Two more League of Legends pros banned by Riot Games

Monday, 21st January 2013 12:54 GMT By Nick Akerman

Riots Games has swung the banhammer once again. Two more pro players have been thrown from League of Legends due to repeated reports of “offensive language, verbal abuse, and negative attitude.”

The decisions follow a similar occurrence in December which saw Team Dignitas player IWillDominate handed an official kicking from the game.

Joining IWillDominate on the naughty step is Mousesports’ enVision (Ilyas Hartsema) and Against All Authority’s Linak (Damien Lorthios). As reported by PC Gamer, both players are unable to compete in this weekend’s LCS Season 3 Qualifier, alongside any league play for the next year.

enVision seems like a friendly chap. He has been reported in 29% of his total matches, six times more than the average LoL player. He also racked up 436 reports in 135 games under his JungleReject alias, having received 18 punishments and a duo of account bans before the recent ruling.

Linak’s stats aren’t as impressive, but he’s still a pest. He flaunts a 20% report rate, seven previous punishments and one account ban.

Competitive League of Legends play is notoriously ill-tempered. Back in October 2012, Riot introduced an Honor System to reward good natured gamers.

It’s great to see the company eliminating those who get a little too big for their boots. Good riddance.

1. Christopher Jack

One of my recent games I had a guy blaming me for him losing- he was 1v1 top on TT with no one from either side intervening. So because he thinks that it’s my fault he lost because I didn’t gank(I was jungling- sorry if I was more interested in my mate at bot going 1v2), he decided to do nothing the rest of the game but follow me in the jungle & take my farm. Guys who act like this make me want to quit online gaming.

It’s sad when I find more players like this than decent players. Of course this ‘tard thinks that he’s entirely in the right & demands the enemy team to report me for “being a noob”. If only I could walk up to people like this & break their nose, I reckon it’s what they need to learn & grow up.

I hate this increasingly growing idea that hiding behind a computer somehow entitles you to being a dick.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Hirmetrium

Wonder how many of these will happen before there’s some serious backlash against Riot – nuking pros whom practice in teams must surely have some detrimental effects?

I hope there isn’t, because honestly this is great activity. Football associations don’t put up with poor behaviour, and neither should video games.

#2 1 year ago
  3. mreko3230

I don’t know if these guys have never played “real” sports or what, but I’ve seen probably some on the worst “winners” in pro-gaming. Its not just in LoL.

I was amazed a couple of weeks ago while watching a competitive Call of Duty event when the team that won, jumped up, pointed, screamed, cursed and almost got into a physical altercation with the losing team. And evidently, things like this happen all the time. You don’t have to be best friends with the opposite team, but you should show some respect for your opponent.

Competitive gaming will never see true mainstream success (in the U.S. anyway) until there are sportsmanship rules that are actually enforced. Advertisers and sponsors don’t want their products associated with that kind of nonsense. Sore winners are much worse than sore losers.

#3 1 year ago
  4. GrimRita

If people are stupid, they deserve the abuse. Its that simple. Dont want the abuse? learn to play. Its not like LoL ranked is nOOb friendly and you can easily learn the basics if you play unranked matches.

Riot do need to walk with care here, because those that made LoL a huge success on the Esports front, could soon play DoTa2 or something in a flash.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Christopher Jack

@4, People make mistakes, it’s natural & when it comes to online gaming, there are various reasons for mistakes including those that aren’t the players’ fault such as lag spikes. Being a fuckhead doesn’t help the situation- just causes a strain between the team.

#5 1 year ago
  6. GrimRita

@5 of course that is different. But you can soon tell between someone who is plain stupid and a lag spike.

#6 1 year ago
  7. roadkill

Leagues of Pussies more likely. It seems like no one can have a fight in this game. Why play it if you can’t abuse the losers properly? I mean in real life you just go and beat the crap out of him. I know, it may be too much. It’s not his fault that he’s retarded and can’t play the game. But they can’t even take verbal abuse.. Geez. How weak can someone be!?

#7 1 year ago
  8. viralshag

I actually feel pretty sorry for these guys, I mean they are playing these games like ‘pros’…

Haha, not really. gutted for you bros. Shouldn’t be complete dickheads. I actually think it’s great. I’ve had the fortune of meeting some of the people I game with online through things like guild meets, Eurogamer and other events. What’s hilarious is the usually the loudest, rudest, talk the talk twats turn out to be the most measly quiet little shits going. Most normal people who game, don’t have anything to prove.

If I’m gaming with someone who happens to be shit, I’ll simply swear at my screen in frustration or huff and puff or, and here’s the crazy bit, offer advice or help. It’s more of an effort for me to get mad and type my anger out at someone…

#8 1 year ago
  9. OlderGamer

“Guys who act like this make me want to quit online gaming”

Exactly why I don’t play online games much anymore either. I play with friends or I don’t play. It is also why I don’t use my mic/headset anymore either. Why bother?

#9 1 year ago
  10. NocturnalB

I guess being a “pro” doesn’t entail acting professional, or at the very least acting like a respectful adult.. but how could i expect so much from such people.

#10 1 year ago
  11. NocturnalB

Guys that act like that are the kind of people that were raised by their computer and preferred online community because their parents preferred the electronic nanny as opposed to being actual parents… wait i’m on a gaming website..

#11 1 year ago
  12. Amanda

I think flaming is a weakness, a real man should bear his frustrations, the truth about people throwing their hate on you is that simply they had enough with themselves and they need to blame someone, or that they’re so obsessed by the game they cant afford losing, and that’s what little kids do which is quite ridiculous.

#12 8 months ago