GameStop quarterly financials note sales decline in physical, 31.8% growth in digital

Thursday, 15th November 2012 15:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GameStop has reported a decline in physical sales in its latest quarterly financial release, but digital sale are on the up for the gaming retail giant.

Digital sales were up 31.8% year-over-year to $127 million. Tablets and pre-owned mobile phones sales came in at $43.2 million. The firm noted a decline in new and pre-owned software and hardware.

“Diligent operational efforts in a tough video game market as well as continued margin expansion of 200 basis points resulted in third quarter earnings exceeding expectations,” CEO Paul Raines stated.

“We are now focused on delivering a successful holiday quarter driven by great titles, an unrivaled loyalty program, exciting new businesses and the Wii U launch.”

Sales for the period fell 8.3% year-over-year, with global sales down 8.9% to $1.77 billion.

Thank, MCV.

1. Cobra951

[:)]

This is no surprise. Digital is eventually going to take over, but in Gamestop’s case, digital would go up regardless, since they started out from zip not too long ago.

2. NocturnalB

Digital is garbage and will never take over. LOTS and lots of people out there like myself who like to actually own their property, not just rent it.

3. Phoenixblight

Keep saying that. Trends show you are wrong. You will be one of those old people saying cassettes are better than CDs.

4. xxJPRACERxx

I think audio CDs are still better than the majority of DD services (except those lossless) and Bluray is still better than NetFlix, mainly because there’s a difference in quality (CD vs mp3 / Blu vs lower than Blu bitrate mp4).

But for games there’s no difference so I prefer DD in this case.

5. Cangriman

I don’t know how I feel about everything going digitally. I don’t mind so much in the music department, but games and movies I have to own the physical for some reason. So probably I will be one of those guys who will still buy games and movies physical until they take them out completely from the market.