Bioshock Infinite box art targeted at frat guys

Sunday, 9th December 2012 22:14 GMT By Naren Hooson

Creative director for Bioshock Infinite, Ken Levine, has said in an interview with Wired that the box art for the game is targeted at those who don’t know about the game.

In the interview, courtesy of GameInformer, Levine goes on to say that the cover artwork is to entice the people who don’t know about the game to pick it up. “I wanted the uninformed, the person who doesn’t read IGN… to pick up the box and say, okay, this looks kind of cool, let me turn it over. Oh, a flying city. Look at this girl, Elizabeth on the back. Look at that creature. And start to read about it, start to think about it.”

He also compares some videogames to salad dressing, in that not everyone reads up about new game releases as they wouldn’t research new salad dressings coming out.

Levine does add that there will be alternate covers available. “The thing we’re sure about is that we’re going to be releasing a whole set of alternate covers that you can download and print. We’re going to be working with the community to see what they’re interested in.”

Bioshock Infinite is out on March 26 and you can check out the trailer here.

1. Hunam

Download and print? Because that will look at good as the custom cut and printed art that comes with the game.

2. roadkill

He does have a point. Besides, most of us don’t care about the cover since we’ll buy the digital edition.

3. Naren Hooson

Yeah, I know right. Who would want to print a cover themselves?

4. Erthazus

Or for a console gamer/Call Of Duty gamer.

5. monkeygourmet

YOU are a console / COD gamer, lol! :D

PS3 / Vita + BLOPS 1 million hours logged

6. Strange Sultan

What kind of excuse is that ? is it the same excuse used by those who put naked women at everything? Why do we have to suffer for those frat boys ?

and LOL at printing your own cover XD

7. Erthazus

@5, Never played and never will play Vita version of CoD and i’m not playing CoD since MW3.

“BLOPS 1 million hours logged”

I would die from that. :D

8. monkeygourmet

Make sure you have some extra printer ink ready then! :D

I would be more worried about the gameplay though, looks more ‘frat boy’ than the covers to me! ;)

9. Hunam

The whole marketing message for this game is as badly directed as the marketing for the first Dragon Age. Which is obviously a cautionary tale as they then went and made DA2 more like the marketing that we all hated for the original.

10. monkeygourmet

I love the fact certain games like Tomb Raider are trying to move away from the frat boy stuff, but the marketing teams are pushing for it even more…

I mean, just embrace it like Japanese Devs, make it funny at least.

The more you try and hide it behind some bullshit moralistic integrity, the worse it becomes.

Just put some tits and arse on the cover and be done with it.

If your using tits and arse, at least have the balls to admit it.

11. OnionPowder

@8 The gameplay seemed pretty reminiscent of classic FPS shooter gameplay to me. More open ended than standard COD battles.

12. Telepathic.Geometry

I don’t see why they couldn’t just have a cover on both sides. I love my Dishonored, Skyrim, Borderlands 2 alternate covers. I wish they’d do that…

13. monkeygourmet

Yeah, sorry that is true.

It just looks like Bioshock though.

No bad thing, maybe just a symptom of the long dev cycle.

Eurogamer had a hands on that talked about it. I enjoyed Bioshock 2 though, I preferred it over 1, gameplay wise.

In that way I’m sure this will be fun, just wish they could have released it when they said they would. This extra 6 month wait has enabled other games to come out and make this look less ‘special’.

14. KAP

Guys get over it, it’s a focus test for the franchise, that’s all.
    Mr Levine hasn’t changed his focus on the game or world just making it appeal to more people to buy, if all the people that have time to comment on this type of news online all bought bioshock infinite it wouldn’t be a sure fire hit, that has been proven before. So they have to broaden the appeal which like he said “the cover is a small fuckin price to pay”. Regardless if you don’t like this cover, your still gonna buy this game anyway.

Don’t kid yourself’ you know you will…

15. monkeygourmet

Oh,I’ll buy alright…

I just hope I can see why it’s 6 – 8 months late…