Wii games played on Wii U reportedly look much better when played on HDTV

Tuesday, 20th November 2012 13:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Wii U owners are reporting that when playing Wii games on their new console via an HDTV with 1080p display resolution, the game actually look better – which is good news for those who’ve amassed quite a large Wii library over the years. While the backwards compatible console doesn’t render older games in 1080p, Wii U will upscale the games in the same manner as a decent HDTV line. While the games won’t contain as much detail as the newer Wii U offerings, rough edges are smoothed and few touch ups will at least be applied. In short, your Wii games may not look “as good” as your Wii U games on your spankingly nice TV, but they won’t look horrible either, and that’s a good thing. Via: NeoGAF, CVG.

1. Hirmetrium

I thought most Wii games could actually run natively at quite high resolutions? At least, Dolphin emulations did. Apparently a lot of the higher resolution textures were already in some games.

#1 1 year ago
  2. ManuOtaku

Well i didnt had any problems with my composite cable, i do have my wii connected to my HDTV, the same i use for my ps3 and 360, and the games did looked good either way, i thought this was granted on the WiiU too, not better or worse just the same, i dont see the big deal unless wii owners didnt had the composite cables in the first place, in that case it is a big deal, mario galaxy with those cables looked almost as good as banjo nuts and bolts, and that is saying a lot of those nintedo wizards developers.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Cobra951

They run at 480p, and as anyone who plays their movie DVDs on a good progressive upscaling player can attest, 480p can look quite good on an HDTV.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Showmeyomoves!

I suspect these people didn’t use component cables for their Wii.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Mike W

I have to check that out. I can tell you that the batman game for the Wii U is not that great at all. It’s choppy as hell

#5 1 year ago