Mass Effect 4: ‘sequel or prequel?’ asks BioWare

Tuesday, 20th November 2012 08:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Mass Effect 4 is no big secret, in fact VG247 recently discussed BioWare Montreal’s approach to the games hero recently. BioWare’s Casey Hudson has asked fans for their thoughts on when the next game should be set.

Over on Twitter, Hudson asked fans, “Parsing through your thoughts on the next #ME game. Would you be more interested in a game that takes place before the trilogy, or after?”

Either way, BioWare is clear on one thing: that it doesn’t want the game’s hero to be ‘Shepard 2′, and wants them to be a very different kind of person to the heroic commander we know from the current trilogy.

BioWare Montreal producer Fabrice Condominas told us at a recent EA showcase, “We don’t want to make ‘Shepard 2′, or Mass Effect 4 with like, ‘Oh there’s no more Shepard but you’re a soldier in the universe’. So this will be a very, very different context for sure, and nothing has been decided on the rest.”

Just a few weeks ago, BioWare Montreal published a surprise manifesto regarding its handling of Mass Effect 4, stating that it would be treated with the utmost respect. The statement also revealed the game would run in Frostbite 2.

BioWare Montreal studio director Yanick Roy said, “While it will be very respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games, with the original trilogy now concluded and the switch over to a new engine, we are exploring new directions, both gameplay and story on the fronts.

“You can still expect the pillars for the deductible is known to be fully intact though, including diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore, and of course rich, cinematic storytelling.”

So what do you think? Prequel or sequel? What might that look like in your mind? Let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. tezzer1985

I would prefer a sequel, They should keep pushing the series forward.

2. TerraZet

I prefer neither. They should have ended it at 3 and gone out with a bang instead it was a terrible attempt to be ‘artistic’ and ended up with one of the worst games I’ve played this year

3. GwynbleiddiuM

Definitely after, past is gone and is insignificant, I wanna know what happens a few years after the the events of ME3.

4. Gheritt White

Anyone who thinks that ME3 is even CLOSE to being a bad game shouldn’t be let near a console. Damnation or X-Men: Destiny (for example) are *bad* games – ME3 is not poor quality in the slightest, no matter how butt-hurt you were by the narrative.

Anyway, I’d like to see a prequel detailing the First Contact war.

5. friendlydave

I don’t really care when the game is based, I just want more Mass Effect :D But if I must chose I would like it to be way into the future where the stories of Shepard are nothing but myths. Or the opposite extreme and have it set way into the past, Prothean slaves, Inusannon ect..

6. Edo

I don’t care,I just want more colors to choose from in the end…purple,yes add purple.

7. viralshag

I’m with #4, First Contact War would be an awesome setting but then so would most of the wars that went on pre-reaper.

8. Erthazus

Every Mass Effect game was a poor shooter with horrible plot and awful RPG elements.

In the third game they finally understood that it should be a TP shooter with perks but still as a shooter that thing is nowhere near Gears Of War games on UE3.0

Anyway, Mass Effect 4 on the Frostbyte engine will not make it much better then the first three games. I want decent dialog system, not a shitty wheel of fortune with blue/red choices, decent plot, decent shooting mechanics or great RPG elements first of all.

FROSTBYTE should be used for games like Battlefield that must look great.

9. kadu

I am sorry for most of the ME3 team. They did great, but their game will be remembered as poor by many, many gamers (myslef included), because the guys responsible for ending screwed it up.

10. Erthazus

I don’t care about ending, for me it was decent. Bioware are creators and they can do what they want with the ending and no one should judge them for it.

But Mass Effect was just a poor game in everything.

11. Telepathic.Geometry

Prequels could be tricky to write, it might be better to write a story about how – after a couple of hundred years after all of the gates were closed/destroyed – some space dudes were finally able to get space travel going again, and travelled around getting all of the races back together again.

It might be interesting to see what became of the various races after the war…

12. friendlydave

This might spark something, if it does ignore this comment, but why does everyone dislike the ending? Circumstances meant I was away from the internet when all this blew up and I’ve never looked into it, but when I finally got round to playing ME3 I thought the ending was fine, a little bit rushed but still good.

I agree with #8 that the shooting and RPG elements where terrible, dialogue was ok in my opinion though. Should of evolved the RPG elements more from ME1

13. Hirmetrium

I will admit, until the end, Mass Effect 3 was gunning for Game of the Year for me. It was so well put together – combat was satisfying, customisation had comeback with a vengeance, even the multiplayer which was arbitrary and 1 dimensional was actually sort of fun, with lottery packs being very exciting (DO I GET MY AWESOME KROGAN? DO I?)

But Jesus Christ, the ending was so bad that I just have no desire to really play again. The last mission didn’t reflect any of the brilliance of others, and while it felt “desperate” it also felt as if it dragged on.

Now, I’m not an atheist, but to stick a god-like character in there was a bullshit move. To not explain any of the reaper motivations, and have TIM sprout bullshit at the end, and have options that I was unable to select in my last conversation with him (leading to me dying a few times AND HAVING TO SIT THROUGH THE WHOLE THING AGAIN BECAUSE I COULDN’T SKIP IT) all fucked the ending right up for me. I would of been much happier if the artifact just fired and Shepard and Anderson died together, looking out over the battle, and the free people won as the reapers were destroyed.

I’m not thrilled Casey Hudson has kept his creative role on ME, when I hear it was mostly him that caused this massive omnishambles of an ending. It doesn’t keep my faith. I just hope that they can make a sequel which can erase all the bullshit that they made up for the end, then I might be happy with the franchise again.

I can see either working, but they will need to put more effort in a sequel than a prequel. Established lore is always easy to use. Rachni wars and First contact war are both awesome options. I’d love to see Krogan/Asari/Salarians all trying to stop the Rachni, or explore the relationship between the Humans/Turians (especially with Ash’s Grandfather, that would be an awesome throwback).

14. roadkill

I love all Mass Effect games. And I’d want to see a sequel. I’d want to see more of how the galaxy evolved after I chose synthesis. :)

15. Da Man

I really have issues understanding the logic of someone who states Gears of War is better than ME citing plot, rpg elements and engine.. But then perhaps it’s just that horrible communication skills?

Especially seeing as how that someone haven’t played Gears..

16. ManuOtaku

I will go with the people that want a prequel to any of the previous wars, i think they can do a trilogy out of this, and then the next trilogy on a sequel to the first trilogy, the good thing is either way gamers will have a great following for the mass effect lore story, we cannot loose, either direction is great IMHO.

17. AnklaX

I don’t want a new game but if they must, I have a great idea, I think. Fast forward 25000 years. A new alien species emerges out of a relay. Some of you may know that they kept from discovering new reaches of space to limit first contacts. These new aliens have teleport tech with mass relays destroyed ? no. Well thats why I don’t really want a new game. They started harvesting all aliens. The galaxy knows about what happened with the reapers because of Liara’s long life spent to make sure the greatest chapter of galactic history survives. But these new aliens were undiscovered during the events of ME3 and don’t know what happened. Turns out they have their own problems with AI and they have reached the save idea of conservation of organic life as those who created the reapers. Now wait just a minute. How can this be done If shephard chose synthesis in ME3. Another reason why I really don’t want a new game. Other than that, while my idea is pretty good, its pretty much the same story. Its about stopping history from repeating itself.

But with EA as publisher, I wont be surprised if they choose a similar story just to milk money from gamers. I don’t understand how can someone who played burnout paradise can like the new most wanted. It was such a cheap blow to those who bought it. I hope Casey Hudson comes up with something really good. I love how they made opportunity for good new story from the old story of Halo series. I’d like that if Casey can do something similar.

18. Custard Ganet

Sequel please,i guess they will have to set it far into the future if they choose to do a sequel so players choices at the end of ME3 wont affect it.

19. NeoSquall

I vote for a sequel.
    I’d like to see what ending BioWare will take as canon and expand upon it.
    Imagine if they take Synthesis as Canon and the story is set 2-3000 years in the future, when a mysterious synthetic-infecting plague scours the galaxy and the Council (if it’s still there with the same powers) dispatches a Spectre to investigate the situation.
    Both the Spectre protagonist and his retinue (that could also include other Spectres or trainees) could be selected from a pool of races that includes most known races and also new ones discovered in the time lapse.
    Classes should be reworked to include some basic tech skills as a consequence of the Synthesis, and also some Biotic ones to be coherent with the obvious reseraches and discoveries made by the scientists.

20. TheWulf

A prequel would be boring.

Building off synthesis or control would take bravery and good writing, yes, but they could do all sorts of interesting things with that. To the contrary, a prequel would remove a number of races from the equation. No geth is a bloody humongous deal for me, a lack of them would be a deal-breaker in regards to my interest in the continuation of the franchise. Couple that with further alien removals due to a lack of relations, and I’d have absolutely no interest at all.

One of the reasons that Mass Effect 3 was less compelling than 2 was because it focused on human characters, and it’s been proved time and again that they’re as dull as dishwater when compared to the aliens. Garrus, Mordin, Legion, et cetera? I’m sorry, but Steve, Vega, Miranda, and company don’t hold a candle to them. Going for a prequel and not having a focus on the aliens due to a lack of relations due to diplomatic relations at the time.

Couple this with how the past is written in stone. It’s been covered by not only the games, but a load of comics and database lore too, all of which is canon. To go for a prequel game, they’d have to retcon things, and that would likely upset a lot of fans. It also means less developed technology, and it means no new discoveries, because we already know all of what’s out there due to what’s available from Mass Effect 1 onwards.

These are some pretty profound reasons as to why a prequel would be a very, very bad idea. But a sequel is great because, if handled properly, they could open up the playable races, Dragon Age style. I’d be more than happy to be a turian, backed up by a geth prime and a salarian. Or perhaps even a geth prime, which would be simply amazing.

A sequel allows them to tell a new story of discovery. A prequel just means they’re retreading old ground. I’m already so familiar with the lore that I just wouldn’t bother buying a prequel. Like I said, the only way they could make it interesting would be to retcon the history entirely. Kind of like the ridiculous temporal wars of recent Star Trek.

I’m not a fan of that. It’s just rife with bad writing.

So my vote’s for a sequel. Which is what they’ll do if they’re smart.

21. TheWulf

@17: That’s actually not a bad idea. Not to mention that most of the old races would still be around thanks to synthesis, but there’d be a whole lot of stuff to catch up on. Though I might not go for such a big gap. Maybe… 500 years?

22. TheWulf

Also, the ending of Mass Effect 3 didn’t ruin it at all for me. I thought that it was exciting and provided for a lot of interesting potential future scenarios. Furthermore, no matter how you feel about the ending, you can’t deny that the game had some utterly fantastic genre defining moments – like this one.

That’s why I know that they have it in them to make a brilliant game. That moment, right there, is one of my favourite moments of RPG history. Very rarely have I been punched in the feels like that. The only other game to manage it was Mask of the Betrayer. And that’s saying something.

23. Marcusaur

I understand the arguments against doing a prequel, but personally, I really hate the idea of BioWare having to choose a ‘canon’ ME3 ending to continue the universe with. Whether or not you liked it, the ME3 ending allowed players the ultimate choice in deciding how the galaxy turned out, and even though in the game, each ending had a very similar cinematic sequence, each one would affect the universe in very different ways in the long term.

Choosing one particular version of events to take the series forward in would feel to me like BioWare saying that the choice of two-thirds of players didn’t matter, that it’s their universe and they’re deciding what REALLY happened. Of course, it IS their universe and they are entitled to do that, but the whole magic of the trilogy was in knowing that your choices genuinely affected the outcome of the story, and I kinda feel that doing a post-ME3 game would ruin that.

24. friendlydave

“but the whole magic of the trilogy was in knowing that your choices genuinely affected the outcome of the story”

The problem with this is, if they do a prequel around events established in the games the outcome is already fixed too.

There’s problems in both doing a prequel and sequel but I’m sure Bioware will sort it out.

25. Marcusaur

@24 – Fair point, although I think it’s probably possible to do a new story that’s set in an established timeframe of the ME universe without necessarily linking it to established concrete events already detailed in the trilogy’s backstory. The Mass Effect galaxy is big enough for BioWare to create entirely new characters, factions and locations in a story with different paths and outcomes that doesn’t have to link directly with the trilogy’s storyline.

I do see the point that having smaller-scale drama that doesn’t have galaxy-wide consequences is a step backwards from the trilogy, but I suppose I would just personally quite enjoy a plot that’s largely independent from, yet equally engaging as, Shepard’s adventures. I agree entirely though that Bioware will probably produce something amazing regardless of what direction they take the story in.

26. fearmonkey

I think a Prequel could be done very well, give us the back story for the first contact war, give us a trilogy based on the prothean battle against the reapers, or even a earlier race than that.
    Tell the story of the geth vs quarians, or a beginning history of the different races.

If they don’t want the reapers to be in the picture, go back when a different foe and race was the issue, like knights of the old republic.

Make it like Wing commander:Privateer where its based on the dark side of mass effect universe rather than the light side, smugglers, mercs, assassins, bounty hunters, etc,

I just hope if they go further in the future they don’t go to far, I don’t like when games skip too far when starting a sequel series.

27. reaper1417

A sequel would be a good choice. Well here’s how I think 4 should go. It’s set 30 years later and shepherd along with the rest of his crew is dead, and the galaxy is on a resource crisis, but 10 years after ME3′s aftermath some of the scientists creat a FTL tech called accelerated FTL because it allows us to go a million times faster than the original. In which this tech was spread across the galaxy and brought everyone back together. Then here’s the story. The galaxy is in a resource crisis (recently mentioned) and they are gonna use the AFTL tech to go to a different galaxy. But when they got to the Andromana galaxy. There was nothing there then they went to a different one which there was an extremly advanced and hostile super race as I would call it. And they attack us but then find out that they’re the creators of the reapers and they were planning on creating and sending more but we came to them and started to destroy our galaxy by taking control of the massive black hole at the center of our galaxy and destroys the galaxy so much to where it doesn’t exist anymore. So we set refuge in a different galaxy with half of the galaxies population left then hide 4 some time. Then one of histories gaps in the long lost reaper extinction of a species that was supposed to be destroyed but come back to assist us and they knew bc they had a warning system 4 just in case another set of species survive. Then the rest can be thought of by whoever. But it would start out as a normal middle class civilian of any race that gets caught up in this after the first 10 minutes of the game and becomes apart of a small powerful crew of 4 and the sheperd like person dies and becomes the leader and was sent on missions bye the remaining military which was too important to screw up. So there u go

28. valfareinwindir

Hmm, I think sequel. Possibly have it so you can play as different, reasonable races(at least humanoid, eg. no volus). make it at least 500 years ahead of ME3, just to allow for time for evolution. Have more bearing of choice making, so essentially if you’re an a***hole you get quite a different turn of events. Make companions not too dissimilar to the old ones to create a familiarity with the previous games (perhaps relatives?). avoid making it reaper based, that ship has sailed time for a new enemy/enemies.

29. Virtus_Maximus

*sigh*….I don’t understand why would they(Bioware) make such an ending in the first place, since they knew it would come afterwards to bite their asses off completely.
    First of all, as human beings, they should know better than making crappy endings, unavoidable ones at that(ME2 had both crappy and happy so it stays #1 in my heart), because their co-human beings, no matter the plot and story, NEVER get bored of happy endings, and will ALWAYS hate the crappy ones.
    Secondly, suppose they’re retarded aliens unfamiliar with human emotion. Even as a developer studio looking to make money, you can’t expect the fans of the two excellent previous games to love the shitpie you just handed to them, murdering everything they loved in the worst way possible never to be seen again. Seriously, Mac Walters should be publicly hanged if he’s the one responsible for the ending story.
    And last, even if Bioware doesn’t give a big one for fans, or a good story, or whatever, if they knew they’d continue the series why, and I say again, WHY make an ending where no options for sequels are left? Only thing they can do right now is make a very, very good prequel which justifies everything fans did in the 3 games was not in vain. Because sincerely? I didn’t spend over 100 hours in ME1 and over 300 in ME2 so that some shitty transparent kid can come to me at the end of it all and tell me what to do. I want it justified. They can’t, but I still want.
    Now, they have angry fans and no options for a sequel. Unless they go with the reapers-devour-all ending and we’re left to play with future races we don’t care about, a character we don’t like, and with team mates that are nothing compared to our last ones(garrus,jack,liara,thane).
    Prequel. Make it very,very good, and then a sequel where Shepard wakes up in rubble, meets with Jack and takes her up on her offer in the naughtiest way possible. Cheers.

30. BLUE

I would like a sequel that includes looking into the lives of the squad members who survived in ME3. It would be interesting to see the romanced character search for Shepard and show the rest of the squad either reunite with Shepard or recover Shepard’s body depending on which ending you had last in ME3. I romanced Liara and would like to see what happens to her and their little blue children as well as more of that fine blue physique of hers mainly because i’m just a perv when it comes to Liara. Also does Joker die from his disease and does Edi feel anything about it because she is a robot? Does Tali get that spot of land she claimed on her homeland after the truce between the Quarians and the Geth? These are just a few lives they could continue. Also does Javik get pursued and famous for being the only Prothean alive. As far as the bigger enemies, the universe is huge and leaves room for creativity and possibly some returning enemies like rogue Geth and some hiding Collectors. I would like my save to transfer because it took a while to complete everything perfectly and I want to see the story continue.

31. Clupula

If they make a sequel, I want my choice at the end to actually have an impact. Being I chose to destroy synthetics, I’d feel really ripped off if there was synthetic life in the sequel.

I’m sure they can write in such a way that the choice Shepard made at the end actually means something in the story. Bioware should NOT choose one of the three to be canon. It should be solely based on what your decision was at the end of 3.

I also don’t really want a prequel, since we already know what is supposed to happen.

32. Clupula

What I would like to see is a totally new story set in the universe recovering from the Reaper attacks. I’d like cameos by whoever survived my story, but no more than one or two characters should return.

I’d like them to do it more like Dragon Age: Origins, this time, though, where you can choose the race of your character.

33. Agt_Pendergast

I want it a sequel so I can play as Reaper Shepard.

34. Clupula

I don’t think there will even be an option to play as Shepard in either a prequel or a sequel. The most Shepard might get is a mention, based on what his/her actions were at the end of ME3.

35. Agt_Pendergast

@#34 Yeah, I know. I just want to play as Reaper Shepard. Maybe as DLC for 3? Also, if you went with control, shouldn’t there still be a fleet of Reapers in the galaxy for the rest of time that prevent any major incidents from happening? What could the story for 4 be in that case?

36. AllFatherWuotan

What I’d like to see in 4 is the ability to choose different races to start out. Like be a Drell, an Asari, a Krogan… That would be cool.

Thing is though, it wouldn’t work for Hanars, Volus’, or Elcors.

37. Cloud9Gamer

I agree with many. Mass Effect 4 needs to take place after the events of Mass Effect 3. If not what was the point of the 3 choice ending in ME3?
    Unlike many I enjoyed the tri-ending and watching them. I was ecstatic because I knew they would continue the series.All this talk of prequel however is a real turn off towards anticipation.
    ME3 had major glitches and as the talk of running it on Frosbite 2 I hope they realize one thing that many companies are forgetting now days.
    Yes we love graphics, shading, smooth playing, but more so don’t ruin the story line.
    I’m a huge fan of Hideo Kojima for the simple fact the man loves pushing video game systems to their limits.
    I wish all video game creators did this rather than pushing out a game that’ll take 24hrs to beat and throw in mostly multiplayer.Give us challenge, thrills.
    *Great example* in ME2 the final push at the end where you have to chose who you want to help you;how epic the fighting was, and just the overall feeling of when I lost some men.
    Another was in ME3 when I thought Grunt died.
    Please keep up the hard work and never stop pushing the limits to the gaming industry.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Samoan Spider

I’m going to hedge my bets on this one. I’d love to see the series move forward and carry on a few years after the reaper menace but you have 1/3rd (or 1/4th) of a chance that the galaxy has hit the reset button so that may not tie in nicely with peoples games and/or thoughts on what is happening. But it’d be great none the less.
    But a prequel would also nicely fit, perhaps the first contact war would be good, or somewhere in the middle where humans are trying to assert themselves without a shiny turian ship and spectre status.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Cloud9Gamer

Me again sorry read up on some more ideas and well as i didn’t throw actual ideas in here it goes…
    as i said sequel.
    I don’t get how Shepard would come back then again I don’t care.
    I’ve been ready to use someone else for some time. I mean I know it’s a game but I appreciate the idea of some reality to it. So should Shepard come back make him IDK the president or director over the new elite N7 or something. He can be retired from combat aged and possibly with kids depending how your save files are.
    Same goes for who ever else of Shepard’s mates still exist in your play.
    - I’ve been asking for this since 2 but please incorperate some type of creation possible where you dont have to be a human.THAT is getting old.Let us choose (Krogan,Drell,Asari,Turian, etc.)
    - It’d be sweet if the story goes almost how Shepard started except you are a rookie who just signed up for the N7 elite group.
    - You are asked a set series of questions of course to decide what you are as far as tech,biotic,infiltrator etc.
    - Depending on how you accomplish your missions according to the class you choose or become,your character ranks up through your squad.As war and battles are there’s chance for the loss of a member but YOUR tenacity can save the group or a single man down. Just as there is a bleed out time in Co-OP so there should be on story mode.
    Causing the conflict do I lose a comrade for the sake of my mission or deal with the repercussions.
    Stuff like that I feel would win back alot of fans they’ve lost with ME3.
    LASTLY This is a wild one but jeeze if you have to and I doubt fans would mind. But if you were to make 4 and were bringing back online. goto duel discs if you have to and im talking for PS3 as well. DONT sacrifice the length of a games storyline to incorperate multiplayer.
    yea it might cost a lil more for us and you but sheeze sacrifices need to be made for an ELITE game.

#39 1 year ago
  40. mcdoty

I would love to see a sequel as some mentioned, much in the future after Sheppard is just a myth, and some “space geeks” have made intragalactic space travel feasable again. This would also be a great way to mend ties with most fans who are angry about ME3′s ending. Make whatever end decision was made by fans actually matter, i.e. there are no geth, or that everyone is part synthetic (as sheppard was part synthetic it obviously doesn’t have to change types of interactions or abilities), it wouldn’t have to affect the major parts of the plot, but maybe just characters you can or cannot meet, side quests, or dialogue options. Easily rechosen at the begining of the game to erase any importing challenges, kind of like how you chose your backstory for sheppard when creating your character. I wouldn’t be nearly as mad about the devastating ME3 ending, and how nothing I did throught the entire 3 games changed the outcome, if my final choice actually mattered. Although, I don’t know, maybe I am just bitter about the Sheppard trilogy, I didn’t want to see it end like that. And as long as in the new games, my husband and I (who always have very different characters, and make clearly different choices) don’t have the exact same outcome for our final decision, and we have the potential to succeed or fail at what we have chosen, based on our character, I will be happy! Although, I don’t think I would play a prequel, not until after a sequel restores my hope for the Mass Effect Universe. I just wouldn’t be able to find motivation to play a plot where I know the outcome, and it isn’t very promising or happy. That just sounds depressing. All a prequel will do for a lot of fans is remind them what is going to happen at the end of it all. Unless they go way the heck back to before or at the time the reapers were created, but who wants to play something where there are no humans? I might, but that would lose allure for a lot of people.

#40 1 year ago
  41. mcdoty

I would love a sequel that said, “hey Sheppard fought the Reapers, and won!” Which is what most fans wanted out of ME3, and starts off right after a building of the new citadel, maybe with some random tributes and memorials for major battles in the scenery, just for nostalgia. But that would be like bioware publicly apologizing, and stating they were wrong, and being genuine about it. But, that just doesn’t happen anymore in our society. They made their bed, and now we all have to lay in it. I would still love some random memorials and nostalgia in a sequel, and hope for the future of mankind, and all other galactic species, and hope for space travel.

#41 1 year ago
  42. mcdoty

Sorry to post again, but I absolutely agree with chosing a race. Also, it would be great if the personality options were more than just paragon and renegade. Humans or Aliens that we can relate to are (or should be) so much more complex than just good or bad, maybe having options available depending also on how balanced you are, not just how extreme you are.

#42 1 year ago
  43. noamlol2

just leave it be biocrap

after that poorly executed sequel (mass effect 3) just let the ME series sleep peacefully

we don’t want another DLC bait+microtranactions fill of shitty unfinished product

#43 1 year ago
  44. Topmanste26

you know what i think? you should set it after the trilogy but don’t take shepard out.. you take shepard out and its not gunna be as good..make it a sequel. i know it might be hard to come up with ideas for shepard but it’ll be much better then whoever this new character is because no matter how much you say ya don’t want it to be ‘shepard 2′…its always gunna be shepard 2.. no matter what

#44 2 months ago