Gaming going through “single biggest inflection since its birth”, says ex-Pandemic boss

Tuesday, 27th November 2012 22:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Former Pandemic lead Greg Richardson believes the games industry is going through the greatest revolution of its decades-long existence.

Speaking to GamesIndustry, Richardson said his new developer-slash-publisher Rumble Entertainment is a new company built specifically for this new world.

“Fundamentally the game business is going through the single biggest inflection point since its birth,” he said.

“It’s a switch driven in large part by the fact that we are now surrounded by great connected gameplaying devices all day long, on phones, on laptop computers, and ecosystems that make gameplaying easier on Facebook, tablets.

“Consumers now want to live in a consumption-of-games-world that looks very different than ‘I need two hours in front of my big-screen TV in my living room and I’ve got to master a controller and basically have the dexterity of a fighter pilot in order to play the game.’”

Richardson said consumers now want to play games in shorter sessions; be more intimately connected; and not have to worry about platform divides.

“Finally, with free-to-play you don’t have to spend $60 to figure out if you want the experience. You can try the game, and if you fall in love with it end up spending a lot of time and hopefully some money on it,” he added.

Rumble is equipped for this new future because it doesn’t subscribe to the traditional model of a games “publisher”, Richardson explained.

“I think people think of publishers as kind of a business word that’s distinct from creating products. We’re primarily creators. The people here are developers; we’re inspired to create games that millions of people fall in love with. That’s why we’re doing this,” he said.

But because there’s no retail connection in the digital world, Rumble does publish its own products. It also hopes to publish the works of others, helping out with capital and back-end technology.

“It’s our re-invention of what a publisher is,” Richardson said.

Rumble’s current projects are a browser-based action RPG called KingsRoad, currently in beta, and Nightmare Guardians, which boasts cross-platform play between mobile and web.

1. Cobra951

This disturbing vision of real gaming getting swept away by a tidal wave of tiny-screen casualware makes me shudder.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Phoenixblight

@1 Will never happen its like saying the amount of viewers for AMerican Idol will take over Hollywood.

Its not the same thing. They can both co-exist. What I play between breaks at work is not what I play when I am at home.

#2 1 year ago
  3. monkeygourmet

They co-exist, but they defiantly pollute each other. That’s the scary thing.

Look at all the Step up to dance movies and shit like that.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Phoenixblight

You must be young because those type of movies have been there since the conception of films.

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

Lol, I don’t mind being called young! (31!) ;)

I meant more of how they are linked timing wise with other media. A sensory bombardment if you will.

It’s become a well oiled and intertwined machine.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Phoenixblight

Doesn’t matter those movies just like casual games will always exist along side of core games. One will not annihilate the other.

There will be Step Up while still being Marvel movies and whatever else you like.

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkeygourmet

Of course, we will never see ‘casual’ traits in our hardcore games… Like purchasing weapons packs in battlefield or free to play games… Wait a minute?! :/

My point being there is a cross over of sorts.

Do you think Nintendo for example will still be able to sell Tetris or Zoo Keeper for £29.99 on 3DS when you can get it for 69p on your phone and its shared between devices?

Of course it won’t. There even releasing some Pokemon stuff on iPhone.

I’m not saying casual will take over but the line between them is becoming increasingly blurred.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

Yeah so what if a developer monetizes their franchises that way. They are in the business to get paid. Nintendo,Microsoft, Sony and all the developers are not making a game out of the goodness of their heart. They are trying to get paid for their investment in money and work. Selling weapon packs is not something new and is not because of the casual games. They were selling DLC long before casual games were in the market. If anything DLC has shown people are willing to pay for these things on demand. The casual market just confirmed it for them.

You are really reaching.

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

Not really, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

The fact Nintendo has publicly addressed the issues of going up against IOS type casual games, started selling games like plants vs zombies on 3DS and opened up the Wii U with unity are all good examples of the cross overs of the 2 markets IMO.

Sony are offering numerous free to play games and MS are also following suit with Happy Wars.

Sony also offer multiple devices that run android and PS Suite. PS Vita uses cloud saves so you can ‘pick up and take your game with you’…

These are all indications that the 3 main companies are looking closely at the IOS casual game space.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Phoenixblight

Nice dancing around what I had spoken about. You didn’t address any of my comments. Not once Did I say that the big three were not looking into the casual market and following the trend.

There is money there devs and publisher would be morons not to dip into that market.

#10 1 year ago
  11. monkeygourmet

I don’t really understand your point I’m afraid.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Gheritt White

Two big concepts apply: the disappearance of mid-budget games and fewer, bigger bets.

#12 1 year ago
  13. absolutezero

“all the developers are not making a game out of the goodness of their heart. They are trying to get paid for their investment in money and work.”

Well thats a cheery out-look and if it actually is realistic then it means Video Games are even lower than cinema, music and literature than I thought.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Phoenixblight

Its the way the world works and cinema,music and literature follows the same rules. THey are putting their work in in hope of getting paid for their time.

I am sorry reality smacks you in the face but thats how it works. All the people working on a game especially the big games don’t even play the games they are developing. They just hope that is successful to keep their job to work on the next project. They love their work. I don’t play the game I make but damn do I love solving the problems that arises within the work period and coming to a resolution that makes the game or product that much closer to perfection. THats how I see it and how my Technical direct, lead designer and producers see it, sure we want to make the game as fun as possible to the consumers but at the end of the day its a job.

#14 1 year ago
  15. The Auracle

I’ll never get the disdain people have for other gaming experiences that aren’t fixed behind a keyboard & mouse/controller and big-screen telly.

I’m 26 and I think this is the natural order to things: new technology = new opportunities. It’s hardly ‘pollution’ when a developer wants to make use of a tablet or smartphone to add to the gaming experience. It’s their prerogative and like the old saying goes: nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I say go forth and conquer, Rumble Entertainment. More power to you for daring to venture away from the comfort zones some gamers are hell-bent on confining themselves to.

#15 1 year ago