Epic Games president Mike Capps stepping down

Tuesday, 4th December 2012 21:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Mike Capps has announced his retirement as president of Epic Games in order to devote himself to his growing family.

In a cheerful post on the Epic Games community site, Capps said he’s fortunate at this point in his career to be able to take time off, as he has a baby on the way and wants to be “a stay at home dad for a while”.

“Other than cleaning up baby barf, I don’t have much planned. I might do some teaching, spend more time on creative writing, and maybe get more active with a few charities,” he said.

Capps has spent more than ten years at Epic Games, and has said that his devotion to the company, its games and his colleagues hasn’t swayed; he is “thrilled” to stay on the company’s board. While he’ll be around to offer advice and guidance to the developer, he also believes strongly in its existing talent.

“I’ve got great confidence in our executive team – VP of Development Paul Meegan is new to our Raleigh HQ, but we’ve worked with him for years, and I can only contemplate this retirement knowing that he and VP of Operations John Farnsworth can manage development better than I ever did,” Capps concluded.

All the best to Capps and his family.

Epic has number of titles on the boil including Fortnite, Infinity Blade: Dungeons and Gears of War: Judgment, which is due on Xbox 360 in March 2013.

1. Mike W

Damn, it seems Epic’s big wigs are all leaving or maybe they see a storm coming?

2. Erthazus

Nope. They are just all rich as hell and there is no reason to work further really.

3. Edo

@1″There’s a storm coming Mr.Wayne”,sorry couldn’t resist :),but seriously you are right,first Rod Ferguson( the producer of Gears of War )went to Irrational,then Cliffy B left and now this,hmmmm………

4. Mike W

@ 3
    Ha :D

I see what you did there. But back on topic, this is just absolute pure speculation on my part.

You may be right, but who knows.

5. Razor

They may be rich, but just sitting at home doing fuck all sounds… sounds… sounds pretty damn good, actually.

6. Hunam

I dunno. I think Epic have just reached a point where some people might feel there is little challenge left in the company. They are the one of the world leaders of videogames right now, and since the first of the old guard started leaving I wouldn’t be surprised if it stirred up the same feelings in the others.

7. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Trouble up mill.

8. manamana

What if M$ reaches their filthy hands out … Rare comes to mind …

Or

What if the nextBox is so underpowered, they prefer to develop for PC because UE4 looks shite on the nextGen console?

9. fearmonkey

@8 – “Oh No, what sort of trouble?”