EA tops UK’s best-selling games publisher of 2012 list

Friday, 4th January 2013 10:38 GMT By Dave Cook

EA was the best-selling physical games publisher in the UK throughout 2012, a new report from scorekeepers GfK Chart-Track has revealed.

The report focused purely on physical boxed sales across 2012, and placed the top ten publishers as follows:

1. EA
2. Activision
3. Ubisoft
4. Nintendo
5. Microsoft
6. Sega
7. Warner Bros
8. Take-Two
9. THQ
10. Square Enix

EA’s success primarily came from FIFA 13 which sold 4.3 million units worldwide by October 2012 and held the top spot in the UK charts for many consecutive weeks.

Activision’s second place comes courtesy of the constant chart success of Skylanders: Giants and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, which amassed $500 million in its first 24 hours on sale.

Do any of these placements surprise you? Let us know below.

Thanks MCV.

1. a7md1990

The absence of Sony is hurting my eyes.

2. Clupula

@1 – What did Sony put out in 2012, though? Twisted Metal? Starhawk? Playstation All Stars? A bunch of collections? A Ratchet & Clank title? None of those really set the world on fire.

No new Uncharted, no new Gran Turismo, no new God of War, no new hyped IP like Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls.

It’s not surprising at all that their software didn’t make the top ten this year. Now, if it doesn’t make it next year, that’s a different story.

3. Da Man

Indeed, #1. Sony didn’t really churn any heavily advertised mediocrity this year..

4. roadkill

EA ownd Acti in UK. This was expected since Brits are quite a lot smarter and honorable than Americans.

5. Clupula

@4 – As an American, I wish I could argue with you, but then I look at the South and realize I can’t.

6. roadkill

@5 For the record, I was trolling a bit. I have nothing against you personally. :)