Dark Souls 2 announced for PC, PS3, Xbox 360

Saturday, 8th December 2012 02:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Dark Souls 2 was announced during the 2012 VGAs via a smashing debut trailer.

It’s in the works from series creator Hidetaka Miyazaki who will supervise the development, and it will be directed by From Software’s Tomohiro Shibuya.

The game stars a new protagonist in an all new storyline, and the multiplayer has been “revamped” with a Dark Souls twist to the server-based mode.

Shibuya said in the press release that the game will be “fresh while not forsaking its roots.”

Namco Bandai has said the game will release on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

More details surrounding Dark Souls 2 will become available in the months leading to its release, and you can view the teaser site for it here.

A release date was not provided, but the game will be featured in the next issue of EDGE.

Dark Souls 2 – VGA 2012 Trailer by play3-live

1. Stephany Nunneley

Best trailer of the night after South Park.

#1 1 year ago
  2. CycloneFox

edit: second ._. ! extremely awesome News. dark souls rocks and this look awesome. please let it be ingame. ^^

#2 1 year ago
  3. Mike W

Damn was that for the PS4 and Xbox 720?!?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Ristas

Only Dark Souls 2 kills the main character off in it’s announcement trailer…twice.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Telepathic.Geometry

Fucking A!!! I just did a big geschpunken in my pants!!!

#5 1 year ago
  6. NeoSquall

PRAISE THE SUN!

Also video removed :V

#6 1 year ago
  7. Talkar

This is going to be so cool! I hope they earned enough by porting DS to PC to justify a release on PC for this ^^

#7 1 year ago
  8. Stephany Nunneley

@6 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! People need to watch it!!!! I will find it again.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Stephany Nunneley

Everywhere I look on YT, it’s been pulled.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Stephany Nunneley

OK a new one is in.

#10 1 year ago
  11. TMRNetShark

@4 LOL

Well, seeing as how you constantly fucking die in Demon Souls and Dark Souls… it would only be fitting. I mean, I thought Ninja Gaiden was bad, psssshhh… Dark Souls was just cruel (but amazingly fun, in a masochist sorta way).

#11 1 year ago
  12. Erthazus

Trailer is just fantastic

#12 1 year ago
  13. Talkar

Another link to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2wKtHtRet0

#13 1 year ago
  14. MadFlavour

Hopefully I will have dispatched Smough and Ornstein by the time it comes out.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Telepathic.Geometry

They don’t seem to be so quick to pull shit down off dailymotion for some reason. Enjoy.

#15 1 year ago
  16. OlderGamer

Would have thought next gen release, not more xb360 and ps3.

#16 1 year ago
  17. The_Red

Ok, this one was worth it. Didn’t watch the VGAs but this reveal alone gives me hope.

#17 1 year ago
  18. tgchan

one of the best games I have ever played! and I have played a few during the last 22 years >:D

#18 1 year ago
  19. DreamCleaver

That’s great news! :D

But still no word on patching DS1 on PC? These past 3 months Namco Bandai have acted nonchalantly towards the PC version, like it never existed, and suddenly they announce a sequel with no regards as to patching the current one. I mean, the port is excruciatingly bad and only with the help of 3rd party mods the game looks good. So I’m not having high hopes for the sequel’s PC version. Or any for that matter.

But still, great news.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Mineral4r7s

@19 well yeah. Thats how it is. For some reason I don’t really care as it is pretty easy for everyone to fix the problems with Dark Souls 1. Its part of the hardcore adventure. YOU WANNA PLAY THIS MOTHER EFFIN HARD GAME? FINE FIX IT FIRST !

#20 1 year ago
  21. Wychodzew

Official website: http://www.darksoulsii.com/
    I don’t know what to make of this pendulum.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Stephany Nunneley

@15 Thanks. Video is in there now.

#22 1 year ago
  23. ps3fanboy

ooohh!… a new dark/demon soul game… since its coming on THIS gen and not nextgen consoles… EXPECT MORE FRAMERATE DROPPING, TEXTURE POPPING,SCREEN TEARING, SCREEN FOG/BLURRYNESS ETC… AND YOU PC GUYS ARE IN FOR A REAL TREAT YOU GET THE FULL 720P HD RESOLUTION CONSOLE PORT!!

#23 1 year ago
  24. DreamCleaver

@20: If the sequel’s port is as bad, I won’t be buying it. I’m not willing to support that kind of behavior.

#24 1 year ago
  25. YoungZer0

God damn it. Knowing the finished game will look nothing like this breaks my heart.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Telepathic.Geometry

Listen to all of this belly-aching about the technical issues. Fuck off, the games are something special, so I’m not about to get all snooty whining about the frame-rate in Blight-town or some shit like that, because nobody else can make this shit at ALL. /rant over

#26 1 year ago
  27. ps3fanboy

when technical issues is the cause of your death in the game, and not the game or your bad skills.. i will be here waiting for you, to hear your snooty whining about this special game of yours.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Telepathic.Geometry

Very good sir. /bows

#28 1 year ago
  29. monkeygourmet

Fucking bring it! :)

I can see this generation lasting at least another year guys lol!

Maybe some sad people after E3 this year expecting new consoles…

#29 1 year ago
  30. Gadzooks!

Awesome. Sauce.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Clupula

I love how everyone seem to want games to be announced for systems that haven’t been announced yet.

#31 1 year ago
  32. manamana

One of the best IPs this gen. Great stuff!

#32 1 year ago
  33. mehdidante

yes yes . still enjoying it on pc . awesome game .

#33 1 year ago
  34. NeoSquall

“Namco Bandai has said the game will release on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360. ”

#34 1 year ago
  35. CPC_RedDawn

So what happened to Demon Souls? I thought Dark Souls was a sequel to that?

Sorry but I just don’t see this games appeal. A lot of people just say they like this game because of its difficulty and those are the people who have never completed it. I have played Dark Souls 1 on PC and whilst it was a buggy crappy port it had nothing interesting to offer. The story was boring, the game play adequate at best. Dragons Dogma was a million times better and even that had many flaws.

Sorry guys I would take a Zelda or Dragons Dogma any day of the week over this. And dont even say this is nothing like Zelda! Even the devs themselves said they wanted to make a Zelda game with a more mature look and feel.

#35 1 year ago
  36. monkeygourmet

It’s because of the isolation:

#36 1 year ago
  37. Telepathic.Geometry

@35: I personally don’t give a shit about the punishing – and at times, sadistic – level of difficulty. I think that what makes this game special for me is:

1) The element of wonder and surprise; Nothing is sign-posted or explained to you. I feel giddy the first time I play one of these games, because I don’t know anything, at all.

They don’t say “This is the beginner stage, you are in the right area!” You go where you want, for good or ill. It is sometimes not a bad idea to run for your life through an area that’s way too tough for you just to get your hands on some sweet loot. Or find a shortcut to an otherwise inaccessible area.

And even if you’re in the right place, every two minutes some surprising shit, or new enemy, or mysterious castle ruin or suspiciously lonely room is there to give you that surprise as jaded gamers we so rarely get these days.

2) I love the atmosphere.

3) I love the connected world.

4) Online play is not something I’m generally into but, this game taught me how awesome online gaming can be. :)

I would actually argue strongly that Demon’s Souls is the better game in many ways. It had much better NPCs, although ya gotta love Solaire. But look, I didn’t like FF XII even though I love RPGs, so maybe it just didn’t click with you. I think it’s a shame, but it’s easy to see how people wouldn’t get along with this game for many reasons…

#37 1 year ago
  38. Rafa_L

@35 Dark souls is kind of a spiritual successor to demon souls, mainly because of copyright, since demon souls was exclusively to ps3.

It’s ok to have your opinion, of course, but dark souls is definately my favorite game ever. I agree with almost everything @37 wrote, and what really made it for me, is that this is the only game that keeps me on my toes, my heart actually races playing it, there are other games I love, but in general, I’m just going through the motions with them, in dark souls, besides the atmosphere, you’ve got a lot to lose dying or making a mistake, you can’t casual play it, and I love it.

If you are looking for a cinematic story, you won’t find it in dark souls, the story is kind of underneath every dialogue, it’s not very obvious, you won’t find cutscenes, but it’s actualy enjoyable. Anyway, maybe it’s really not for you, but you could try it again, and maybe you will discover what a great game it can be.

#38 1 year ago
  39. manamana

@CPC everything Telepathic wrote plus the fact that you get thrown into this game and noone takes you by the hand. You need to watch your steps and it’s slow-paced gameplay is seldom these days and rare in gaming. It really creates a gamingsession like nothing I’ve experienced before. And it totally works for this game, because of the atmosphere and fear of death. That said, I can absolutely see why others don’t have as much fun as I do. And there is only one person of my gaming friends who also gets the thrill out of this game. The others tried to like it but just couldn’t get along with it and prefer Skyrim …

#39 1 year ago
  40. Telepathic.Geometry

Yeah, I failed to get a couple of my friends into this game, and they had solid gaming credentials. It just wasn’t for them. It’s that kind of game…

#40 1 year ago