22Cans launches Project Godus Kickstarter

Wednesday, 21st November 2012 18:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Peter Molyneux and 22Cans have launched a Kickstarter for Project Godus, an “innovative reinvention of Populous,” the original god game. It promises “exciting global co-operation, competition, creation and destruction to a whole new generation.”

“Populous was created over 22 years ago, and we believe that to date, nothing has come close to emulating its powerfully godlike experience,” reads the Kickstarter page. “It’s this experience we aim to re-imagine.

“GODUS blends the power, growth and scope of Populous with the detailed construction and multiplayer excitement of Dungeon Keeper and the intuitive interface and technical innovation of Black & White. The original Populous hailed from the 8-bit era but GODUS will use the most modern technology the world has to offer.”

Tier rewards and more information can be found on the Kickstarter project page.

So far, 111 backers have pledged £2,492 toward the £450,000 goal with 29 days to go.

Godus is being developed for PC and mobile devices and is slated for release in September 2013.

1. KrazyKraut

Thats why I dont like him. He talks too much shit.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ireland Michael

@1 Have you considered this is that game?

#2 1 year ago
  3. KrazyKraut

“When Curiosity succeeds” A little bit to early..dont you think? And with Kickstarter everything is possible

#3 1 year ago
  4. DSB

And then when this succeeds, he is going to sell the studio to Activision.

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

Really? A semi-rebirth of Populous? SOLD!

This might actually happen!
    I mean, he’s already crossed EA and Microsoft off his “To sell my studio to” list.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Old MacDonald

I’d love to play a new god game, but it needs to offer a solid single player component. If it doesn’t, then I’m not interested. So far all I see mentioned here is multiplayer, and until I’m convinced this won’t be some “social” bullcrap, but an actual, proper game that works even when there’s noone to play against, I’ll keep my money.

Or maybe help fund Maia instead.

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheWulf

This looks really sterile compared to Black & White. Black & White was a weakness for me, I adored that game. I adored my godzilla-like monster, I loved the charismatic little people, too, along with the representations of good and evil and their constant shenanigans.

But this? This looks sterile and dull. I think this goes a long way to prove that Molyneux wasn’t responsible for any of the successes of Bullfrog or Lionhead. He just took the right people with him from Bullfrog to Lionhead. I did like the original Fable, too, though the following two sequels were a profound exercise in boredom and dullness.

Still, I’ll remember Lionhead for Black & White and the original Fable. Which were, in my opinion, damned good games. Singularly brilliant in some ways, even. Even Black & White II won me over by letting me mod and tinker with the AI.

I think I’ve mentioned this before, but good AI is a nerdboner source for me. ME3′s award winning multiplayer AI is something that makes me very, very happy. You can see how smart foes like Cerberus are. They understand why they should get the hell out of the way if suppressing fire is being laid down, instead of kamikaze-running into it, they know how to use smoke bombs at choke points to properly deal with suppressing fire, they know how to flank and distract, they know how to hit you with secret stealthed foes (like phantoms and dragoons) when distracting, and they know to provide armoured escorts to their big bads (the atlas).

And both Black & White games had great AI too. It wasn’t quite in the same way as it wasn’t so structured, but the way the critter could learn, and what he’d do over time was fascinating. I’d even read about how some people had made him neurotic, introducing truly insane behavioural patterns. That wasn’t something I’d do with mine because it was cruel, but I respected that the AI was smart enough to respond to abuse.

This is something we really don’t see a lot of any more: Smart AI. Now part of that is because of the limited nature of consoles. The AI of ME3 as I understand it doesn’t operate as well on consoles as on PC, likely due to them having to cut it down a bit. But still… the PC exists.

Good AI isn’t all I want, though. I’d want a charming game or something that would make me compelled to give a damn as to why the good AI is there. In ME3, this compulsion comes from protecting my team mates on higher difficulties. And when playing on silver or gold, I’ve learned to really respect some of the enemy types. Black & White won me over with endless charm, charisma, beauty, and fun.

But even if they bother with such brilliant AI for this (which I doubt), I won’t care. I won’t care because the proceedings look so completely sterile. I wasn’t a fan of Populous, because I didn’t give a damn about what happened to my little people. A god game has to be very specific in order for me to have any interest in it whatsoever.

Suffice it to say, going by what they’ve shown thus far? I have no interest in Godus whatsoever.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Kabby

Molyneux has no shame.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Telepathic.Geometry

The way I see it, we are being asked for money by a guy who has bullshitted us many many times, who is well known to exagerate and over-hype games he’s developing, and who has even admitted himself that he sometimes bullshits the fans because of his enthusiasm for the media.

All in all, he is not to be trusted.

#9 1 year ago
  10. silkvg247

The last remake of populous was horrifically bad.

I hope they try to keep the gameplay somewhere close to what actually made it good this time.

Though mashing in DK and B&W doesn’t sound promising.

#10 1 year ago