RIP: PlayStation 2 manufacture ceases worldwide

Sunday, 6th January 2013 21:54 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony has ceased global manufacture of PlayStation 2, the best-selling console of all time.

Following on from word of the console’s production ceasing in Japan last week, The Guardian reports Sony confirmed that the news applies to all territories.

The PlayStation 2, while difficult to develop for, is frequently listed among the best consoles of all time due to its immense popularity and influence. Although its generation also spawned the original Xbox, debuting a new console lineage where nobody expected it, the PS2 clearly ruled the 2000′s.

In fact, with over 150 million sales worldwide, the PS2 is the most popular console ever, beating out rivals like the DS by a wide margin. The PS2 has a library of over 10,000 games, and although more recent figures are hazy, in early 2011 it has passed 1.5 billion software sales.

The PS2 may be partially responsible for popularising DVDs, and even took a step towards online gaming with a network adapter which proved reasonably popular among European and Japanese Final Fantasy 11 players.

With production at an end, retailers will soon be unable to re-order PS2 stock – so if you’ve been thinking of picking up a new one, now’s the time to do it.

Sony is expected to debut its newest console, the fourth of the core PlayStation line, this year. It is codenamed Orbis, apparently.

Thanks, Johnny.

1. Christopher Jack

I wonder if the Wii will best it’s sales. Nintendo surely has the potential but if the past’s anything to go by, they’ll cease the production of the Wii very soon- wasn’t the Gamecube discontinued a couple months after the launch of the Wii? I do think that the Wii has a little more life in it, let’s see if Ninty can do it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. KAP

I’d just like to say that the PS2 is my best console I’ve ever owned. I still remember first putting in my first disc inside which was Mission Impossible 2 film, and was amazed at how sharp the image was “this can never look any sharper” I uttered to my little brother lol

PS2 games even to this day still blows my mind, I had so much fun, even up to a year after PS3 was out.

I refused to buy a PS3 until while I still had GTA:SA, GOW2, SOTC, ICO & OKAMI still to play through, It wasn’t until I saw GTA4 that I bought a PS3 and haven’t looked back since.

12 years of pure fun. RIP Playstation 2

#2 1 year ago
  3. sg1974

@1 Only another 55 million to go.

#3 1 year ago
  4. SlayerGT

I remember when I got mine on launch day. PS2 and drivers license in one day. I was flying :)

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dragon246

I am just saying, but I don’t believe it yet. This is really weird, as no other site has confirmed this yet, and guardian seems the only source for it yet. Its still selling in some countries, with millions still selling in the last year.
    A news like this at least deserves an official media statement.
    Still, RIP PS2, you had given some of the best gaming experiences to me.
    *Salutes*