Tomb Raider survival video explains ‘smart, resourceful Lara’

Monday, 17th December 2012 17:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics has launched a series of dev diary videos that cover core elements of the game. The first is a look at how smart and resourceful Lara can be, and how her skills tie back into gameplay. See her braving the jungle below.

1. Erthazus

Exploration stuff and Roleplaying system are amazing, my only question is: this is open world or linear experience?

E3 videos and other stuff were close to Uncharted in terms of linearity.

2. Sadismek

Wow, Lara has Eagle Vision now?

3. ps3fanboy

yeah come on and post more of these fucking videos… i dont have to play the game after seeing them…. it will save me the money for other games.

4. anik_lc

Screw GTA V, this is the Game of the year 2013.

5. Maximum Payne

@1 Its more like Batman Arkham Asylum.
    Linear but still freedom in some degree.

6. Jet Black

Who is this “Laura” Croft the video commentator speaks of?

7. psxman

I still think Lara’s shivering animation looks ridiculous.
    It’s akin to a malfunctioning anamatronic.

8. theevilaires

This game is going to try so much and fall short I bet you. The hunting animals part will probably happen twice in the game and not even be taken as serious like Snake Eater. They’re trying to be different from Uncharted and I get that but still even so The Last of Us will still end up beating this game for GOTY 13 I bet. Good luck to the devs I hope they put their blood sweat and tears into this game because the franchise needs a major reboot that will kick ass to get me to buy anymore of these games.

I hope this game is as good as Batman AA was in 2009.

9. Stardog

In before paid for auto-commenter bots…oh…wait…too late.

This game does not look very interesting.

10. Brenna Hillier

@6 lots of Americans pronounce Lara that way; I think it’ really hard to say in some regional accents. The guys from Crystal Dynamics whom I’ve spoken with have all been careful to say it the English way, which is nice.

11. Hcw87

Looks like it borrows heavily from AC3 for example, which is a good thing. Looks great to me.

On the subject of GotY though, nothing will come close to beating GTA V, not even The Last of Us.

12. Abdo shniba

@11 it has been in development for 3+ years and got announced long before AC3 even showed up, so I don’t think it borrowed something from it, just having similar features maybe, which all games do theses days :).

13. manamana

^ … and borrows therefore from the Uncharted series … I second what TEA says, it tries hard to be up there with the best, will tick each boxes of ‘must have’ in-game gimmicks and yet I have a hard time to see a real masterpiece upcomming …

Nonetheless, a new Croft game is always welcome. Just probably wont be a day uno purchase.

14. anik_lc

^ Uncharted = Copy-paste from Tomb Raider & Indiana Jones.

15. Da Man

I certainly hope the hunting part isn’t as shallow, annoying and unnecessary as it was in Snake Eater..