off and wrote a piece based on that.

Had it been a remake I could see the false advertisement angle. It’s not, though.

In comparison, X-Com is my most loved videogame of all time, and while XCOM isn’t what I wanted personally, I don’t think it’s inherently bad.

It’s just a different game, by a different developer, meant to do different things, in a different time. It does a few things I don’t like, but I don’t see why I should ever consider campaigning against it.

32. Seraphemz

#30 – LOL!

33. adumicic

Unfortunately this is COMPLETELY made up. Here’s the proof http://x-surface.tumblr.com/post/41282771026/x-surface-dont-believe-everything-you-read

34. monkeygourmet

Yeah but people do that all the time now it’s just the way it is.

There were numerous stereotypes in the article that if it had been a male writer talking about female gamers it would never of got published.

Stuff like that really. I don’t really care either way, just not trying to make out it was some amazing thoughtful piece and a commentry on gaming culture.

It was just snarky attention seaking in my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thats not a bad thing, im just not going to dress it up as anything else.

Like I said, it was very one sided and focused on a huge area that was irrelevant by the time the game launched and people played it.

Then all the people with true concerns got lumped with all the crazies she was trying to lure from the get-go. Then it all just went tit’s up.

The disscussion of the game was comprimised from the off.

35. monkeygourmet

Sorry, also:

“A lot of what she wrote is what I’m quietly thinking when I watch the way some people are reacting to a game that has never called itself anything other than a reboot.”

This is kind of true but mildly dangerous way of thinking. A lot of time, these super passionate ‘fans’ can also be the only people organised or bother to make a stand against things that are hurting the games industry.

Micro transactions, gaining signatures for PC ports (Dark Souls) etc…

Grouping stereotypes together can be harmful.

36. DSB

Nah, I strongly disagree with that.

You can only be so much of a fuckwit before you lose the right to be taken seriously, and a lot of people are way past that point. Being loud and intolerable doesn’t lend credibility to anything.

That isn’t to say that the game isn’t perfectly open to criticism in general, but rotten apples do spoil the barrel.

It seems to me (and it seems to be supported by the sales data) that there are a lot of people who feel that they don’t need to play the game before they hate it, referencing things like YouTube videos as the foundation for their argument.

I mean really. Why would you take a person like that seriously?

37. Rupert2038

I’M AS MAD AS HELL AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE

38. absolutezero

39. monkeygourmet

I know what your saying. But I’d be more on your side if the finished product wasn’t actually so juvenile and pandering to such a marketing view of cool.

It’s like they created the most childish game ever, them complained when some Internet kids kicked off…

Sorry, you reap what you sow in this case.

Anyway, again, it’s all marketing guff. All publicity is good publicity etc… Etc…

If journalists had actually confronted ‘real’ issues, maybe more sensible people would have responded. Start a childish argument, get childish responses no? Seems pretty cut and dried to me.

40. DSB

@39 Yeah, right. People have been going on about this ever since they saw the game for the first time. Brenna didn’t touch anything that hadn’t already been festering for a good six months. At least.

I also fail to see how that description doesn’t go for the previous games. Melodramatic teenage antics are apparently high art if you have a Japanese last name. But then the same thing pretty much goes for pedophilia.

41. foxmulder555

Very poor vg247 more validation required on your behalf dave this article seems to the the laughing stock in the video game world today

42. Dave Cook

@41 It is impossible to validate an anonymous source. We never received the X-Surface scammer’s email either. I simply reported on what Pocket Lint said, cast my own doubt on it above, and then asked readers to decide for themselves below.

I never once stated any of this as fact.

43. Dragon246

@Dave,
    You added Rumor in headline, that was enough.

44. Dave Cook

@43 Not enough apparently.

45. foxmulder555

regardless,as an avid reader of this site I think more precautions should be taken when running these articles as your liable to this type of scruitney and ridicule as this site along with others have been named and shamed worldwide. Eurogamer a site thats had its own difficulties this year I’m sure could have ran the story but obviously judged it correctly and didnt run it which reflects poor judgment on your behalf I’m afraid

46. Dave Cook

@45 Well maybe. Live and learn I guess, but I think it has to be made clear that we didn’t receive the scammer’s email. His blog suggests that we did. We had no communication with the guy and no way of checking who he was.

So yes, poor judgement indeed. Rest assured I’ll no longer be reporting on anonymous sources again.

47. foxmulder555

well I dont know which is worse that all info was completly unverified and taken from another website without any comfirmation…..

may I make a suggestion, if indeed VG247 is ging to continue to REPORT on rumors etc in order to generate clicks or revenue etc how about putting them in a WEB RUMOR section rather than under the heading of MY NEWS stories. However I tip my hat to your response

48. Dave Cook

@47 Suggestion noted sincerely, but I have to clarify that we don’t get revenue from clicks, so that isn’t the mind-set I was in when writing the piece above. Our remit is to be a comprehensive news site that catches everything out there, and my thought process was genuinely, ‘Hmm, this sounds a bit weird, but maybe I should report on it in case it turns out to be true’.

That’s the honest truth, there was no attempt to cash-in on this piece as, well, we don’t make cash from clicks. We never have. As you say it was a daft one to report on and although I say in the piece that it is probably bogus, you’re right – it was best left alone.

Again, live and learn. I won’t be covering this kind of crap again without iron clad proof.

Thanks for reading :)

49. Samoan Spider

You covered it with the word rumour in the title, and a nod to the fact it might be complete shite in the first paragraph so you had it covered fine in my book. There are plenty of rumours that turn out to be true to I wouldn’t let this put you off doing what this site has done well for a lot of years. My 2p =)

50. viralshag

Agreed. It was quite clearly labelled as a rumour so I don’t see what the problem is. If stupid people want to take it as fact, that’s their problem.

51. Dave Cook

@49 Thanks mate, I appreciate that. It just saddens me how savage some people can be. It’d surprise them to walk a mile in our shoes to see how much a minefield game reporting can be. It isn’t easy by any measure.

All we can do when stuff like this happens is to learn from it and improve ourselves. That’s the positive light I’m taking from this anyway.

52. Telepathic.Geometry

Where’s the beef? It was labeled rumour, and Dave said pretty explicitly in the body of the text that it was probably shite. That’s plenty clear in my books…

It doesn’t help that foxmulder goes out of his way to be cuntish in the way he complains.

Dave man, you don’t need to apologise all the time. I think sometimes that you’re too nice a huy for the job. I don’t know how ya put up with shite like this to be honest…

53. Dave Cook

@52 I used to hear that constantly in my old job, “Dave, you’re too nice.” But that’s just me man, a softie at heart. I’ve seen how you can become if you grow too hard and cynical in this job, and I don’t want to be ‘that guy’. I love games and just want to write about them. It’s this naive honesty that keeps on getting me mauled by people.

I’ll never change on that front though. I love games too much.

54. Gadzooks!

Some people are taking things far too seriously.

If a simple, and fully expected, rumour like this causes so much angst then the angstee (not a real word) should find a more relaxing hobby.

It’s rumour season. This should be the fun time! Will they, won’t they, can they, can’t they… VG are just joining in the fun cos they are gamers too. They clearly label rumours as rumours so readers have no excuse.

I will consider every ranty reply as a confirmed diagnosis of sandyvagitis and prescribe a pinch of salt and a dose of chill the fuck out.

Doctor GZ in the house, y’all.

55. Dave Cook

@54 is there a cure for ‘sandyvagitis’?

56. Gadzooks!

#55

Sure there is. It’s just an imbalance in the humors (an excess of black bile).

A course of leeches and a fat bong hit will cure just about anything, and should work just fine here.

57. Dave Cook

@56 Ha! :D

58. foxmulder555

@52 as a reader its my right to complian if I feel that it warrents a complaint and I think Dave has acknowlged that in his response , however I did also give constructive criticism where I mentioned a WEB RUMOR section rather than reports like this going under the heading of NEWS… I appreciate some people like rumor,however some people dont like it clogging up reading their news section and I personaly feel the space could be used for something that warrents more coverage .A rumor as EUROGAMER does it with verified persons etc is ok , however this completly unverified taken from another website who didnt verify it is not good eneough for me or I would have thought most readers under the NEWS section of a website ,be it this one or any website. Its in no way meant to be CUNTISH its just the way i feel and express my opionon.

59. Dave Cook

@58 For the record I didn’t think you were being ‘cuntish’ personally.

I agree that this piece should have been left well alone. I’m just eager to stress that we never got the scammer’s original email. We had no contact with the guy, hence the source being impossible to verify (site’s never name their sources, never, ever) and that I did cast doubt on it in the piece.

But you’re right, perhaps the rumour label should stop being used by the press – because we all do it – as a get-out clause. What do you think?

Perhaps a new label is required, or should we just avoid unverified sources altogether, even if some of them do turn out to be true in the end?

Lets have a proper chat about this :)

60. Samoan Spider

I stand by the fact that you shouldn’t avoid or ignore rumour. Its important. As has been said its the exciting part about this time in a cycle that gets people fired up for the next round of money spending. If we’re not excited, perhaps its the wrong hobby for us.
    I think clearly marking the titles as unverified/rumour is all that needs to be done, but maybe a rumour section isn’t a bad idea for those that don’t want to see it at all. You can’t please everyone all of the time so please decide on consensus alone and please the majority.

61. foxmulder555

naive honesty that keeps on getting me mauled by people…. For the record I wasnt mauling you either ,my intention in writing in the first place was as a regular reader of VG247 I dont like it being criticsed in the media and considering the year video games has had last year from the EUROGAMER issue , I dont like seeing my favourite passtime getting ridiculed. My feeling is if it makes VG247 look stupid it makes me look stupid as a reader of the website, its a natural reaction.

I understand the need to report rumors,however I think unless personally verified it should be left alone, unverified rumors should be left for forums not professional journalists,however its not my website and thus I can only make suggestions about how I feel which may or may not be in the minority

62. Dave Cook

@61 I appreciate your reply :) It’s nice to hear from regular readers like yourself on these issues as we write this stuff for you guys in the first instance.

Yeah, the Eurogamer ordeal was pretty upsetting and frankly, terrifying at the time. But I think we became stronger as a result. Our new policy is still taking time to become adjusted to, but we’re getting there. I’m proud of it, and this site. We’re always growing, and it’s nice to see.

63. absolutezero

It seems to me to be the sites that are coming in for alot of the flack, even though a hell of alot of the sperging went on over at Twitter.

Actual Professional jurnos getting silly and excited over something that was decidedly fishy from the start. All retweeting and hash tagging and getting each other riled up.

I do kinda hate the entire environment of twitter but I can still see why people use it. Its just slightly depressing.

64. Dave Cook

@63 +1

65. Eazy-E

“if you play pussy
    you’re bound to get fucked” – The Downest Nigga I Know Eazy-Muthaphukkin-Me

66. manamana

WOW – back from the dead! From the HIV deads to be precise. He really filled up too many holes, if I may say so. And let me get this as a reminder to you: I rather f*ck you! :-D

67. DSB

But if you can’t vet an anonymous source, then it obviously isn’t a source. It’s every bit as likely to be a random guy on the internet fucking with you.

There has to be some kind of limit to just how naive you can be.

If the guy works for Microsoft, then he should be able to prove as much without giving away his identity. Ask him to photograph his ID badge with all the sensitive information blurred out, and a note saying “Elephants are pink”.

68. manamana

@Dave stay as you are, no other gamingsite has this big of a heart, fun, gaming-journalism as VG24/7. Next stop Gamasutra, there you can have all the serious news, people. A bit dry also. And often way to seriously.

69. theevilaires

^ IGN does… Beyoooooooooooond! ;)

70. OlderGamer

TG +1

Keep being Dave, Dave. All is good.

71. Mangoose

I don’t see the problem with reporting on rumors from other sites. It’s not VG247′s responsibility to verify sources of sources, they’re merely reporting that other sites have been in contact with sources they trust.

It was obviously a bad call by PocketLint, and they have the responsibility here, as everyone else merely reported on them reporting it. That attention hungry idiot who sent out the mail isn’t the real culprit here, it’s the bad judgement of the PocketLint editor. As long as you mention that it’s based on anonymous sources and probably a rumour, or even choose the angle of reporting THAT PocketLint is reporting a rumour, you’re in the clear in my book. Failing to do either of them would definitively be a problem, but other than PocketLint, I still haven’t found an article that has either branded the info as fact or failed to mention PocketLint as the source.

Second or third hand news is another story, and admittedly a bigger issue in gaming journalism, even though VG247′s role as a “news hub” is appealing to a lot of people, me included.

How many rumours are based on named sources? It’s in the nature of the concept that the sources have been verified at some point, but are unknown to the messenger. It’s not hard or even confusing to make out the difference between a “real” news story and a rumour, as almost all media go out of their way to cover their back at some point in their article.