Wii U profitable with just one game purchase, says Fils-aime

Wednesday, 21st November 2012 04:04 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime has said the purchase of just one game negates the loss Nintendo makes on each Wii U console.

“As soon as we get the consumer to buy one piece of software, then that entire transaction becomes profit positive,” Fils-Aime told Mercury News .

“In the end, the business model is still to drive the install base of hardware, and then to drive a strong tie ratio with all of the other software and experiences for the consumer. And if we’re able to do that, then we will create significant profit for the company.”

The Wii U is the first console Nintendo has sold at a loss at launch; with its wireless touchscreen GamePad, the hardware was difficult to make profitable; Nintendo said it chose to accept a loss to make the RRP consumer-friendly.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

In other words, it doesn’t really sell at a loss, because at the very least everybody has to buy one game, right? They should have made a more significant loss, thrown in a bigger battery, multitouch and extra ram/CPU. I’m honestly worried about Nintendo…

2. Francis O

Worried about what? The battery life? Its a home console you can plug it in when it needs a charge. Multitouch? Why? What games need multitouch? Multitouch was designed for devices that don’t have buttons, The Wii U does not need multitouch. That would have been a horrible decision.

The RAM and CPU are fine. The Games look good and developers will be able to create good games at an affordable cost. If you want better graphics go buy a PC.

The Wii U is fine. HD, MiiVerse, eShop, good launch titles, Pro Controller support. The Wii U is a blast to play. Nintendo just needs to make sure they release Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Zelda, Mario Kart, Pokemon, and Star Fox and I’m happy.

3. Telepathic.Geometry

Yeah, ya can say that but check over on Wired’s Game/Life or read a few other (in my opinion) trustworthy sites and they have a raft of complaints about the system. I have loved Ninty games for a donkey’s age, and I guess that as a dev, they will probably never die, but at the same time, I’d hate to see them get murdered in the modern gaming market because they didn’t splash out the cash on a gaming system that will have to be relevant until about 2020. I don’t think they’ve done that.

To throw that into context, I think the Wii was well designed for the times. I just think with Wii U they’ve pinched pennies a wee bit too much.

4. Digital Bamboo

@2 I wouldn’t complain if they decided to make another DKC, Punch-Out, or Super Mario RPG game either. And as long as they’re working with Square(Enix) again I wouldn’t mind terribly if they made a new Secret of Mana game.

5. Just-Joe

As long as the Wii U has games people want to play and buy, it should fine. Tech has never been a reason for a system winning a console cycle.

6. Dragon246

The loss thing is obviously a big fat lie.