Metal Gear Solid 4 Xbox 360 debunked by Konami

Wednesday, 28th November 2012 09:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Solid 4: 25th Anniversary Edition has been listed for Xbox 360 by New Zealand retailer MightyApe, along with pack art. But as it turns out, it’s all bollocks. Get Konami’s response below.

Update:

VG247 contacted its local Konami rep, who told us that Metal Gear Solid 4 is not coming out on Xbox 360. They told us that this is a rumour that pops up every Christmas, and that the pack art is for PS3 with an Xbox 360 header pasted on top, which of course, it clearly is.

Original story:

We’ve contacted Konami to comment on the above art.

Thanks OXM.

1. Gekidami

“Features:
    MGS4 pushes the power of the PLAYSTATION® 3 to its limits with cutting edge graphics and surround sound. It also aims to be the hallmark title for the new DUALSHOCK®3 controller.”

“Release date NZ
    November 1st, 2012″

Not very believable.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 no of course not, which is why I said it was a rumour eh ;)

Konami has debunked it to us now, Check out the update above.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Gekidami

…If it was so obviously bogus, why was the story featured?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 because retailers use place-holder pages all the time. It wasn’t obviously bogus seeing as the game is getting a re-pack release on PS3.

We’re a comprehensive news site that has to cover everything, even if it is a short in the dark rumour. People still want to know these things. Just doing my job :)

We contacted them and debunked it too, that in itself is a little story.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dragon246

Some rumors are hillarious, like this one. Its like saying halo 4 will be released on ps3. Sony paid 50% of game costs along with marketing.

#5 1 year ago
  6. daytripper

Was looking forward to the 14 disc special edition :-(

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkeygourmet

I got it for £5.00 second hand on PS3 and its awful. Unless your a big fan obviously.

Crappy, pseudo intellectual story, awful, awful counter intuitive controls and pretty average stealth gameplay.

I literally couldn’t play it for more than a couple of bourse without feeling annoyed.

Most over rated franchise ever for me.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gadzooks!

#7

After all the fanboy praise it got, I was expecting some amazing game. It’s one of the first things I tried when I bought my PS3.

Boy did I laugh when I played it. Just fucking awful to play, and it looked sooo basic.

Cutscenes looked nice enough but the story is just the biggest load of bollocks I ever heard.

It took an eternity to install and get to actual gameplay. Wasted time I can never get back.

Overrated doesn’t come close to describing this game.

Digital vomit is closer. Self-indulgent, semi-interactive wank is closer still.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Erthazus

It was a really good experience in my opinion. My only problem with it was that levels were too small and you got yourself a fuckton of gadgets that you never used in the end. Level design was awesome, but you got yourself almost infinite ammo in the end.
    Story was great, the moment where you fight in the mecha was freakin awesome (Hello, Zone Of the Enders!), the last boss was a lot of fun aka Tekken. Stealth gameplay was awesome but again, while level design was cool, levels were small, you had a lot of ammo and you got no choice but to destroy everything.
    Bosses in the game were just superb quality.

Oh well, Xbox users will always hate it because they never had PS3 anyway from the beggining. If you ask Eks Bawks threesixty fanboys about it they will tell you it is trash but when it will come to their favourite Semi-PC 2001 box with half-baked Windows 2000 OS they will call it a masterpiece obviously.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dragon246

@Erth
    Looks like you got you wish granted, MGS Ground Zeroes offers (maybe, but probably) everything you like plus, OPEN-WORLD Gameplay. How cool is that?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Erthazus

@10, yeah, they probably fixed everything. I think.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Clupula

I think MGS4 is a great game ONLY IF you’ve been a fan of the series, previously. I can’t imagine any of it would make the slightest bit of sense if you don’t know who all the players are and what the story up until that point are.

My biggest complaint is how little gameplay is involved in the last chapter. Up until then, i think they did a good blend of cutscenes/gameplay, but the last chapter felt too much like MGS2′s “walk two feet, watch a 30 minute cutscene, walk ten more feet, watch a 45 minute cutscene, boss battle.” I also didn’t like that they took away the healing/eating you had to do in MGS3.

Still, the Metal Gear series is probably one of my favorites and playing the Rising demo made me very happy because playing a Devil May Cry-style game in the Metal Gear world with all the appropriate canon touches was just awesome. I have yet to see any actual evidence where Kojima himself says that it is non-canon (being a spin-off does NOT mean non-canon, btw) and seeing the amount of info and lore they pumped into just the demo makes me feel even more confident that I wouldn’t be wasting my time with what would basically amount to fan-fiction otherwise.

The CODEC conversations about the fall of the Patriots and the SOP system, combined with seeing a Peace Walker-style AI boss made me very excited for the full product.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dave Cook

@12 “I think MGS4 is a great game ONLY IF you’ve been a fan of the series,”

Yeah I agree with that actually. The encyclopaedic lore is impenetrable unless you’ve done your homework or played the series before. Personally I think it’s mechanically sound, but I absolutely agree with what you’re saying here.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Da Man

Every Mgs is a great game if you’re a mentally handicapped patient in their 20s whose greatest joy is paraphrasing random people on the internet via equally handicapped attempts at engrish.

#14 1 year ago
  15. FBSKing

monkeygourmet: You’re an idiot if you play seemed pseudo intellectual is that you’re a pseudo stupid, if you could not play for a long time is probably your brain (if any) by overheated trying to think, something the shooters Xbox not let you do, do not comment stupid things, trash like you should never play or comment.

#15 1 year ago
  16. The Auracle

I wasn’t terribly impressed with the story in the fourth instalment but then again, MGS bored me after the second one. I did enjoy Metal Gear Online, however. That was fun.

Not expecting MGS4 to ever make the multiplatform jump but if it did, Konami would do well to reboot MG Online. It’d do well on LIVE, for sure.

#16 1 year ago
  17. FBSKing

Gadzooks!: You are the most vulgar that may have existed, if it seemed so ugly and so basic, that is just a reflection of your poor mind, moron, what kind of game you saw on youtube and it is confusing with the powerful MGS4 it is clear that you have not played the game with your dirty, dirty hands, you saw something on youtube and mistaking it, do not dare to talk about a game with such contempt without being completely sure, besides your opinion, an insignificant opinion is only trash, digital vomit, a plague, stop commenting unhappy wretch.

#17 1 year ago
  18. monkeygourmet

lol, I never use the word ‘Butthurt’, but it’s clearly applicable here.

Of course, no ones ever criticised the story of a Metal Gear game before… The are obviously the epitome of mans writing skills, sorry to have ever called that into question…

Look, you may enjoy the story, thats fine (like I said, it has fan service), but I know good gameplay when I see it, and frankly MGS 4 sucked from a gaming perspective unless you were a brain dead uber fan with blinkers on.

Even MGS3 pisses all over it in that sense.

It had broken shitty controls and mechanics, fact.

#18 1 year ago
  19. monkeygourmet

Sorry, Gadzooks! is bang on with this one, maybe you need to get your head out of Kojima’s arse so you can get some perspective in your life.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Deacon

(@17) There’s absolutely no point to bashing someone because of their taste in games and / or opinion on a certain game or series. No point at all.

Commenting just to berate those who enjoy said game makes you the bigger fool (see #14).

I don’t agree with Gadzooks either, but he seems to have made his decision and if you disagree with his take then it’s his loss! Let it go already.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Dragon246

@Deacon
    I like it how its perfectly fine for them to state their opinions as facts and berate other people for their tastes, but if someone even remotely suggests those same things for ms, ninty games (albeit in a much nicer manner), those people become fanboys.
    Cant we enjoy games and state our criticisms respectfully?

I agree with Clupula here, its very difficult to get into the series using mgs4 as a starting point. But I also think solid stealth gameplay that mgs series has perfected is in itself a great reason to play these games.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Da Man

Dickon, brah.

Tell me more about those braindead casuals whilst pointing out how I berate your sorry arse.

Not to mention I wasn’t even addressing anyone’s (let alone yours) taste.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Deacon

nah, you were just having a laugh, right? Cool.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Da Man

As for that Angst123 and his barely articulate, inane, self contradicting hysteria – get yourself a proper hobby or something. Else you’ll end up as another deprived mmo addict.

#24 1 year ago
  25. DarkKnight

Who is this FuckMan ?
    Why don’t you go fuck yourselves somewhere with a whore. But I guess cash-stripped bastards like you use a 360 to masturbate, so why not return to doing that? Hey, maybe you can call Bill Gates and he will send you a MS branded dildo for your pussy.
    Anyone who hates mgs is a asshole, fact.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Da Man

^Make three more alt accounts, dear sir,

Careful not to ylod while at it.

#26 1 year ago
  27. DarkKnight

FuckMan, why don’t you go fuck yourself. Is your 360 broke or is it stuck too deep in your ass? Your eyes might get RROD fast. Maybe you can suck a kinect while you are at it. Do send me a photo then.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Da Man

I always liked Mgs fans for their sense of irony.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Joe Musashi

This topic is full of La Li Lu Le Lol.

JM

#29 1 year ago
  30. FBSKing

MONKEYGOURMET
    All right, say what you want, I just dedicate myself to defend what is right, and say that MGS4 is garbage, or to play MGS4 is bad, is a terrible mistake, the game has better controls than most, but that is something you can not understand, still believe that the people who play it is brain dead, the opinion of the experts and those who have played from the beginning is what really matters, not yours.

#30 1 year ago
  31. monkeygourmet

And I return you to my original comment:

‘Unless your a big fan…’

Insecure about your fav franchise / console much? :D

#31 1 year ago
  32. FBSKing

Fucking monkeygurmet
    Shut up your filthy mouth, instead of saying stupid things, take some time to read over the internet and you will realize that MGS4 is a successful game for many things, and you could not process it with your tiny brain, you may have 13 or 14 years old, educate yourself and then discuss, so maybe get a perspective of reality and the gaming industry, stupid maniac.

#32 1 year ago
  33. monkeygourmet

Ha!

Having a go at me when the game sits on my shelf…

I even started a ‘game it forward club’ on the forum and offered the game up free to someone else who might enjoy it to try and spread a little gaming love…

How about this:

Go fuck yourself! :)

#33 1 year ago
  34. stretch215

Fbs king is HILARIOUS. You made my evening sir!

#34 1 year ago
  35. andrewdaroberts

@ 29

Still can’t help giggling at your comment. Well played, sir.

Do any of you play MGS as the pacifist? Or try to achieve Big Boss rank? I personally think that’s what sets MGS apart from any other game I’ve played. I bought MGS1 recently, and still enjoyed it as much as I did 10 years ago. As for MGS4, I played it on my friends PS3 (I own the “Eks Bawks threesixty”), after my first playthrough, I borrowed his PS3 for the weekend and played again, and again. And I’m pretty sure I’m not brain-dead.

#35 11 months ago