Molyneux: Kickstarter slowed by assumptions of personal wealth

Tuesday, 18th December 2012 02:00 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Project Godus is a long way from its Kickstarter target with only a few days on the clock, which 22 Cans founder Peter Molyneux believes may be partially caused by the belief that he is rich enough to fund the game himself.

“I am not by any measure a hugely wealthy individual,” Molyneux told Kotaku, elaborating on comments of a similar nature made to VG247 last month.

“I think the confusion is that for every game I’ve done, I have received vast, huge riches of royalties from. In fact, most of the royalties from my games have gone into continuing to fund the company,” he explained.

Molyneux said he’s always tried to spread ownership of a company’s stock around its employees; he owned “way, way less than 50%” of his last start-up, Lionhead, for example.

“I certainly don’t have enough money to fund 22 Cans for all time. I’ve used a lot of my money to fund the company in March of this year, and to recruit probably the best team that I’ve ever worked with and to release Curiosity but like all resources they’re finite,” he added

“I think the assumption that I’m richer than Mark Zuckerberg and that we both own Europe has hurt our Kickstarter campaign. A lot of people think that people like myself shouldn’t enter into Kickstarter, that it’s only for struggling developers.”

Project Godus has just three days remaining to raise almost £100,000 of its £450,000 target. The finished game is expected on Android, iOS, Mac and PC in late 2013. Visit the Kickstarter page for more information.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

All the things that he says on here in no way refute the notion that he is wealthy enough to fund this kickstarter. He’s speaking like a politician here and suggesting that he isn’t wealthy enough without outright saying it.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that he should have to pay, but I think that if he can’t persuade a proper investment type to put down the money, then the average punter shouldn’t have to foot the bill for what will certainly be the usual bait-and-switch for which he is famous.

2. adumicic

For me personally, his wealth has nothing to do with funding his Kickstarter. I won’t fund it as I have absolutely no faith in him any more. Too much spin, too many times.

3. viralshag

There’s always something else at fault when it comes to PM and his games if they’re not as well received or doing well. Maybe, like #2 said, people don’t have any faith or simply don’t care.

He is in such a lucky position as a dev, especially as a dev on Kickstarter. VG news will almost ALWAYS pick up what he says and he will get so much time to plug and promote his projects.

I’m curious to know if this game would have hit the target if PM wasn’t the front man for it.

4. OwnedWhenStoned

This is my feeling exactly. Since Black & White he has promised but never delivered.

( although I would like to see B&W done as a reboot. Systems could handle it way better now)

5. Stardog

I just don’t get the gameplay design. You sculpt the land for a bit, and your followers just auto-build all over the place? I’m sure you can help them by throwing fireballs, etc, but it just seems to passive.

It reminds me of Sid Meier’s post-2001 games where they’re just too simple, casual and uninteresting.

This is coming from someone whose favourite games are city-builders (Caesar (all), Children of the Nile, Sim City, Civ, etc).

Maybe my mum would enjoy Godus.

6. silkvg247

@5 You never played populous then? tsk tsk

7. The_Red

As a fan of Populous, I think this vid doesn’t really do it justice. Also, I wish they had shown some elements similar to the last one (Ironically called the Populous: The Beginning).

8. DSB

@7 I agree, The Beginning is really a lost gem. I think it got a bad rap for not being a Molyneux game.

In my opinion it’s one of the last great Bullfrog games.