Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since August, 2013 content plans outlined

Tuesday, 15th January 2013 14:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Guild Wars 2 has sold over3 million copies since its August, according to an update on the MMO’s website from director Colin Johanson, who also outlined the team’s 2013 plans for the title starting with expanding and leveraging the achievement system.

This year, ArenNet also plans to continue “building up community and events,” and Johanson said the team has many “ideas on how to take this to the next level,” by building a world with “truly unique storylines and event experiences that play out over extended periods of time.”

“We attempted to do this with varying degrees of success with our Halloween, Lost Shores, and Wintersday events,” he wrote. “We’ve learned an incredible amount about how to ensure big events like this are successful moving forward.

“To complement this concept of regular world events with strong stories and themes, we also need to build on and strengthen our existing open world and its persistent content. [But] before we expand our world more, we need to make sure our existing world is as strong as possible, and gives reasons for people at all levels to go back and play and explore in the entire game we have built.”

One of the ways the teams plans to go about this is by “expanding and leveraging” the achievement system, which will allow players to earn new rewards for achievements, add tokens for for said achievements to turn in for rewards. New rewards examples provided were ascended gear and infusions. Support for daily achievements will be different each day of the week, and later on, a system allowing players to complete a “subgroup of achievements” to fulfill dailies will be added.

“As we look at developing new types of rewards further into 2013, we want to develop systems that are uniquely Guild Wars 2,” Johanson continued. “Our reward systems need to be exciting, and include things you want to earn over time, but we don’t want to force our players on endless gear treadmills for new tiers of gear we add every 6 months.

“You won’t see another tier between ascended and legendary in 2013 for example. Later in 2013, we’ll begin to introduce more of these systems once we’ve finished rolling out the remaining ascended gear and infusions.”

ArenaNet is also working on adding new types of content to the game in early 2013 which will allow guilds to go on missions together, some of which may be “designed specifically” for the guild to accomplish within certain constraints or time requirements. The teams plans to expand this system along with guild rewards over time.

Other specific features such as World vs World are in the plan, as well as some polishing, the addition of paid server transfers, improvements to culling, other new features, the introduction of prestige system and advancement specifically designed for WvW.

PvP will be growing “by leaps and bounds” over the course of the year.

There’s plenty more in Johanson’s post, so read the entire update through the link.

1. viralshag

I have no idea what this game would need to do or change to get me interested again. It’s not even a bad game by a long shot but since I stopped playing, which was before the end of the first month, I’ve literally had no interest in going back to it.

I logged in after I re-installed it on my machine after a W8 upgrade, jumped around a bit and then logged. The game was just a little on the boring side for me and felt very OCDish in the way you finished a map and moved on.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

Too much grind for a WoW successor in my case. I saw a purpose for the grind in WoW because I enjoyed the endgame a lot, but the grind is so much longer in GW2, and it seems to me like it just ends in even more grind.

It’s good, but it’s not the game that rekindles the MMO for me.

#2 1 year ago
  3. OlderGamer

I feel the same way fellas. It is a great game, but doesn’t compell me to keep playing very long. The last redesign/xpac killed wow for me. At this point, if I think about MMOrpgs, I would play Rift.

But in general I have a hard time wanting to return to the nature of MMOrpgs.

#3 1 year ago
  4. roadkill

Nice! Guild Wars 2 is beyond awesome! And they keep improving it. Honestly I don’t know how can it get better than this. I have an average of 8 hours/day and I love it even more than I did when I started playing it. Thank you Anet! <3 :)

P.S. I've realized the only people who hate it are people who don't like playing games. Cry babies. Ha! Go figure. :)

#4 1 year ago
  5. Ireland Michael

The problem with Guild Wars 2, and the problem with every single MMO that has ever tried to content with World of Warcraft, is an incredibly simplistic one – the lack of proper, progressive end game content.

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

@DSB, Agreed.

@OG, I know we spoke about it briefly but Rift is playing great these days. I’m not gong to lie, they’ve nicked a few good ideas from GW2 such as crafting using items in your bank as opposed to always needing them in your bag.

And it seems like they’re not afriad to change the game to suit the population as you can have cross-faction guilds, “Mercenary” PVP where you will play either side and cross-faction raids. It might not be as busy as other MMOs but that doesn’t stop you from enjoying the content.

@IM, Agreed.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Se_7_eN

@ Ireland Michael – COMPLETELY AGREE… I find no reason to keep playing when I get nothing for it. The lack of tiered dungeons / raids really sucks.

#7 1 year ago
  8. GrimRita

@5 nail on head. The MMO genre is so stale with large publishers offering nothing new, then left scratching their heads wondering where it went wrong(SWTOR).

GW2 is an impressive game but the zerg fests for WvW, the crappy combat in pvp drove me away.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Ireland Michael

@7, 8 , I just don’t understand why they keep getting it wrong,

#9 1 year ago
  10. viralshag

@9, the question is though, I guess, is a lot of end game what people really want? I think some of the MMOs released have good content, maybe just not enough. But what IS there, doesn’t seem to keep people anyway.

I’m sure most of these MMOs populations drop rapidly before most people even get through all the content that is there. I think there is more to the problem if I’m honest but I just don’t know what it is.

GW2 did mix it up a bit and I’m sure they’re doing well, it’s just personally I don’t know anyone still playing and so far, looking at these comments at least, not many here seem to be either. I’m just not sure there is a “right way” to do an MMO these days, everyone wants something different.

#10 1 year ago
  11. DSB

I think it’s a fair question. Why haven’t we seen a bosskilling MMO? One that keeps the grind to a minimum of learning what you need to raid, and then throwing you into it?

Even WoW is a compromise there, because you have to go through 80-or-however-many levels to get to where you really want to be. I never really got how it managed to attract so many social players, with so few features really catering to them.

Although I guess catering to them is what helped to destroy raiding in the end, at least for me.

I guess you might suspect that making highly scripted content for 20-40 players is the expensive bit, whereas making a lot of grinding is really easy, and keeps people entertained for long enough to charge them a few subs.

Actually, that’s probably it, no? Making a bosskilling MMO that’s all thriller and no filler would be too expensive and too short?

#11 1 year ago
  12. viralshag

@11, I always found WoW to be the most socially inviting and fun MMO to play and those 80 levels, for a lot of people, is what I think the casuals like. It’s essentially something to do while you chat with mates and your guild while you do. Raiding is simply getting down to business.

Not to mention a large stable population for a long time with really not a lot to compare the game to over the years. It makes most other MMOs start at a disadvantage as a good majority will be WoW players always looking at the comparison.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

@12 Yeah, good point.

But then WoW did have competition from the very beginning. Anarchy Online may have been visibly and technically older, but it was a quite decent grind, and I’ve only heard good things about Dark Age of Camelot.

I guess it may just have been the right MMO at the right time, but it did take a few years to get so big it felt like the only show in town. Maybe the Warcraft artstyle was just more appealing?

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ireland Michael

When was the last time you played WoW, DSB?

#14 1 year ago
  15. DSB

@14 I think I quit in January or February after Cataclysm? I pretty much quit the “hardcore” stuff during the Naxxramas grind in Lich King. That just about killed the game for me.

Then I came back for Cataclysm, and tried to build a pally tank, but the expansion pretty much halved the need for tanks, so I was well and truly stuck.

#15 1 year ago
  16. TheWulf

I think the problem a lot of people are having comes down to levels and grind. See, Ultima Online managed to retain a lot of people despite a lack of content. This is because whether you’d win or lose a fight wasn’t determined by numbers, so even UO newbies would have something to contribute if they joined in on a dungeon raid.

It’s also the ultimate truth that Ultima VII presents us with. I know that’s not an MMO itself, but it shares a lot in common with UO. There are absolutely no levels in Ultima VII, but it didn’t suffer as a game vs. the likes of Baldur’s Gate. to the contrary, I’d actually say it was better. The problem with levels is that levels dictate whether you can do X thing or fight Y thing. Why is that important? It’s important because it also dictates when you should do X thing or fight Y thing.

The ‘when’ is a problem because it makes content redundant. This is an issue GW2 has, this is an issue WAR had, this is an issue that WoW and LOTRO had. This isn’t an issue relegated to any particular MMO. Basically, whereas the WoW players would end up stuck in the 60 raids at launch, grinding them over and over, GW2 players are stuck in the fractals.

This is because the fractals are their ‘when.’ The fractals are the content relegated to that level. But what happens if you remove the level and you get the same rewards from fighting the Shatterer as you do from doing fractals? That means that a completely new player to the game could try the fractals, but an old veteran could be wandering the world and doing other content.

But people are so completely obsessed with levels, they fetishise them so much, that they don’t realise how much of a curse they are. There’s a reason that Ultima Online was so popular and so fun for so long with such a tiny amount of content available. And that was due to the lack of levels. To be completely honest, I’d even say that Free Realms, with its ability to teleport anywhere for free, and its system of jobs, has a lot to teach the grown-up MMOs about how to do things.

I still like Guild Wars 2, but I can definitely see how levels are a hindrance. And to be honest, that’s what I’m seeing here as well. And the end result is that people think they need more endgame content because they’re fed up of the level-when part they’re stuck at now. So they think they need new content so they can be somewhere else. If there was no level-when, then they wouldn’t be stuck in place.

#16 1 year ago