Walking Dead: Survival Instinct Wii U release confirmed

Thursday, 10th January 2013 12:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, the controversial FPS adaptation of the popular TV series – rather than the comic – has been confirmed for a Wii U release by Activision.

The game will launch on March 29 on Wii U, PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. The game’s producer Glenn Gamble told Digital Spy of the Wii U build, “We didn’t want to change the game, because the game had already been established, so we tried to say, ‘What can we augment with the Wii U version?’

“That’s where it’s basically a more elegant inventory management system. With the Wii U you have access to your backpack at all times, so you can tap what weapons you want, you can drop stuff. It’s a lot more streamlined.”

Activision recently debunked some alleged early gameplay footage of the title as false. It’s just as well, because the footage got a lot of people angry.

What do you think of the game’s concept? Let us know below.

Thanks CVG.

1. pleasant_cabbage

Whooo hooo!!
    An inventory on the pad’s screen! Whowouldathunkit!?
    I’m sure that will add tremendously to the game experience and once again shows how innovative people are with new controllers!

*takeths tongue out of cheek*

2. mobiugearskin

The last time that Terminal Reality were given a license to play with, we got the Ghostbusters videogame. Which was actually a lot of fun!

3. polygem

see. abasoluteley NO third party support for wiiu ;)

great stuff.

4. OlderGamer

Good deal I am sitting on a 50usd eshop card from xmass with very little of interest to purchase, I already own Nano and the retail games I want. Looking forward to this.

5. killersense

lmao whatever floats your boat polygem. of the dozen big games i listed for the first half of the year you are gonna throw this crap as a defense for third party support? i am even going to make a prediction here and that is this game is gonna be critically panned but you two will come by and say you had tons of fun.

i am not a nintendo hater no matter how you guys wanna twist my words. i am just basing this on stuff that we see being reported left and right about how there is no wii u version planned for any big games and that it doesn’t bode well for them in the future. these games were in development for quite a while so nintendo could have easily courted them to make a wii u version? i mean come on if they managed to get cod which is on a shorter development cycle then why not any of these other titles which had probably more development times. they got some good 3rd party initially for the wii but that was because it took off in sales with the casual crowd . i just don’t see it happening this time around but I would not count nintendo out because they have proven people wrong on many occasions so lets hope things pick up for them.

6. SplatteredHouse

“i am even going to make a prediction here and that is this game is gonna be critically panned but you two will come by and say you had tons of fun. ”

Because, backed with sufficient depth/opinion to indicate they may well have done, that would be a completely unacceptable, outlandish view to put forward. Since, they must have made a mistake in having an experience playing that differed to critical opinion. Clearly, despite you never having sat in front of the game with pad in hand, probably never having seen it in play, you’re fully qualified to call “write off” before this car’s even been prepped to leave the dealership. Quit trying to stifle discussion before the game’s even had its say.

7. OlderGamer

SplatteredHouse +1

Killer, everyone enjoys different things. How boring it would be if we didn’t.

8. killersense

@splatteredhouse they very well could have fun and there are a lot of games out there where critics panned it and the people that played enjoyed it just like in movies. I made that silly prediction because of the way they go about defending their console blindly and refusing to face reality. they defend the console even when others are just making observations based on news coming out.
    i want an opinion from you. do you honestly think wii u is getting good third party support at the moment? do u see third parties coming out and saying we are going to bring our big games to that console in the future? i say this and they both twist my words that i am attacking their consoles and calling it doomed prematurely? I really really hope things pick up for nintendo. competition is always good but from what I have seen and heard they are going to be left back with just nintendo loyalists enjoying it. I will buy the wii u if and when the wii u zelda tech demo becomes a reality or something mind blowing comes out but on the whole i see this going the gamecube way.

9. Francis O

Wii U is getting Aliens Colonial Marines and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. All the 3rd party support I need. I can buy the other games on the other systems.

10. Francis O

On topic though, its cool Activision is bring this to Wii U, we’ll see how the it pans out.

11. Dragon246

Ninty consoles were never for 3rd party games, its the 1st party. Either you love zelda, mario etc. and own one of their systems or you don’t. Last time they had casual crowd which gave them the sales (the type of sales ninty home consoles never got). No one knows what will float wiiu sales after the initial ninty fan rush.
    That said, this time I really think lack of 3rd party support will bite them, but we will see. Its very early to say anything.
    On the game, gameplay wise the idea isn’t bad, but the graphics are plain awful. That needs work ASAP.

12. deathm00n

@9 But that is your opinion and you own another systems. Not entering here to make a war, but what killersense is saying is true, we got some titles here and there that are big, but it’s not even a third of the games the other platforms are getting.

13. SplatteredHouse

@8: My opinion on the WiiU is that I don’t have much opinion on it. To it’s third party support, I haven’t seen much movement towards it, and I’m not expecting to. There may be new machines this year, and Nintendo leaves its friends to starve.

It’s just another Nintendo console. Some improvements maybe, but a lot of the other issues synonymous with Nintendo were not addressed- region -After all else, it’s a games console. That’s a game designed to be used with the console that I want to play. So to Nintendo I ask…Why can’t we all get along?
    I don’t want a “Nintendobox” since I already have a 3DS and the releases for that are plenty more interesting, currently. I don’t want another (I already have a Wacom beneath my desk!) tablet, and the integration of the two screen concept I’ve seen was jarring and clumsy in game.
    Outside of the limited appeal of first-party from them, I can play most other games elsewhere easier, possibly also cheaper.

14. OlderGamer

I just wanted to say that as a multi console owner, I do not want WiiU to be another PS360. I own both of those already. I enjoy the MiiVerse(alot more then I would have thought), I enjoy the gamepad, I enjoy the quirky stuff like Funky Barn and Tank tank tank, and I am looking forward to the 1st party stuff. That is enough for me to get my monies worth.

When asked several times this season what system should friends buy I recomended PS3 in each instance. The cheaper price, the large libary, PSN+, no online fees, it just makes sense. But for me it isn’t a choice of what one system to own.

I have them all. Do i like Nintendo, WiiU? Hell yes, it is grossly under rated by gamers affriad that liking Nintendo will turn them into childern or maybe they just haven’t figured out that liking one system doesn’t mean you can’t also like other systems.

I don’t need WiiU to dominate sales like Wii did in order for me to enjoy it. I just enjoy it. In my mind no “war” needed.

That being said I haven’t turned on a console for gaming in days. Been playing Steam.

15. polygem

@killersense: we had the same discussion just yesterday…my opinion hasn’t changed since then so i copypaste what i’ve said…
    edit: why am i ”refusing to face reality”?
    who’s twisting your words?
    you are also saying ”their” console. i have a ps3 and 360…don’t try to paint me as a platform fanboy please.
    so here’s one of yesterdays posts:

“wiiu had a great list of third party games at launch. it misses out some games that have been in dev for ps360 for a while. Wiiu is a brandnew console. it just launched. i think we’ll see some ports to happen later. future third party support is only written in the stars. at least for us – for now. it is speculation. it even has third party exclusives like rayman, zombiu…i for one played cod, darksiders, batman, sonic racing, tekken on it. don’t know why future releases shouldn’t come to the wiiu. the graphical improvement of the next gen cnsoles making ports for wiiu impossible? i don’t think so but again, atm= speculation.”